am glad with my self :)
Toni did score but it was offside when it really wasnt! :(

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
abojodeh said:
Toni : failed to core single goal , failed to shoot on target
Ronaldo : one goal poor performance verus germany , swiss
Torres : one goal is poor for a striker like him and this profe that torres scores only versus the weak
Ronaldo wasn't a flop. He played really well.....He scored twice, almost scored a fantastic Free kick and set-up Quaresma for a goal which he could have scored himself.

Mario Gomez did nothing. Toni had so many chances, its a miracle he never scored.
The French were miserable failures in general. All their "stars" did nothing.

Torres hasn't scored many, but he has been some-what decent...

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Ronaldo was woeful!

1. Turkey;
    • Tricks
    • Shot off the post
    • Fell on floor
    • Involved in a nicely worked goal

2. Czech Republic;
    • Czechs were shambolic
    • Scored a goal, under no pressure
    • Set up a goal

3. Switzerland;
    • Already through, left on bench
    • Laughed
    • Warmed up

4. Germany;
    • Disappeared
    • Showed off
    • Dived
    • Possibly at fault for German winner, although more Ferria
    • Moaned
    • Cried

He's had a shocker of a tournament for someone who performed at such high
standards.

His weaknesses were exploited all through the tournament. Hit him hard early on,
and then he's in a mood and fades out.

He doesn't track back, so you can run past him because he's also afraid to tackle

He was as one pundit I heard calling him a "disgrace" and performed terribly over
the tournament.

Perhaps he should cop on and really think about his next few decisions because
they could cost him his footballing career.

TBH, I couldn't give two monkeys if he went to Real because his behaviour over in
Austria and Switzerland was an embarrassment to Manchester United

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Top 10 flops of Euro 2008

No10: The host broadcaster
A massive electrical storm in Vienna saw Germany’s thrilling showdown with Turkey ruined for millions of armchair fans. At least 10 minutes of the rollercoaster semi-final was lost in the TV coverage, including Miroslav Klose’s goal.

No9: Karim Benzema
The France striker went into the tournament with a growing reputation as his country’s wonderkid. Fans were told he was the hottest property outside Italy, Spain and England. But Benzema failed to impress during his two dismal displays for the hopeless French.

No8: Adrian Mutu
The former Chelsea striker was tipped to pull up trees with underdogs Romania. And with a penalty against Italy, he was one kick away from sending his side into the quarter-finals. But Mutu fluffed his effort and Romania later tumbled out against Holland.

No7: The co-hosts
Austria and Switzerland were both among the first seeds for the tournament as the host nations but they barely raised a cheer for their own fans. Austria bowed out with a single draw, while Switzerland’s only points came against Portugal in a dead rubber following their own elimination.

No6: Mario Gomez
Germany’s route to the final was no mean feat — especially when you consider they were effectively playing with 10 men for their three group games. Gomez contributed next to nothing, with boss Joachim Low seeing sense in the quarter-finals to finally drop him.

No5: Thierry Henry
The man whose star continues to fade must take some of the stick for France’s disjointed campaign this month. Henry’s goal against Holland masked an ineffective showing, with his deflection against Italy condemning his side to an early exit from the group stages.

No4: Greece
It seems a bit harsh for the surprise winners of Euro 2004 to be here but defeat in all three group games was truly woeful. And Greece's arch-rivals Turkey rubbed the defending champions' noses in it by reaching the semi-finals with a series of thrilling comebacks.

No3: Eric Abidal
Playing the world champions in a win-or-bust final group game is never easy, yet France did not help themselves. When defender Abidal chopped down Italy’s Luca Toni for a first-half penalty and straight red card, it was au revoir Les Bleus.

No2: Petr Cech
Leading 2-1 against Turkey with just two minutes left, Czech Republic had one foot in the quarter-finals— until Cech’s howler. The Chelsea keeper horribly fluffed a routine cross for the equaliser, before an injury-time winner sent his side packing.

No1: Luca Toni
The Italian hotshot came to the finals on the back of a golden season with Bayern Munich, notching 31 goals in the Bundesliga. But Toni endured a dreadful tournament, missing countless chances as well as looking like a man running through treacle.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think that article someone posted on here before has relevance here from the The 10 most sought-after Euro 2008 players post: http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/football-banter/12382-10-most-sought-after-euro-2008-players.html

"...The Portsmouth manager, Harry Redknapp, is one of those who agrees with Wenger's maxim (although Arsenal did break it themselves in 2002 in buying after Brazil won the World Cup). "I've been watching the European, but I don't know if I will be going for players out there," Redknapp admitted.

He said that the stagnant transfer market was partly due to the Euros taking place. "There may not have been a lot of movement for players so far because of the competition," Redknapp explained. "But I don't know how many players there are out there who we could go for, who would make a difference.

"It's difficult when it comes around to a tournament and you are looking to bring in people. You turn up and see a player play brilliantly in one game. Just because he does enough in one game doesn't mean he's the right player. Someone may have a brilliant European Championship, but that doesn't mean he will be right for the Premier League.

"We've seen it happen so many times before. Someone plays well in the competition and lots of people are interested in him. His value goes through the roof and he ends up going for a lot of money, but doesn't do anything again," Redknapp explained. The name of Karel Poborsky springs to mind...."

Basically what I am trying to stress is that yeah some people might have an excellent tournament like say Kleberson did in the 2002 World Cup but then he did end up being a flop afterwards with us. Some people can be a star and a great footballer and still manage to flop at tournaments like Henry showed us this Euro 08 and some people are saying Ronaldo and Torres were also apart of that group of underacheiveing stars this tournament; but we all know that they are not flops just because they did not perform to their usual standard in 2 games or so.

So yeah just 1 tournament or just few games cannot be the sole thing we judge a player on. Like for example Huntelaar barely played and so does that make him not suitable for the EPL? Same was the case with Petric and some people are dismissing him so then I guess one may also dismiss Huntelaar as well.

I always believed that a player should be looked over a period of time and that period must be larger then just a 3 game tournament (for some/most nations) before we make judgements. My perfect example would be Evra; mostly everyone after his debut thought he was a flop but look at him for the past 2 seasons. He was outstanding! He also cannot start into the national team thanks to Abidal but does that mean he is not good enough like some people made that assumption with Petric.

Petric did ok but looked quite tired in the latter parts of the games which I would say is because of his lengthy club football season he had and he was used near the end of the season more and perhaps that is why he looked at times jaded or he just might not have a good level of fitness (I really do not know) but yeah Olic did manage to score and play more than him but overall he did not perform better than him. There is more to football than goals people. Some people on here would just state that Olic had a better tournament because he scored vs. the Germans and Petric was hopeless thanks to his no goal show but they would not realise that Olic was very wasteful especially vs Turkey and overall he did have pretty much the same tournament as Petric. Some people would conclude that Modric had a great tournament and even scored one goal but Rakitic had an equally impressive campaign but failed to score but that doesn't make his display some what lesser than Modric's if you get what I mean..?

Yes a strikers job is to score and benzema, Toni and Gomez did have high expectations and did not live up to that but look at Rooney last season...he should and could of scored bucket loads more but he didn't but that doesn't make his whole season a flop now does it? He worked really hard and credit is given to him for that and in the case of Torres that is what has happend this tournament imo. He is not the lone striker up front where the game only revolves around him (like Henry at Arsenal and like Torres at Liverpoo) but instead now there is a different type of football being played and Villa is next to him and he becomes that second striker creating for the main striker Villa kind of like how Rooney was when playing with Ruud.

Basically a single 3-6 game tournament cannot be the sole way to judge a player but other things should also be seen (other seasons) like in the case of Huntelaar and Benzema. We cannot just dismiss a player after just few games (like Evra). Now I know this thread was just to see who floped in this particular tournament and that is fine and maybe I went a little off topic but for people who know think the likes of Petric, Benzema and Huntelaar are not good enough for the EPL or Man Utd just after this tournament should maybe take a longer and deeper look than just this Euro 08.

I do not believe Petric is a must buy and I think his standard of play is most suitable for say teams finishing near the mid table of the EPL and would do well in clubs such as West Ham, Birmingham or Wigan and etc but I think he would do ok in the EPL. But the reason why I even thought he could be considered as a potential buy for us is if we need a player who would sit happily on the bench and would just come on when asked and just as squad depth like Fletcher is and the reason why we bought Manucho, but not signing Petric as a first team regular.

My flops for this Euro 08 would be:

Toni
Gomez
Huntelaar (expected goals like crazy from him but he didn't play much!)
Anelka
Benzema (expected goals but his display vs Romania was good)
Italian National Team
Franch National Team bar Ribery and Evra the only highlights (Thanks to their crap coach. Next time bring Mexes, Sagna, Trezugeut, Ben Arfa and leave the too old to walk;Thuram, Makalele and inexpereinced players Gomis home and bring in people who are playing well for their clubs like the ones I stated before and do not play with two dmc!!)

And Arshavin was NOT a flop...he was quite outstanding imo! The likes of Greece and the hosts did crap but they imo are not flops because I expected them to do crap so hence they lived up to my expectations lol.

A good article my mate sent to me via msn about Anelka lol

Biggest Flop: Nicolas Anelka

The ruthless among us would be tempted to blast the French team as a whole as they crashed out of Group C with only one point, while 2006 World Cup winners Italy received their quarter-final comeuppance for refusing to recognise that modern football has moved on.

However, Anelka earns especial criticism following his lacklustre performances in Austria and Switzerland.

After playing only 111 minutes in which he did not appear to break sweat, Anelka misses out on his infamous 'Le Sulk' nickname and is instead branded 'Le Flop'.

The Chelsea striker has struggled at Stamford Bridge since a £15million move from Bolton in January and that fee continues to be greeted with a slight hesitancy from all in blue, at club and international level.

·
Registered
566 Posts
sparkic, i dont think huntelaar was a flop.
he only played in 1 game and he scored in that game. he didnt play not because of his poor performance but more because holland played with only 1 targetman which is rvn.
i think benzema is a much bigger flop with so much hype surrounding him before the tournament. he has done nth in the tournament except lose the ball and move a few yards with a dribble, nth else.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would say Mario Gomez.

He was meant to be one of the players to buy and he looked like a poor pub team player :eek:

Poor touch, couldn't pass, awful shots, didn't work hard.

Basically, everything about him was awful! :p

Also, you could say Toni and Ronaldo (after the season he had, he looked a totally different player)

There was a lot of players who I was quite disappointed in, though I wouldn't call them flops.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
mario gomez was easily the worst player in the tournament who came with a big rep, it was unbelievable how bad he played...didnt seem ready for top level international football coming in from a season with stuttgart i believe...maybe wrong??

As for Ronaldo, i usually back him up anyway but for to say he had a bad tournament is unbelievable. He didnt score a hat full of goals...but then he only played in 3 matches...He created goals, was a constant threat and one man alone cannot do anything as proven by the germans. If your defense cannot stop simple set pieces/goals...a guy like ronaldo or the few on his level such as messi/kaka right now would not be able to do anything either. Like neville said, the best players produce moments through bursts...are usually explosive players and most that is great about a team involves that player...cristiano ronaldo is that player for united and portugal.

Against turkey he was very good and got better and better as the game went on...then in the next game he was the bright attacking spot and everything dangerours about portugal came through him and deco.

Againt germany he didnt have a good game but the whole portugal team didnt to be fair. Deco was good with his ball keeping but he did nothing with it for the creative midfielder...Ronaldo was quite in comparison to usual but portugal had their best moments when ronaldo was in the thick of things, suprise suprise. But it doesnt matter how good you are...and he is right in the league with a few other who can claim the very best crown but if your team cannot defend simple set pieces and your goalkeeper is a joke, how good you are becomes secondary.

As for biggest flops...

I would say gomez and luca toni...I expected more from ribery because the little we saw of him looked very good but maybe needs a lil more work still and then got injured... Also benzema looks a great prospect but france as a team played terrible.

anyway top 2 are gomez and toni for the amount of chances he missed!

pz

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Toni had somewhat of an excuse. A lot of Italy players were disuillusioned with the 4 - 3 - 3 system. You need time to adapt to that.

After all it is essentially a lone striker role. Lone strikers have a hard time scoring. Still a flop but Gomez...

What happened there? He had opportunities galore. Klose was serving goals to him on a silver platter. I am at a loss.

He's normally so very, very good.

P.S. Actually to be honest. Italy and France as a whole. Disappointment on a grandiose scale.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
abojodeh said:
Toni : failed to core single goal , failed to shoot on target
Ronaldo : one goal poor performance verus germany , swiss
Torres : one goal is poor for a striker like him and this profe that torres scores only versus the weak
Torres has been one of the players of the tournament. Ronaldo was very good. Toni wasn't a flop, he did well considering how bad Italy were as a team altogether.

·
Registered
245 Posts
owenrooneyruud said:
No10: The host broadcaster
A massive electrical storm in Vienna saw Germany's thrilling showdown with Turkey ruined for millions of armchair fans. At least 10 minutes of the rollercoaster semi-final was lost in the TV coverage, including Miroslav Klose's goal.

No9: Karim Benzema
The France striker went into the tournament with a growing reputation as his country's wonderkid. Fans were told he was the hottest property outside Italy, Spain and England. But Benzema failed to impress during his two dismal displays for the hopeless French.

No8: Adrian Mutu
The former Chelsea striker was tipped to pull up trees with underdogs Romania. And with a penalty against Italy, he was one kick away from sending his side into the quarter-finals. But Mutu fluffed his effort and Romania later tumbled out against Holland.

No7: The co-hosts
Austria and Switzerland were both among the first seeds for the tournament as the host nations but they barely raised a cheer for their own fans. Austria bowed out with a single draw, while Switzerland's only points came against Portugal in a dead rubber following their own elimination.

No6: Mario Gomez
Germany's route to the final was no mean feat — especially when you consider they were effectively playing with 10 men for their three group games. Gomez contributed next to nothing, with boss Joachim Low seeing sense in the quarter-finals to finally drop him.

No5: Thierry Henry
The man whose star continues to fade must take some of the stick for France's disjointed campaign this month. Henry's goal against Holland masked an ineffective showing, with his deflection against Italy condemning his side to an early exit from the group stages.

No4: Greece
It seems a bit harsh for the surprise winners of Euro 2004 to be here but defeat in all three group games was truly woeful. And Greece's arch-rivals Turkey rubbed the defending champions' noses in it by reaching the semi-finals with a series of thrilling comebacks.

No3: Eric Abidal
Playing the world champions in a win-or-bust final group game is never easy, yet France did not help themselves. When defender Abidal chopped down Italy's Luca Toni for a first-half penalty and straight red card, it was au revoir Les Bleus.

No2: Petr Cech
Leading 2-1 against Turkey with just two minutes left, Czech Republic had one foot in the quarter-finals— until Cech's howler. The Chelsea keeper horribly fluffed a routine cross for the equaliser, before an injury-time winner sent his side packing.

No1: Luca Toni
The Italian hotshot came to the finals on the back of a golden season with Bayern Munich, notching 31 goals in the Bundesliga. But Toni endured a dreadful tournament, missing countless chances as well as looking like a man running through treacle.
I think owenrooneyuud pretty much summed up the flops.
Dont think Cech shuld be there tho he dsnt hv the power 2 choose wether he wants it rain or not and the rain was 99% of the 2nd goals fault.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.