Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is equality more equal to some than it is to others ?
We all agree on equal rights for every person on this earth ( well at least i do ).
But are things really equal for us all ?
Let me try to explain why i do not think they are....

I'm going to use police officers as an example but it is the same in all walks of life.

There is the Police officers Federation which is for all police officers. ( everyone allowed ).
There is the Black police officers Federation ( BPOF ) for black polce officers. ( No whites allowed)
There is the Womens police officers Federation ( WPOF) for womem. ( No males allowed ).
There is the Gay and Lesbian police officers Federation( GPOF ) for gays and lesbians. ( no staights allowed ).
There is the Disabled police officers Federation ( DPOF ) for the disabled. ( no able bodied people allowed ).

But there is no Federation for the white, male, hetrosexual, abled bodied person.
Would not be allowed. Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, Discriminates against the disabled.

Womens only taxis, run by women, cars driven by women, women customers only.
Try setting up a men only firm.....Not a chance.
same with swimming/gym/health/sports sessions at all leisure centres in England.
Mother and toddlers groups/changng rooms everywhere...

Dads and toddlers groups/changing rooms ?? None.

Womens only commonwealth/olmypic games etc ?? yes.
Mens only ? ...No.

Gay and lesbian clubs, no straight people allowed.
Try opening a stright club, no gay or lesbians allowed..Not a chance.
Gay and lesbian advice centres in all cities and towns.
Straight persons only advice centres ?? None.
Gay commonwealth games/olympics ? Yes
Straight people only games ? NO.

Disabled transport/clubs/access/priority/parking spaces for the disabled only.
Try doing the same for non disabled.....Not a chance.
Disabled only advice centres, swimming sessions etc..., everywhere.
Non disabled only centres etc? ... None.
Disabled commonwealth/olympics games ? Yes
Abled bodied only ? ..No.

Not even going to go into race or colour except to say there is MOBO( music of black origin ) awards.
Try starting an awards ceremony called MOWO, already been tried and stopped before it even got started.

I dont want this turning into a race or religion thing, so ignore race or religion, think about how equal you really are in regards to the other points.

Some are more equal than others in my eyes.

Your views ??

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
I kind of agree with some of what you are saying but not in the case of disabled people, alot of them are very limited in what they can do. I don't think it's a big deal to have things that help them out as they hace been left behind for years and giving them a little bit of help doesn't really piss me off, i think it is good we can help them out.
In regards to the gay/lesbian club's if you mean like a sports club then maybe thats true but if your on about a nightclub that is false.
There is plenty of organisations for straight white hetrosexual people that don't allow anyone else such as the national front,combat 18 ( i am not saying you are like this but they are the kind of groups that you said didn't exist)
I think in some things it should be equal like in sport etc if a woman wants to get paid the same as a man she should have to play against a man otherwise they should get paid less, otherwise they are getting paid for playing to a worse standard.
I think equality goes two ways and i think thats the point your are trying to make but as you say it only seems to be going one way at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
I understand totally where you are coming from SAL but you have to remember that "Gays" and "women" up until recently were not treated as equal, were persecuted and seen by the general public as a lesser class.......

We can only have ourselves to blame....

I'll give you another example......

I'm a member of the local golf club and the mens annual AGM was held just a few days ago...Women attended and were allowed to vote on all matters and give their views and opinions...
Now take the womens AGM, men are not even allowed to attend never mind give their views or opinions.....

Until these people and classes become part of normal society and people stop seeing them as 'outsiders' or 'different' the examples you gave above will remain..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
My opinions on "gays" are unprintable in here, so I shall refrain.

Sal is right in his observations, equality is extremely biased and very one sided. Before I go on, remember this is a forum for free speech without profanity, so lets keep it that way. I have already had one thread removed due to people steering the ship in the wrong direction.

So, observations without discrimination please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
Red Devil said:
My opinions on "gays" are unprintable in here, so I shall refrain.

Why......are you a homophobic.....?

Don't be shy to give your opinion......afterall this is a forum, just don't do what you usually do and take a completely extreme view which is both racist and inhumane.....and don't use profanity.....;)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rydersonthestorm said:
I kind of agree with some of what you are saying but not in the case of disabled people, alot of them are very limited in what they can do. I don't think it's a big deal to have things that help them out as they hace been left behind for years and giving them a little bit of help doesn't really piss me off, i think it is good we can help them out.
In regards to the gay/lesbian club's if you mean like a sports club then maybe thats true but if your on about a nightclub that is false.
There is plenty of organisations for straight white hetrosexual people that don't allow anyone else such
as the national front,combat 18 ( i am not saying you are like this but they are the kind of groups that you said didn't exist)
I think in some things it should be equal like in sport etc if a woman wants to get paid the same as a man she should have to play against a man otherwise they should get paid less, otherwise they are getting paid for playing to a worse standard.
I think equality goes two ways and i think thats the point your are trying to make but as you say it only seems to be going one way at the moment.
No one is saying there shouldn't be things in place to help people mate.


Regarding the first highlighted part, you are totally wrong on all you say.
You obviously dont know of or have been to the gay village in Manchester and other places all over the world. There are nightclubs/pubs/cafes/bars/shops in the village that are exclusivly for gays and lesbians.
There are NO organisations in this country exclusivly for white hetrosexual people, totally against dozens of laws and would be illegal. They would be shut down before they began and the organisers/owners would be in court in the blink of an eye.

Second highlighted point is absolutly right. We are all equal...but some more than others.


no comment about c18 or nf ( although the nf no longer exsist ). SCUM like that dont merit one word from me.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
They will not ask you on the door if your gay and stop you goping in if your not, it doesn't work like that. They are targeted at gay people but they will let straight people in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:
They will not ask you on the door if your gay and stop you goping in if your not, it doesn't work like that. They are targeted at gay people but they will let straight people in.

It sounds like you're talking from past experiences ryder.....;)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rydersonthestorm said:
They will not ask you on the door if your gay and stop you goping in if your not, it doesn't work like that. They are targeted at gay people but they will let straight people in.
Sorry mate but yes they do exactly that.
Myself and Mrs SR have been refused entry dozens of times at quite a few clubs/pubs etc. Most recently back in August this year during "Pride" week.
And i can say truthfully that i know hundreds who were stopped in exactly the same way.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
That might not be becuase your not gay though, i know people who have been to gay clubs who are not gay at all and have never been refused entry. Two of my housemates when i lived in nottingham where girls and they went to gay clubs many times and the people never had any issues with them, one of them used to go with her boyfriend as well so perhaps all is not as it seems.
I am not trying to sterotype you as i don't know what you are like but sometimes clubs will not let you in if you don't fit in with the clubs regulars, if you don't dress the way most people do etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:
I am not trying to sterotype you as i don't know what you are like but sometimes clubs will not let you in if you don't fit in with the clubs regulars, if you don't dress the way most people do etc.

Are you trying to say that SAL and Mrs SAL wouldn't fit in.......;)

I can imagine the two of them in their knitted jumpers with a picture of OT on the front and Mrs SAL with a picnic in one hand and her flask full of tea in the other...:D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rydersonthestorm said:
That might not be becuase your not gay though, i know people who have been to gay clubs who are not gay at all and have never been refused entry. Two of my housemates when i lived in nottingham where girls and they went to gay clubs many times and the people never had any issues with them, one of them used to go with her boyfriend as well so perhaps all is not as it seems.
I am not trying to sterotype you as i don't know what you are like but sometimes clubs will not let you in if you don't fit in with the clubs regulars, if you don't dress the way most people do etc.
I should have put in my post that we were asked if we were gay or straight at the door, answer .....straight...." sorry mate you can't come in ".

We'll have to agree to disagree on this mate.

By the way i'm 49 yrs old, average guy, sensible on what i wear and honestly mate dress code in clubs and pubs in the village goes out the window. If any dress code was tried to be applied they would have no-one in the clubs or pubs with some of the things people wear down there.

.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keano4taoiseach said:
Are you trying to say that SAL and Mrs SAL wouldn't fit in.......

I can imagine the two of them in their knitted jumpers with a picture of OT on the front and Mrs SAL with a picnic in one hand and her flask full of tea in the other...

:eek: :eek: ??????????? Bloomin eck mate, you've described us to a T, although you forgot about our carpet slippers and car blankets. :D

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
Red Devil said:
My opinions on "gays" are unprintable in here, so I shall refrain.
Why......are you a homophobic.....?

Don't be shy to give your opinion......afterall this is a forum, just don't do what you usually do and take a completely extreme view which is both racist and inhumane.....and don't use profanity.....;)
Yeah right, remember me whales? Give us a kiss and I'll tell you ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Sal, I've been saying this for quite a while. You're right 100%.

I could go into several stories and things that happen, especially here in southern US when it comes to areas you touched on, but they always get me in a pissy mood thinking about it.

Everyone should be equal, I agree, but it will never happen. Someone will always have a great, great, great, great, great, great ancestor that was discriminated against and try to get something out of it because society is more worried about "me" than "us" nowdays.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top