·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

From Bbc Sport

Default England player numbers at new low
From BBC Sport.

The pool of talent available to Fabio Capello fell away alarmingly last season.

The number of England-qualified players starting in the Premier League dropped to an all-time low last season, research by BBC Sport has found.

Only 170 of the 498 players who started matches in the top flight in 2007-08 were English - just 34.1% of the total.

It marks a big slide from 2006-07, when 191 (38%) of the starters were English.

"The number is important because that's what I can choose from,"
said England manager Fabio Capello when asked about BBC Sport's findings on Tuesday.

"But more important is quality - the level of the player. At the moment the total is 34% but the (quality) level is high.

"The work being done in the academies is very important. We probably have to change the system of training for young players.

ven a top-flight international boss needs top-flight players to succeed.

"At Under-21, and younger national teams, we have a lot of good players.

"For the future, I hope next season is not 34% but 40%. It will be better for me and England football."

At first glance, Capello's diplomatic answer would seem to make complete sense. After all, only last week two English clubs played in the Champions League final and 10 of the 22 starters were English.

But the fact remains that his side is preparing for two end-of-season friendlies this week - against the USA on Wednesday and Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday - and not this summer's Euro 2008.

Sepp Blatter, the president of world football's governing body Fifa, is convinced he knows the answer to England's problems: restricting the number of foreign starters each club is allowed to five.

Despite widespread concern his plan is incompatible with European Union employment law (and robust opposition from the Premier League on principle), Blatter is determined to press on with his "six plus five" scheme.

If successful, this move would represent a huge challenge for English clubs.
Last season, fewer than one in five starting line-ups would have met Blatter's quota.

West Ham showed the most faith in English talent, Arsenal the least.

On average, there were only four players available for England duty in each Premier League starting line-up last season.

Arsenal had the lowest number of English starters, averaging 0.34 per match, while West Ham had the highest number, with 6.61.

The Hammers and Aston Villa (6.42) were the only two clubs in the Premier League to average more than six English starters last term, while the big four of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, averaged just 2.64 per game.

These figures compare unfavourably with the situation in Scotland, where there were 6.27 Scotland-qualified players per starting line-up in the Scottish Premier League.

While only 18% of English line-ups met the quota, 56.8% of Scotland's starting XIs would have satisfied Blatter. In fact, six of the 12 SPL teams - Aberdeen, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Motherwell and Rangers - met the "six plus five" rule in every match.

Scotland, of course, also failed to qualify for Euro 2008 but the English numbers are also considerably worse than Europe's other major leagues.

Taking the last weekend of the season as a snapshot, the disparity in resources the England manager has at his disposal when compared to his counterparts on the continent becomes quickly apparent.

The final round of fixtures in Italy - the home of the current world champions - saw 7.3 Italians start per Serie A team. In Spain it was 6.9 Spaniards per La Liga side, and in Germany it was 4.9 Germans in each Bundesliga XI.

Those three nations all qualified for Euro 2008 and are once again among the bookmakers' favourites to claim success when the final is played in Vienna on 29 June.

The Premier League, however, rejected any attempt to link England's failings on the international stage with the number of foreign players appearing at domestic level.

"Merely looking at numbers of England players in the Premier League is a blunt and misleading measure as to how well the national team should be doing," a Premier League statement explained.

"After all, in the 70s and 80s the vast majority of players in the top flight were eligible for England yet we routinely struggled to qualify for tournaments, let alone perform in them.

"Our figures show this season nearly 40% of the starting XIs were qualified to play for England, 10 of whom played in the Champions League Final, arguably the highest standard of football in the world.

"There is no shortage of players at the highest level to pick from but we all want to see more Englishmen capable of performing at this level.

"That is why Premier League clubs invest more than £40m a season in youth development, that is why the Premier League, along with the FA and the Football League, are driving through reforms to ensure the quality of coaching and player development is of the highest standard.

"We must raise standards, not implement something that will never happen under European law and would only create a broader pool of average players rather than a deeper one of the right level of talent for Premier League clubs and England."

That Premier League clubs like to scour the globe for playing talent is not news to anybody but what will worry Capello and his bosses at the Football Association, this country's governing body, is that the situation is deteriorating.

The previous lowest number of English starters had been 179 in the 2002-03 season.

There were 207 English starters in the 2000-01 season, according to the "Meltdown" report produced by the Professional Footballers' Association last year.

This figure fell to 199 in 2001-02 and slid to 179 the following season.

There was a small rise in the number of English starters in each of the next four seasons but the heavy fall this season will cause concern at the FA's Soho Square headquarters no matter what Capello says in public.

holy ****

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Didn't think that the number had dropped so much since last season...there
weren't that many de[artures were there?

Glad we're eading the top four in English players starting! :D...

But its getting worse now by the looks and not as if we hadn't heard all of it before...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I regularly check how many English and British players are in the starting XI and on the bench for United. It's important to me that when Fergie retires if a foreign coach comes in he does not turn United into a completely foreign team.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Theres obviously a drop there but not that bad 37 drop at worst. As long as we know we're doing our bit, it would almost be impossible for Fergie to name a team without english players in it :)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
If rumours are true, that Jose is interested, then you can say goodbye to the likes of Fletch and such....

