Manchester United Talk banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It was a decent performance last night, although better teams will punish England when midfielders (especially Gerrard) constantly gives away the ball. That will be overlooked though, the media love him. It's time to get ready for the media to build up players egos and public belief that England stand a chance, only to bring them down when they fail against the first decent team they face.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Managed to catch all 90 minutes of it, average performance, nothing more, Poland did absolutely nothing and only posed a threat because of how bad England is at keeping the ball but really it was nothing more than what was expected.

·
Registered
428 Posts
By Englands standards it was a decent performance. Having Carrick there really helped us keep hold of the ball better. Baines and Townsend have really given England an added incisiveness down the flanks. We created some good chances apart from the goals, which is not always the case with England. Realistically though Poland despite their support had nothing to play for and played less cagy than they would've. World class teams will pick England off more readily and shut down our attacking players more often, so England will still have to improve defensively and in terms of keeping possession if we are to advance far in the tournament. Therefore I hope we don't just select the old guard although it's more than likely hodgson will take both Lampard and Gerrard and even not be brave enough to not start them in the first match which is a concern. Anyway it seems England has a better squad to choose from than 2 years ago and you can even throw the likes of Morrison into the mix.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Nerve-wracking is an understatement. I could barely watch at times in the 2nd half.

I haven't cheered a Gerrard goal so loudly since he scored the 2nd against Germany during our 5-1 win in Munich.

I'm just delighted that England will be at the World Cup. The summer has such an empty feeling when there's a major tournament and England aren't there.

Talk of how England will do has inevitably started already but who knows what form or fitness awaits our players in the next 8 months? Looking back at our previous tournaments, a quarter-final defeat on penalties would seem par for the course!

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
This week have been the best two performances from and England side for at LEAST eight years (not saying much I know, but still. . . ). We've shown that if we apply ourselves that we can be a dangerous side. Townsend seems like a find. But there has been a long recent history of young wingers who've exploded on the scene and looked like the real deal then faded badly, Lennon and Young are two that instantly spring to mind.

As good as the performance as last night Poland did have a fair bit of the ball and against better sides at the World Cup we could be really made to suffer.

England are likely to be in the second pot of seeds for the draw in December. Which means that we could end up playing Spain, Brazil, Argentina or Germany in the first game. Not ideal, but if you're at a World Cup and want to make a splash then you have to play these teams. Not to mention playing one of them in the first game before they've had chance to fully settle into the tournament might actually be better. Also, I have no doubt that many of the top seeds will want to avoid England in the second pot.

Hopefully this time round and after recent times England and English fans will keep their hopes in check. it's highly unlikely that we will win the World Cup. But perhaps realising that and embracing it for the first time in decades can free both the fans and the players to be freed from the chains of expectation and play their natural game. If that happens then it could be a tournament where England create more of a splash than at any World Cup for decades and do better than many expect. But whatever happens, at least we made it and qualified top of the group which is the bare minimum that a nation like England with our resources should expect.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
This is a truly masterful post. The great thing about Owenzy's posts is, you're not entirely sure if he's being his usual retarded self or trying desperately hard to try and be funny. He tries to troll, too stupid. He just to be funny, he ain't. He tries to post seriously, he's clueless. This is one of these merge type posts for him, whereby we have to decipher what actual level he is thinking atm. This one, it's an attempt to troll but it's eyeball stabbing, painfully unfunny stuff.

tl;dr The guy is stupid, painfully unfunny and clueless.
A smart person could figure it out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If England reach the quarter-finals, they should consider it a success..no chance of winning it or reaching the final..has any European country ever won a world cup on the American continent?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That 70 World Cup was magic, I still remember being allowed stay up late to watch England / Brazil , what a game that was! Great players on both sides, it was the World Cup of Pele, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto, Charlton, Beckenbauer, Banks & Bonetti, England 2 up against the Germans taking Bobby off and losing 3-2, Italy beating Germany 4-3 and of course the brilliant Brazillians in the final.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
well done England for making it to the finals (kills me to say that being irish lol) but in typical english media fashion taking the good out off it by calling poor woy a racist....quarter finals for England would be a good world cup

141 - 154 of 154 Posts