Manchester United Talk banner

Essien could be injured for up to 6 months!

2K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Sownak27 
#1 ·
Ess faces six-month KO
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1664045.ece

From ANTONY KASTRINAKIS

MICHAEL ESSIEN could be ruled out for SIX MONTHS with a cruciate ligament injury.

SunSport has learnt the Chelsea midfielder, who was injured playing for Ghana against Libya on Friday, may have to go under the knife.

A Blues insider revealed: “After undergoing an examination, Michael's injury seems to be a lot worse than previously thought. He may have to have an operation.â€

The player's agent Fabien Piveteau said: “Unfortunately it's not good news.

“I am afraid it's a big problem. A big problem.

“He's taken a bad blow to the knee. I don't know exact details but I think it's not good.

“I don't know what will happen. It's now two or three times that he has taken blows to his knee.â€

Essien, 25, missed Chelsea's opener against Portsmouth due to injury but came back to face Wigan and Spurs.

A couple of days ago he appeared upbeat about his current problem, saying he would be out for a few weeks.

Now it seems the damage is far more serious — and that is a massive blow for Blues boss Big Phil Scolari.

- I know it's the Sun, but his agent saying "It's a big problem" sounds exactly that. He will be a big loss to Chelsea, as I consider him their finest midfield player ahead of Lamps and Ballack.

See less See more
#29 ·
Well thats out of the Blue, eh?

Its terible to hear of such an injury really....especially when its not even been
sustained with the club. It was while on international duty. Big blow for Chelski
though.

Its not as f they can't replace with quality though...now is it? :rolleyes:....They'll
realy feel his absence when they play Bolton, West Ham, Blackburn etc... The
teams with physicality and teams who are willing to stick a foot in there. He's a
player who won't shy away from such a challenge whereas Deco, Lampard,
Ballack..not the players that come to mind when you think of bravery now are
they?

It will also hit them when the new year comes...and players are tiring and a fresh
pair of legs are needed....

#30 ·
Fantastic news for us, whether they have plenty of cover or not.

We are well stocked in midfield, but if we had a place, and we were offered him, I'd grab him with both hands.

Hes one of the best midfielders in the World, and imo, is Chelseas best midfielder. And I also think that when they play him as a holding midfielder, they lose so much. His best position is as a box to box central midfielder.

He will be out for a while. Michael Owen had the same injury and was out for 10 months.

#31 ·
This is why there's a strong movement to get rid of world cup qualifiers, people get hurt and that costs the clubs who pay them their own money.

Honestly, does England improve from playing teams like Andorra? There's no such thing as "winning" against Andorra. Anything less than 6 and you should have beat them much worse, but even if you do win by 6+, its only because you're playing Andorra.

The reasons above are why I concur with that movement.

#32 ·
piazza said:
This is why there's a strong movement to get rid of world cup qualifiers, people get hurt and that costs the clubs who pay them their own money.

You cant get just get rid of the qualifiers. That would be insane.
I agree that maybe they should cut back on them and play less games.
Let the crap teams play eachother and the best of them get through to play
the big guns.

#34 ·
reddwarf said:
I think it would be more sensible to reduce the number of friendlies and have teams like Andorra, San Marino etc play in a mini qualifying tournament. Then the winner can play in the proper qualifiers.
Jazz 16 said:
Let the crap teams play eachother and the best of them get through to play the big guns
I absolutely agree with both points.

Theres really no point in all the teams like Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands etc being in the proper qualifiers. They have no chance of qualifying, and its really just adding unnecessary games to the calendar.

They find getting a point a success. And if there was a mini tournament, and they get through to the main qualifiers, they can say they've won something! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.