He'll change our team all around...LMAO at Arsenal on that list BTW! :p

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
at least 70% of the squad should be british at all the clubs in my opinion and at least 6 starters of british nationality in each team.
i agree that some of the best stars in the premiership have been foreign but over the last 15 years every one of the home nations national sides have declined in quality and quantity of players with top level experience.whatever happened to the great scottish players that used to come into the english league , they no longer exist because the scottish teams are full of cheap and nasty foreign players and its now in full flow in the english leagues and our own young british talent are getting less and less as a result.
i have always had great pride in utds home grown boys but i can see the day when we field a team of foreign guys and it would really break my heart . the whole structure of the english game is based on heart and soul thats where the exitement comes from !

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
abojodeh said:
i have one word

Bring on 6+5 or you can kiss the world cup dream bye bye
That's more than one word :p

sweet fa said:
at least 70% of the squad should be british at all the clubs in my opinion and at least 6 starters of british nationality in each team.
i agree that some of the best stars in the premiership have been foreign but over the last 15 years every one of the home nations national sides have declined in quality and quantity of players with top level experience.whatever happened to the great scottish players that used to come into the english league , they no longer exist because the scottish teams are full of cheap and nasty foreign players and its now in full flow in the english leagues and our own young british talent are getting less and less as a result.
i have always had great pride in utds home grown boys but i can see the day when we field a team of foreign guys and it would really break my heart . the whole structure of the english game is based on heart and soul thats where the exitement comes from !

Would agree that the viscious cycle has to be broken.

It is too simple to say "We can't produce the next Shearer, Lineker, Keane, Hughes, Best, Dalglish, Keegan or Law, so we'll look overseas."

It's too simple.

You have to work on producing that next batch.

The FA share equal blame though. The 90 mile radius is quite a ***** rule in my opinion. As Roy Keane pointed out, some of the 90 mile radius falls in the water.

And some teams do not reside in a populous area like London. In a 90 mile radius of Arsenal, I'm sure that there are an abundance of talented kids.

Just want to highlight that the first chart looks worse than it actually is. The real numbers is adrop from 207 English players to 170, so the actual drop is 37.

This phenomenon is not just an English problem though. This problem also exists in Germany and France.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
The 2006 England team at the World Cup consisted of only 2 players playing abroad. One of whom plays for our club now. So its also a problem that there just aren't as many world class Englishmen as there used to be imo, not just in England.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
its no doubt the fact that there is just too much money in prem, simple as that. you look at italy who has just lost an immense amount of fanbase around the world, thus losing money. teams now resort to bringing in young players instead of buying. now you look at young italian players coming out with promise, the likes of ballotelli, giovionco, aquilani, etc. another perfect example is france, a league that spends a very limited amount of money, and yet they ooze with talent. another point could be the fact that players in england almost look afraid to play overseas. but an example is spain. spain has probably the second best league in the world, yet a very high number of players go and play overseas. the likes of torres, alonso, arbeloa, all have had relatively decent careers overseas and where all part of the euro winning spanish side. my point is not only do english managers need to let go of the nice book check they have and take a chance on young foreign talent, but english players need to take a chance if necessary on going to play in the foreign leagues.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
yeah because players like the great dane,cantona,Giggs,Vidic,Evra,Ronaldo,Anderson,Kanchelskis,Berbatov,VDS,O Shea,Fletcher ect ect ect have no right in the EPL.......this shit is so boring,i hope there is a day when not one england player is fielded and the media and abo have a field day but the rest of us dont give a shit.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we have good number of english but teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are jokes

what a league that allow a club to have only 1 countryman ?

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
NO it wont work,for a start L'Arse would dissapear.There's too many middle men with money,rights,laywers,human rights,gayers rights,rights to having rights,tv rights,shaving foam rights,left and rights,right here right now for there only to be one countryman.There will always be more foreigners in the EPL and tbh can only see it getting worse.Its only going to be detremental to the International side of things,but considering we supposedly have some of 'the best' players who are English and we can't win a bean,im not too fussed.England is so far down on my list of priorites.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I know that people say English players need to be more adventurous. Fabregas said it himself in fact.

He talked about how he was terrified of leaving his home at such a young age & moving to a completely foreign nation.

Different weather, different language, different culture etc. To be honest I agree with him.

That said I am a hypocrite. I mean the thought of leaving my home, right now, and just moving to another country...

The thought of having to adapt to a different climate, learn a new language, make friends all over again scares me. Quite a bit actually.

I'd feel so far from home & out of place. However maybe it's what English players need to do.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
piazza said:
The 2006 England team at the World Cup consisted of only 2 players playing abroad. One of whom plays for our club now. So its also a problem that there just aren't as many world class Englishmen as there used to be imo, not just in England.
this imo is the best point, nearly all of the starting 11 are expect maybe who ever plays off of rooney. But theres nothing equal to them in reserve, so if a starter gets injured there no one to accordingly take his place.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Purely and simply theres not enough english talent coming through the ranks, don't get me wrong there are some quality english youngsters but not enough. Our academies haven't been very good for years.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The EU have already declared that the 6+5 rule is illegal so there's not much we can do.

Why are you so interested in the English national team when you're Ukranian anyway abo? :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts