Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
The England squad in full:
GK David James (Portsmouth), Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

DF Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

MF Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jermein Jeans (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Bentley (Tottenham),

FW Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Wigan)
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
My world cup 1st team:


---------------------------------David James-------------------------------------

--Neville*-------------Rio----------------------Terry-----------------A.Cole--

-----------------------Hargreaves----------Carrick--------------------------

------------------------------------Gerrard----------------------------------------

------J. Cole----------------------------------------------------Rooney------

------------------------------------Bent---------------------------------------

Rio's the Captain.

* assuming Gaz gets back to his old self, if not then Richards.

But Rooney and Cole would have complete freedom and can move wherever they want, while the fullbacks are very attack minded to provide the width.

Carrick shields the defense while Hargreaves helps although he is the more aggressive one if you like. (He is the Vidic of the DM's while Carrick is the Rio.)

Gerrard is a midfielder who has lisence to attack but can also defend when we need him to.. He excels doing through balls to Torres and Bent is slightly similar albeit not as good.

This team IMO has the perfect balance of experience, pace and strength. I realise the inclusion of Bent might be a bit suprising but this is a similar formation to Charltons 1 when Bent was there so it suits him fine, particularly with Gerrard supplying through balls for him.


What do you guys think? English fan or not.
 

·
Proto-Hipster
Joined
·
46,959 Posts
-------------------James
G.Neville Upson Ferdinand P.Neville
Beckham Heagreaves Carrick Noble
------------Rooney-----Owen
Subs : Foster , A. Ferdinand , Butt , Scholes, Ashton , Fraizer Campbell , Joe Cole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Nice idea TM, but Im still not convinced by Bent. You want him to lead the line
in your World Cup efforts? I just dont think he is up to it.
It would asle be hard to leave out Lampard, even if him and Gerrard dont play
well together. Other possibles would be Downing on the left (people may laugh
but he has one of the best crossers in the Prem. He is pure lefty as well, so
stick him left wing. Rooney/Owen up top or if Owen is injured Id even consider
someone like Ashton. He is a good player when fit. Or else have Barry on the left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
--------------------------------------James-------------------------------------


Johnson-------------- Rio-----------------------Terry(C)--------------------A.cole


Bentley/J.Cole------------Gerrard---------------Lampard-----------------J.Cole/Walcot


-------------------------Rooney---------------Heskey-------------------------


Johnson gets the right back position,
im prob wrong on midfield out on wings but i think he will go 4-4-2
he likes heskey for some strang reason and will play rooney just off him.
and i cant understand how A.Young aint here in the squad.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Nice idea TM, but Im still not convinced by Bent. You want him to lead the line
in your World Cup efforts? I just dont think he is up to it.
It would asle be hard to leave out Lampard, even if him and Gerrard dont play
well together. Other possibles would be Downing on the left (people may laugh
but he has one of the best crossers in the Prem. He is pure lefty as well, so
stick him left wing. Rooney/Owen up top or if Owen is injured Id even consider
someone like Ashton. He is a good player when fit. Or else have Barry on the left.
Yeah Bent is a bit of a wildcard. This season is really make or break for him as far as asserting himself as a potential international striker.

The problem is our strikers just aren't good enough IMO.

Defoe needs about 5 chances to score.

Ashton just doesn't have the pace IMO and has major injury problems.

Owen has injury problems and he is more of a second striker these days anyway as he's lost his pace and he has never been one to hold the ball up.

Crouch is good althouh we'd become very 1 dimensional with him and I don't think he's ever done it vs the Big teams, though I could be wrong.

Rooney has to play but not as the front man.

Also I think we have to play 3 CM's. 90% of the teams do it these days and we aren't like Spain who can afford to have just 2 cm's because they are technically so good whreas we aren't.

For me Barry is a very good player but he is overrated. A poor mans Carrick if you like.

England IMO have many good players but they just don't have 'it' in that we haven't got a good enough balance within our team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
TheManc said:
Yeah Bent is a bit of a wildcard. This season is really make or break for him as far as asserting himself as a potential international striker.

The problem is our strikers just aren't good enough IMO.

Defoe needs about 5 chances to score.

Ashton just doesn't have the pace IMO and has major injury problems.

Owen has injury problems and he is more of a second striker these days anyway as he's lost his pace and he has never been one to hold the ball up.

Crouch is good althouh we'd become very 1 dimensional with him and I don't think he's ever done it vs the Big teams, though I could be wrong.

Rooney has to play but not as the front man.

Also I think we have to play 3 CM's. 90% of the teams do it these days and we aren't like Spain who can afford to have just 2 cm's because they are technically so good whreas we aren't.

For me Barry is a very good player but he is overrated. A poor mans Carrick if you like.

England IMO have many good players but they just don't have 'it' in that we haven't got a good enough balance within our team.
You are probably right about the strikers. All very good players but not like
the strikers of old-Lineker, Shearer, Owen few years ago...etc.
3 Cm's is the way to go as you said, and England have the players there be it
Hargo, Carrick, Lamps, Gerrard or Barry. They are all top top players.
I still think yis have a good shot at the next World Cup. I think Capello is the
right coach.
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
-------------------------Foster----------------------------
Neville----------Rio------------JT----------Cashley
------------------Carrick------Gerrard--------------

J. Cole-------------------------------------------Walcott
-------------------------Rooney(c)
--------------------------------Defoe

Subs: James, Richards, Bent, Bentley, Beckham,Crouch, Lampard
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Piazza who is Americas best player at the mo??? Freddy Adu still?
Jozy Altidore, or Michael Bradley. Bradley is one of the better players in Holland actually. Good goal scoring midfielder. Landon Donovan is also pretty good, USA's all time goal and assist leader.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
piazza said:
Jozy Altidore, or Michael Bradley. Bradley is one of the better players in Holland actually. Good goal scoring midfielder. Landon Donovan is also pretty good, USA's all time goal and assist leader.
London Donovan how can ya forget him... been in a few world cups hasnt he.
plays with becks.
still under 30 is he??? like he has been around 4ever
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
London Donovan how can ya forget him... been in a few world cups hasnt he.
plays with becks.
still under 30 is he??? like he has been around 4ever
He's 26. Yeah, now that I think about it, he really has been around forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
my lineup against czech

------------james (bring on hart 2nd half)-----------

---johnson-------rio-----terry (would take ledley king if fit)------ cole

----beckham (bring bentley later)----gerrard---- jenas (bring barry later)--- joe cole (bring on walcott later)

---------rooney--------defoe-------

ashley young should have been picked... and dont start or play lampost
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top