Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UEFA have agreed to discuss proposals for a European Super League according to Sky Sports...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5063224,00.html

The proposal consists of 3 divisions, each consisting of 20-22 teams, which would replace the Champions League and the UEFA Cup.

Domestic leagues in each country would still continue as normal but fixtures would have to be rescheduled to accomodate teams playing in the 'Super League'.

Although Platini has said that he is personally opposed to the plans there are a number of UEFA delegates who are interested and Platini has said that if the clubs wish to participate in a Super League he will listen to them.

What do you think? Is the European Super League a good idea?

It would certainly make sure we'd know who the best team in Europe was and end talk of flukey cup wins <cough>Liverpool<cough>2005<cough>

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
no its a terrible idea its got little consideration for clubs fans who travel to away games ,its expensive enough travelling around england ,not many could afford or get the time to travel around europe to follow utd in a league format.
there would also be loads of trouble like what happens in rome every time and the uefa cup final in manchester was a disaster with the trouble that was caused , this would become common place in a european league :thumbsdownsmileyani

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Hope its not true, having a regular league would take away the magic and unpredictability of the European Cup being a knock out competition.

Bad idea IMO.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
no its a terrible idea its got little consideration for clubs fans who travel to away games ,its expensive enough travelling around england ,not many could afford or get the time to travel around europe to follow utd in a league format.
there would also be loads of trouble like what happens in rome every time and the uefa cup final in manchester was a disaster with the trouble that was caused , this would become common place in a european league :thumbsdownsmileyani
1st, I agree that it's a terrible idea, that fans won't travel to all the away games like some do now, this is mostly for more TV rights, more TV money, so obviously the clubs are interested.
2nd, the 3 divisions thing is a load of bollocks!! Unless you make them according to geography, Who's gonna care about the 2nd division, let alone the 3rd, so TV money is gonna be big just for the big boys, like it is now.
3rd, I don't think they're be loads of trouble. There's gonna be a very small group of away fans in these games, so security is easier.

Hope its not true, having a regular league would take away the magic and unpredictability of the European Cup being a knock out competition.

Bad idea IMO.
Yeah, right. Like this Champions League as any magic left in it... When you had the Champions Cup, in which only the country's champions played, then you had that. Now, it's all about the money. You might have one year or two in 10 where there's a surprise, but this is NOT the magical and unpredictable knock out competition it was once.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Yeah, right. Like this Champions League as any magic left in it... When you had the Champions Cup, in which only the country's champions played, then you had that. Now, it's all about the money. You might have one year or two in 10 where there's a surprise, but this is NOT the magical and unpredictable knock out competition it was once.
Frankly I think there is plenty of surprise and I don't think having teams that aren't champions of their country lessons the competition, it only enhances the chance of a surprise. Even in the last few years there have been wins for Liverpool and Porto which were massive shocks, and (even though they were painful for us because they were by our arch rivals and the team that knocked us out) they were magical for the rest of the football world!

I don't think its all about the money at all, its the height of club competition and the most glorious occasion a club can ever have.

There was no more magic or surprise in the old format European Cup than there is now.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Frankly I think there is plenty of surprise and I don't think having teams that aren't champions of their country lessens the competition, it only enhances the chance of a surprise. Even in the last few years there have been wins for Liverpool and Porto which were massive shocks, and (even though they were painful for us because they were by our arch rivals and the team that knocked us out) they were magical for the rest of the football world!
I think you're wrong. Having the same teams from the same countries every year constitutes WHAT in terms of magic and surprise?? I didn't say anything about it beeing more competitive, I know it's harder now. Therefore, like I said, you might have an upset once or twice every 10 years, like Porto. I don't think liverpool winning was that much of a surprise, they were clearly investing all their efforts in it. To me, a surprise is team not in this list winning:
Manchester
Real
Barcelona
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea
Milan
Inter
Juventus
Bayern

I don't think its all about the money at all, its the height of club competition and the most glorious occasion a club can ever have.
Of course it's about the money!!! UEFA cup pays shit, that's why they're changing it, and giving it more finantial incentives, because no one wants to play in it, if they can get to the CL. Even getting to the groups stage is great financial boost.

There was no more magic or surprise in the old format European Cup than there is now.
Clearly, you've very young, and saw very little, if anything of the old Champions Cup.
The Champions League started in 92, and it's become more and more money driven since.

In the old one, you had magic and surprises, both in the winners and the finalists, and surprise eliminations. For example, How can a club that has only one his country's championship once have 2 European Champions Cup?s? and you have that, Nothingham Forest was champion in 78, won the Cup in 79, and as defending champions played it in 80, and won it again.

But now, you have a club that hasn't won it's league in almost 20 years and played 2 finals, and won once.

And so, you have countries with proper champions beeing left out, and other countries with 2,3 and 4 clubs in it. The simple fact there's no need to be champions to be in it is enough for it to no longer deserve that name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts