Manchester United Talk banner

Etxeberria signs to play for free

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  RDJ 
#1 ·
In a footballing world of greed and astronomical wages this is a refreshing story.
This is what real loyalty is.

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao
which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to
expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I
wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires
after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World
Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are
not words enough to thank such a gesture."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7649109.stm

See less See more
#14 ·
Get off your high horse PeeJay. I found you bias towards him out on at least two occasions in another thread.

At the end of the day it's you, CH and Ste that look stupid for your issues against a former red..... it's a United forum.

Grow up!
What are you on? High horse? Issues against a former red? I listed three players, three
players that most supporters consider loyal, and juxtaposed them with Etxeberria. Two of
those three players were English.

#23 ·
Half of Ireland think Keane's a cunt, but you guys keep bringing up the same 'Irish bias' crap. And you do know your talking about Dumphy, the same guy who licked Keane's arse untill they fell out.

I just think yer 'all a bit sad trying to pick holes in everything he's done in the past. Anyone can see that your all either on a WUM, or just something again him cause his Irish.

We love 'em. Leave us to it and stop pecking away at completely irrelevant things. You love Ibra... I don't call him a cunt do I?

#24 ·
What do you mean, VaVa? I named three players who would never play for us for free,
two of which refused to sign contracts unless they got wage rises and the other one professed
his undying love to Everton before signing for us and Owenzy comes and defends two
of them, surprise surprise, one's Irish and the other has Irish origins.

This thread isn't about Ireland or Roy Keane. It's about players who wouldn't play for free,
Keane, Rooney and Rio, fan favourites, wouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.