Manchester United Talk banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Still not convinced Townsend is all that tbh, but fair play to him did well today.
He has better close control than your typical English winger, he is absolutely rapid too, even by Premier League standards.

You have to credit him though. His career looked to be getting away from him at points. You don't see many players ascending like that after so long on the loan merry go round.

I have him down as an 'interesting' player at this point. Let's see what he can do from here. Consistency is the key to being a top player.

·
I can't be arsed
4,680 Posts
Welbeck has been superb today. He does a lot of the unsung work by making tackles and pressing but he has also looked dangerous. He is a very reliable player.

England have looked good tonight, the front four looked potent. Throw Carrick in for Lampard and I think that we would have had a greater balance.

When you think that we had Wilshere, Carrick and Barkley on the bench, you would have to say that this England team is full of quality players, can we ever live up to our potential though?
Lets call them 'The Golden Generation' shall we?:eek:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
What doesn't convince you about him?
His first touch is poor. Runs into defenders too much.

And most of the time His only beating of a defender is his pace and when he does beat a defender on the outside crossing on the right isn't a strong point.

Otherwise he faints and cuts in to have a shot. In open games like when today Montenegro came at England 2nd half he can be asset, but otherwise he lacks finesse to be top class.

Even Callum Mcmanaman has had great games at Wembley recently but as far as Townsend is concerned he reminds me of Ashley Young during his purple patch at Villa. Probably not at those levels yet either.

But we'll see if he can keep this form going for longer. Especially if he can work on his long range shooting and make it more accurate than even now or otherwise i can't see him amounting to that much in the Long term.

Though in the short term he definitely has utility like Ashley Young did for a while.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Townsend is two footed and can come inside or go to the byline. He keeps the ball reasonably well also. He'll be a solid player for Spurs under AVB in the coming years.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
Golden shower perhaps?
:LOL: Unlike the past "golden generation" of overrated physical hoofballers (Scholes the exception of course) I think the likes of Smalling Jones, Ravel, Barkley, Hughes, Wilson, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Rothwell, Crowley, Roberts etc can do the business. That doesn't mean they can win anything but they should at least be contenders. If Januzaj decides to wait and play for England they might as well just give us the 2018 WC now.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Welbeck is god like for England. He always performs for them and he's probably their most constant and reliable player right now. His goals to games ratio is brilliant as well.

Germany won easily yet again as well. I'm still backing them to win the World Cup next year.

·
23,699 Posts
Promising.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2455510/Daniel-Sturridge-Wayne-Rooney-promise-England-4-Montenegro-1.html
Admittedly, Sturridge has enjoyed better games this season, his final ball and his finishing sometimes lacking the finesse of his performances for his club. When, however, you combine Sturridge with Danny Welbeck and Townsend, and you have Rooney deployed in behind them, you have the pace that frightens opposing defences and enables England to perform at the dynamic tempo that suits them best.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I hope we don't start with Gerrard/Lampard in the Poland game. Neither should be first choice at this stage in their careers and we looked a lot better when Carrick came on. Townsend had a good game, but against better sides he may struggle. The development of Sturridge is a positive for England, Baines as well may be more deserving of the lb spot than cole. Cahill and Jagielka in the middle is a worry though. Jones and Smalling have better potential and i would give that partnership a run.

·
Hi
7,245 Posts
I hope we don't start with Gerrard/Lampard in the Poland game. Neither should be first choice at this stage in their careers and we looked a lot better when Carrick came on. Townsend had a good game, but against better sides he may struggle. The development of Sturridge is a positive for England, Baines as well may be more deserving of the lb spot than cole. Cahill and Jagielka in the middle is a worry though. Jones and Smalling have better potential and i would give that partnership a run.
Totally agree about Cahil. He gave away the ball at least 3 or 4 times. I'd rather see Smalling play there because Smalling has been a rock recently.

Townsend has a decent game but @Cevno is right, I don't think he actually produced any worthwhile cross and simply used his pace to get round people. But when he can shoot from 25 yards like that and actually have the confidence to take someone on, well we need people like that rather than Walcott and Young. He can definitely make right wing his own. His performance was fantastic though.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
What I took from the game was that mr wellbeck belongs in midfield.
Fast combatative and good lay offs

·
http://www.viewsbank.com/referral/777a35d7
1,447 Posts
Anybody notice it was only when Carrick came on that the midfield looked to be able to create something and have some fluency to the performance.
It's a shame he doesn't have the same effect on our midfield :ROFL:

61 - 78 of 78 Posts