Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Larsson takes time for O'Donnell

Henrik Larsson took a break from Sweden's Euro 2008 training camp to honour the late Phil O'Donnell.

Sweden play Slovenia on Monday but Larsson was at Celtic Park for Sunday's charity match in memory of his former team-mate, who died in December.

"It was very important for me to come back," Larsson said.

"When I got the question two weeks ago from the Swedish national coach to go back I said 'Yes, I would love to, but on the 25th I need to be away'."

Larsson joined Celtic's 1998 championship-winning side to line up against a team of Motherwell legends, including most of the team that won the 1991 Scottish Cup, when O'Donnell scored his first senior goal.

The Swede was at the centre of an injury scare when he left the field after just two minutes following a clash of heads with Chris McCart.

But he returned following 10 minutes of treatment and quickly cracked in an acrobatic volley.

Motherwell skipper O'Donnell, 35, collapsed and died of heart failure during a match against Dundee United on 29 December.

And funds raised from the capacity 60,000 crowd will go to the O'Donnell Family Trust and a range of charities.

"It's a sad occasion but it's a great tribute to him and his family," said Larsson.

"You always have talkers in the dressing room and people who are a little bit more calm," Larsson said of O'Donnell.

"He was a little bit more calm but he was a great guy.

"I always remember coming as a foreigner. There was always someone you could trust if you asked a question.

"I wouldn't ask Darren Jackson a question, because you wouldn't get a proper answer. Phil was not only important for me but a lot of the foreigners.

"It's a sad occasion but at the same time it's a kind of celebration for everything.

"I haven't been back since Jackie McNamara's testimonial three years ago."

Larsson, who scored 242 goals during his seven years with Celtic, added: "This is the club for me. This is where I made myself as a player, this is where everybody got to know me.

"This is the club I am going to be eternally grateful to for giving me that opportunity, when other clubs didn't believe in me.

"This is where I got back into the Swedish national team, playing in European Championships and World Cups, delivering for Sweden. I couldn't have done that without Celtic."

Like O'Donnell, Tom Boyd played for both Celtic and Motherwell and the former Scotland defender added: "Phil would have loved to have played in that atmosphere.

"Both sets of fans appreciated what he did for their clubs, everyone united to pay tribute to a great football man.

"The minute's applause was as noisy as I have heard it."

Source BBC.co.uk
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7419472.stm

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Turkey's Gökhan Gönül from Fenerbahce misses the Euro Championship due to injury. He's cut from the squad. Sad moment for Gökhan Gönül but he's only 23 so maybe he'll get more chances to play in international tournaments.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Defending champions Greece in trouble.
Lost the friendly 3-2 to Hungary. And what worse, team captain Angelos Basinas had to go off due to a knee injury. Its not sure if this jeopardize his Euro football. Double that when the first pick goal keeper Antonios Nikopolidis had to leave the game with a hernia injury.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Russian team on Euro 08.

Goal keepers:
Akinfeev(CSKA),Gabulov(Amkar), Malafeev (Zenit)

Def:
Beresuckiy,Beresuckiy,Ignashevich(all-CSKA),Anukov,Shirokov (all Zenit), Kolodin(Dinamo),Yanbaev(Lokomotiv).

Midfielders:
Zyryanov(Zenit), Buystrov (Spartak), Zhircov(CSKA),Semshov(Dinamo), Bilyaletdinov, Torbinsky (all Lokomotiv),Semak (Rubin),Saenco (Nurnberg).

strikers:
Pogrebnyak, Arshavin (all Zenit), Pavluchenko(Spartak), Adamov(Moscow),Sychev (Lokomotiv)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Czech Republic National Team:

Goalkeepers: Jaromír Blažek, Petr Čech, Daniel Zítka

Defenders: Tomáš Sivok, Zdeněk Pospěch, Michal Kadlec, David Rozehnal, Zdeněk Grygera, Tomáš Ujfaluši, Marek Jankulovski, Radoslav Kováč

Midfielders: Marek Matějovský, Stanislav Vlček, Libor Sionko, Rudolf Skácel, Jaroslav Plašil, David Jarolím, Tomáš Galásek, Jan Polák

Strikers: Martin Fenin, Jan Koller, Milan Baroš, Václav Svěrkoš

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Dutch Ryan Babel seems to miss the Championship. He picked up an injury and will be replaced but Holland havent named anyone yet to take his place.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
spellbound said:
OH is he out for the whole tournament? I thought it was a slight knock. :(
He will pass 2 weeks and a high probability of repetition of a trauma...:(

Lawbreaker1944 said:
Goalkeepers: Jaromír Blažek, Petr Čech, Daniel Zítka

Defenders: Tomáš Sivok, Zdeněk Pospěch, Michal Kadlec, David Rozehnal, Zdeněk Grygera, Tomáš Ujfaluši, Marek Jankulovski, Radoslav Kováč

Midfielders: Marek Matějovský, Stanislav Vlček, Libor Sionko, Rudolf Skácel, Jaroslav Plašil, David Jarolím, Tomáš Galásek, Jan Polák

Strikers: Martin Fenin, Jan Koller, Milan Baroš, Václav Svěrkoš
oh...It is a pity that Rosicky is absent :(

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Vieira injured too. France have called up Flamini to the training camp. They'll decide before first game vs Romania if Flamini will replace Vieira.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Two top greek starters Giorgos Karagounis and Angelos Charisteas rested today while the rest of the team were doing the practise. Karagounis' injury seems to be a bit more worrying for the Greeks then Chariseas. Both should be able to play the premiere game June 10th.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
spellbound said:
Two top greek starters Giorgos Karagounis and Angelos Charisteas rested today while the rest of the team were doing the practise. Karagounis' injury seems to be a bit more worrying for the Greeks then Chariseas. Both should be able to play the premiere game June 10th.
I hope they will play with Russia...:cool:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts