Sunday 17th June

Denmark v Germany 19:45
ITV
Portugal v Netherlands 19:45
ITV

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Every single game in this group should be a cracker. 2 real potential winners of the whole group in this group with another a real good outside bet.

Ugh why did you have to start these threads Sal, I was already exited enough without them :D

Germany and Holland to go through would be my bet

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Best group ever. All teams are in top 10 in the FIFA rankings. Germany will go through. The rest is open.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
The rest isn't open...it's between Holland and Portugal who'll go through. The Danes have no chance of going through
Never say never. Portugal is np, we have beaten them a lot of times. Ofc all the nations in this group have better names and players than us, but we have a good team too.

I think we can beat Portugal again. We faced Holland in the WC in 2010, were they won 2-0. (two shitty goals, an own goal and a mistake). Germany - we have no chance tbf.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Never say never. Portugal is np, we have beaten them a lot of times. Ofc all the nations in this group have better names and players than us, but we have a good team too.

I think we can beat Portugal again. We faced Holland in the WC in 2010, were they won 2-0. (two shitty goals, an own goal and a mistake). Germany - we have no chance tbf.
My, my, aren't we cocky, just because you won the group with us in it. :p You know full well we played well bellow our standards in most qualifying games, thanks in no small part to that idiot Queiroz. If we play anywhere close to our potential, this group is ours, and everyone knows it. Unfortunately, we rarely do, but don't dismiss us like that, my boy.

Anyways, the 1st game will determine it. If we manage not to lose to gerrmany, I see us capable of qualifying.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
My, my, aren't we cocky, just because you won the group with us in it. :p You know full well we played well bellow our standards in most qualifying games, thanks in no small part to that idiot Queiroz. If we play anywhere close to our potential, this group is ours, and everyone knows it. Unfortunately, we rarely do, but don't dismiss us like that, my boy.

Anyways, the 1st game will determine it. If we manage not to lose to gerrmany, I see us capable of qualifying.
Ino, you have Ronaldo, Nani etc. World Class players. But Denmark are always beeing underestimated, and I don't know why you portuguese people thinks you will run over us :)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Ino, you have Ronaldo, Nani etc. World Class players. But Denmark are always beeing underestimated, and I don't know why you portuguese people thinks you will run over us :)
Because if things go as normal, we do. When you played in Porto for the qualifying, you even needed us to score your consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat...;)

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Because if things go as normal, we do. When you played in Porto for the qualifying, you even needed us to score your consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat...;)
We had a lot of injuries in that match, but that's right. And it was very deserved that you won as well. Holland has the weakest defence in the group imo. So Portugal can be 2nd in the group if Ronaldo plays his best.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
We had a lot of injuries in that match, but that's right. And it was very deserved that you won as well. Holland has the weakest defence in the group imo. So Portugal can be 2nd in the group if Ronaldo plays his best.
Well, yeah, but Ronaldo is always marked pretty well, the main problem we generally have is a lack of proper support. We'll see...

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Well, yeah, but Ronaldo is always marked pretty well, the main problem we generally have is a lack of proper support. We'll see...
You have class players in defence, midfield and in attack :) You will do well I think. Or Ronaldo is your only class striker. Isn't he? But okay, he is the best out there so that is enough ;)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
You have class players in defence, midfield and in attack :) You will do well I think. Or Ronaldo is your only class striker. Isn't he? But okay, he is the best out there so that is enough ;)
That's the general thinking. The problem is, it's not reflected on the pitch. Honestly, I don't have any expectations of us winning any trophy until Mourinho becomes the manager, Then, we'll get somewhere. Before that, I've given up hope. We wasted our best shot in 2004.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
That's the general thinking. The problem is, it's not reflected on the pitch. Honestly, I don't have any expectations of us winning any trophy until Mourinho becomes the manager, Then, we'll get somewhere. Before that, I've given up hope. We wasted our best shot in 2004.
Yeah, you should have won in 2004, but Greece did well in that tournament, a bit Chelsea-style. Denmark won the Euro's 20 years ago, it's about time to win it again. Lol

