Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC Sport are reporting that Eriksson will be sacked at the end of the season. Sven met with Thaksin Shinawatra over the weekend and was told he is 'not the right man for the job'. The report also says that the players reacted angrily when told the news by Sven. Eriksson has refused to resign in the wake of this breaking news story.

Another laughable chapter in the tale of Manchester City. The best manager they've had in years and they're sacking him after one season.

I heard rumours that Scolari was being lined up to replace him. Any other ideas who it could be?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I CANT BELIEVE IT MAN. CITY ARE CHASING A UEFA CUP SPOT AND SVEN GETS SACKED last season they were in the relegation zone!!!!!
he is the best manager since 1990
MAN CITY ALSO BEAT UNITED TWICE THIS SEASON THAKSIN SHINAWATRA=:( for the city fans [ even though he's loaded ]

I think Mourinho might replace him or even McClaren ;)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I couldn't care less about Man City, but this news has baffled me. How the hell can they get rid of him after just 1 season? The team is a work-in-progress. He's done a great job so far.
What utter stupidity. What happened to giving managers time to build a team?

·
Registered
322 Posts
lol @ thaksin. As you other people said, they are building a new team, i guess he got a little to excited when everytrhing went so great in the beginning of the season so he thought they should be up there.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
poor guy....a very good manager and got them to the first ahlf of the table and he is fired for that...whatever money thaksin put in does not create a team by spirit..only by numbers...he has to wait another year to pay dividends for his transfers.......IMO
sven has done a good job with his team and bought in new players.....he got them out of the relegation zone and made them UEFA cup contenders....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How could he actually gets the sack when he masterminded a period of such great success for Manchester City in the Premiership? From what I've seen, he's a top-class football manager who has shown a leadership style which defies conventional stereotypes and exemplifies an approach from which today's business leaders can learn some useful lessons from. His gift is that he could connect well with his players due to his superb man-management skills. He has also improve City's position from a relegation threatened team into one who's challenging for a European spot. True, he may be a person guilty of stupidity but still, a fantastic manager. To sack him after a season of good showing is indeed, ludicrous!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Its going to be alright. I have been reliably informed that their new managment team will bring in world stars and big big signings to turn Citeh into another Chelski - who is it:

LITTLE & LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Citeh's BIGGEST fans!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
insane move if they sack him, theyll never get as high profile a manager as sven, also his scouting networks and pulling power (of players as well as secretaries!) are invaluable!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nemanjaaa said:
Outrageous what do they want ?
When Thaksin took over he said he had a 3yr plan to get City into the Champions League. I can only assume that the first stage of that plan was to get City into the UEFA Cup next season so that they could attract higher profile players.

It's very harsh because before the takeover many people, including myself, were tipping City for relegation this season.

Sven has done a good job but he has made some expensive mistakes - Bianchi in particular - and it was Thaksin's money he was spending.

J

·
0 Posts
Sven has done such a good job at City. I know there form has dipped from earlier on in the season, but nonetheless they are far higher than anyone, bar the most optimistic city fans, would've predicted. Shinawatra seems to have the same philosophy Real Madrid have.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
THAKSIN SHINAWATRA is an idiot if he sacks him. He is doing a good job.

However you'll never have guess this but 99% of hit football advice comes from none other than...

Steve Mcmanaman!!

So he is partly to blame as well i'd imagine.

How thing seems crazy to me.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Noel Gallagher, front man thicko for Oasis and Manchester city fan is allegedly about to lead a revolt against this Thai "gentleman".

Which brings to mind a quote by Mr Gallagher a few years ago. When a reporter asked him if he was going to write a song about Manchester city, he replied that he was not; he couldn't find a word to rhyme with City.

This post does not require answering - or you'll be picking up naughty boy (or girl) points.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red Devil said:
Noel Gallagher, front man thicko for Oasis and Manchester city fan is allegedly about to lead a revolt against this Thai "gentleman".

Which brings to mind a quote by Mr Gallagher a few years ago. When a reporter asked him if he was going to write a song about Manchester city, he replied that he was not; he couldn't find a word to rhyme with City.

This post does not require answering - or you'll be picking up naughty boy (or girl) points.
What's wrong with singing a ditty about City? :p

·
23,699 Posts
Manchester City in turmoil again as United celebrates reaching Champions League final

Source: The Associated PressPublished: April 30, 2008

MANCHESTER, England: While Manchester United fans celebrate reaching the Champions League final, the other half of the soccer city is in turmoil again.

United's 1-0 victory over Barcelona means that the Red Devils are on their way to Moscow for the May 21 final in an all-English showdown with either Chelsea or Liverpool, who played their semifinal on Wednesday night.

The United fans are again laughing at their rivals at Manchester City, which has been in United's shadow for almost three decades.

And, even after a season in which it beat United home and away, City seems about to fire its manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The former England coach was hired at the start of this season and initially gave the City fans brief hopes of winning the league title for the first time since 1968.

But City, now owned by millionaire former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has slumped badly, winning only seven of its last 26 games and sliding down the standings now with no chance of gaining a place in next season's UEFA Cup.

That was the least Thaksin wanted and it means that Eriksson, who still has two years of his contract to run, looks certain to be leaving the club when the season is over. By then, United could well be celebrating a Premier League-Champions League double.

City is currently ninth with 55 points.

Richard Bevan, chief executive of the League Managers Association, has called on City to stick with Eriksson through his three-year contract.

"Success for Manchester City is getting into the top 10, Sven has delivered that," Bevan said Wednesday.

"He has got two games to go and he is focusing on those two games to go, and we implore Dr. Shinawatra to rethink his strategy and to keep Sven on for the three-year period. And I'm sure Sven will deliver, not only for the players, the club and the owners, but most importantly the fans.

"Just look across the way to Manchester United, one manager in almost 22 years, look what they have won and look what Manchester City have won in the last 20 years."

That's nine Premier Leagues, five FA Cups and maybe two Champions Leagues in the case of United. Nothing for City.

City fans also want Eriksson to stay.

Celebrity supporter Noel Gallagher of rock group Oasis is furious that Thaksin looks likely to fire the Swede.

"It's ludicrous to get rid of him after the best season we've had that I can remember," he told BBC radio. "For a club that's been going nowhere fast for the past 25 years and to get a manager in who's the best bar (Jose) Mourinho and to turn it round with a bit of style and dignity and grace and bought some great players, I think it's beyond a joke (to fire Eriksson).

"If Shinawatra comes in and thinks we're going to qualify for the Champions League, he's tripping. It's like Everton sacking David Moyes in the morning because they didn't qualify for the Champions League and Villa sacking Martin O'Neill because they didn't finish fifth. It takes more than one season."

Gallagher said almost all the City fans wanted Eriksson to stay.

"I would be amazed and appalled I met a Man City fan who thought getting rid of Eriksson was a good thing. We all love him up there."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts