Manchester United Talk banner

301 - 320 of 324 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
SSN has confrimed Sturridge is out for the Brazil game. It's a real shame for him. 30mins into his first start too.

He was great for Team GB at the Olympics and obviously has a future with England. Shame he won't be playing in Europe next season...

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Away at Wembley against a team ranked in the World top 10? Yes, seriously...well done.

I bet £20 on England winning tonight. That's how sure (wrong) I was.

I genuinely think it's a good result for Ireland. Don't you?

England are shocking man. Playing an outdated system like us and are really nothing to be feared. It's not that hard to get a result there these days so to congratulate us for drawing, forgive me if I don't feel all that good about it.

Must have got dreadful odds man.

I'm not that impressed. Like I said, ye looked fairly fucking hopeless there tonight and we are shocking.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Roy Hodgson comparing England to Borussia Dortmund... :facepalm
The biggest load of shit I have read all week.

Dortmund don't ever play 4-4-2, they play a very fluid 4-2-3-1 with a high tempo. We play a very outdated 4-4-2 that is still being used despite it being proven that it's useless for countless tournaments.

We will never succeed or come close to succeeding with that system, not in a million years.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
England are shocking man. Playing an outdated system like us and are really nothing to be feared. It's not that hard to get a result there these days so to congratulate us for drawing, forgive me if I don't feel all that good about it.

Must have got dreadful odds man.

I'm not that impressed. Like I said, ye looked fairly f**king hopeless there tonight and we are shocking.
We were odds on (4/9). Obviously English bookies will heavily favour England but I really thought we'd win tonight.

Perhaps it's English pride but I think we are capable of beating almost any team at Wembley (Spain, Italy, Argentina, Brazil etc I wouldn't be expecting a win). I know we're not a team people fear but we are definitely hard to beat so a draw is, at least, a credible result for Ireland.

It's been a long, long time since I bought into the "we're world beaters" media bollocks but we can win games against major oppostion if only in friendlies (1-0 win against Spain for example). The problem is that, when it matters, we never, ever perform to our potential (good team on paper and all that).

Ireland aren't shocking. Qualifying for the last major tournament showed that you're a group of players that can work very, very well as a team. Unfortunately, as the Euro's showed, that's not always enough.

You do have some very good players though. Seamus Coleman in particular was excellent tonight.

S

·
0 Posts
I thought you'd at least enjoy watching England fail by now. :LOL:
I don't enjoy watching England do anything mate :D

From somewhere else. :p

Maybe the Irish can push on from this.
Maybe this will lead to a surge in popularity for their own sports and teams. Maybe they'll no longer feel the need to support teams from a different country or a country they profess to hate. Maybe this is the dawn of a new era for Irish football and their national league can reach new heights like that of the SPL and Welsh league.
©davidian
:LOL::LOL:

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
I don't enjoy watching England do anything mate :D

From somewhere else. :p

Maybe the Irish can push on from this.
Maybe this will lead to a surge in popularity for their own sports and teams. Maybe they'll no longer feel the need to support teams from a different country or a country they profess to hate. Maybe this is the dawn of a new era for Irish football and their national league can reach new heights like that of the SPL and Welsh league.
©davidian
:LOL::LOL:

We'll see who has the last laugh when Limerick win the champions league 3 years from now...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
This 4-4-2 debate has always struck me as incredibly facile. Seems like people get very hung up about how the TV company decides to line the team up on the pre-match graphic.

I only saw the second half of last night's game but quite clearly England created a lot of chances when they played through the middle. Rooney kept knocking it out wide and the crosses were easily dealt with by Ireland's giant CBs for whom Defoe (a relatively small player) didn't pose much threat. Wilshere (or failing that, Lallana) would be hugely beneficial to this team.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The formation is just an excuse and anyway Rooney is supposed to play in between the lines not as an out and out striker. Too many of those players just aren't up to international level. Hart, Baines, Cole, Carrick - Yes; Rooney and Walcott only in flashes; Oxlade and Jones are still raw; Lampard is past it; Cleverley, Wilshire, Gerrard and Welbeck would bring something to this team, but we're still too thin on depth and quality to be considered a top international side. Good international players have good movement, passing, stamina, speed and first touch. Our players may get away with it in the PL but at international level those deficiencies are exposed.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Funny that trap didn't give Wes Hoolhan a single minute. He's a legend in the game, but he just seems so anti football these days it's not even funny. I mean if it weren't for injuries and if he had it his way Coleman and McCarthy would be nowhere near the starting 11 either and there two of our best players. Does my head in :banghead:

301 - 320 of 324 Posts