·
Hammer of the Gods
571 Posts
The rest isn't open...it's between Holland and Portugal who'll go through. The Danes have no chance of going through
Reality check, Denmark beat Portugal in the qualification to Euro 2012 and in the World Cup 2010 qualification. Holland are not invincible either and was beaten by Sweden in the qualification a team that is of comparable strength to Denmark, plus the Dutch played some really weak games against Moldova and Finland in the qualification. Germany should win the group with Holland favorites for the 2nd place but Denmark and Portugal will have a say.

·
Hammer of the Gods
571 Posts
You seem to forget that Denmark outplayed Portugal in Copenhagen when it really mattered and only through some Christiano magic did Portugal get a consolidation goal late in the game. Also in the 2010 World Cup qualification Denmark beat Portugal in Lisbon and were unlucky only to draw in Copenhagen, so out the last four meetings it 2 win, 1 draw and 1 lost for Denmark.

Portugal has some exciting players and if they all concentrate on playing football and forget the diva antics, then they can beat anybody, but more often than not the Portuguese team has been their own undoing by starting to argue with each other and losing their heads in the games.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
You seem to forget that Denmark outplayed Portugal in Copenhagen when it really mattered and only through some Christiano magic did Portugal get a consolidation goal late in the game. Also in the 2010 World Cup qualification Denmark beat Portugal in Lisbon and were unlucky only to draw in Copenhagen, so out the last four meetings it 2 win, 1 draw and 1 lost for Denmark.

Portugal has some exciting players and if they all concentrate on playing football and forget the diva antics, then they can beat anybody, but more often than not the Portuguese team has been their own undoing by starting to argue with each other and losing their heads in the games.
I don't forget that. I said before that queiroz was destroying our chances, and he's been doing that ever since he took over from Scolari. We went from a very strong and united team in 2004 and 2006, to a team that didn't quite know what to do in 2008, when scolari was already thinking about his next gig. Queiroz came and pretty much screwed everything up, and a team in transition became a team lost, and if not for the quality that the players have, we wouldn't have qualified in 2010.
So now, and after those terrible games under queiroz, where we managed to lose a ton of points, we managed to qualify under a manager that, admittedly, is better than queiroz, but still doesn't float my boat. When he was in Sporting, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, and now, in our national squad, he has it again. He managed to put us back in contention when there was little margin of error, but he still managed to screw up in that last game.
Now, in this group, he has no margin of error left.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
I don't forget that. I said before that queiroz was destroying our chances, and he's been doing that ever since he took over from Scolari. We went from a very strong and united team in 2004 and 2006, to a team that didn't quite know what to do in 2008, when scolari was already thinking about his next gig. Queiroz came and pretty much screwed everything up, and a team in transition became a team lost, and if not for the quality that the players have, we wouldn't have qualified in 2010.
So now, and after those terrible games under queiroz, where we managed to lose a ton of points, we managed to qualify under a manager that, admittedly, is better than queiroz, but still doesn't float my boat. When he was in Sporting, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, and now, in our national squad, he has it again. He managed to put us back in contention when there was little margin of error, but he still managed to screw up in that last game.
Queiroz is shite as a manager. He should just be assistant the rest of his life..

I hope we can score some goals under the Euro's, but I don't think we will go through at all. When you look at group A it's just annoying. All the teams in this one, would go top in Group A. Maybe Denmark would be behind Russia.

·
Hammer of the Gods
571 Posts
I agree with you in that a lot of the Portuguese underachieving in tournaments in the past comes down to weak coaching. Sometimes when I am watching Portugal, I get the feeling that it is the inmates that are running the asylum. If ever the special one takes over the national team of Portugal, then the rest of the world better watch out. :)

1 - 20 of 810 Posts