Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
European Super Cup

What do you think of it? Is it a worthwhile match/trophy? Before I start, I want to
stress that this isn't a rant because we lost in Monaco...

This is a game which the winners of both the UEFA Cup Champions League, meet
just after the start of the season for a pretty pointless game in all fairness.
Reason I'm confused by the set up, is purely because it forms another game
which is stuck in right at the start of the season so it disrupts teams momentum's
and causes games to be re-arranged. It happened to Liverpool 3years ago, and it
happened to us last year.

Why not have it in pre-season as part of a set up? In a similar way to the
Community Shield? Its been bugging me since we lost the final, if I'm honest, and
its probably fair to say that I wouldn't be writing this had we won, but never the
less, I think its more of a punishment almost to win the Champions League.

Lets not go overboard now and talk about the WCC, if you manage to win the
Super Cup...may aswell re-arrange the whole season for those games.

What do you think?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Keano! said:
Why not have it in pre-season as part of a set up?
I was about to reply that you've made a really good point there Keano, but then I realised...whose pre-season?

Weren't Zenit already a couple of months into their season? Countries around Europe start their league season at different times, even if it's only a couple of weeks difference teams will be at different stages of their pre-season preperations.

As for the game itself, it is a glorified friendly but I was taking it more seriously than the Vodacom Challenge or the Community Shield.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reddwarf said:
I was about to reply that you've made a really good point there Keano, but then I realised...whose pre-season?

Weren't Zenit already a couple of months into their season? Countries around Europe start their league season at different times, even if it's only a couple of weeks difference teams will be at different stages of their pre-season preperations.

As for the game itself, it is a glorified friendly but I was taking it more seriously than the Vodacom Challenge or the Community Shield.

True...So it may have been more of an inconvenious to them to play, although they'll be delighted with the outcome.

So is there no stage in the year that the European leagues are off at once?

And secondly, is there a need for such a game?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
still think it's a worthwhile competition could just be handled differently in terms of timing...if anything is a waste of time it's the world club championship event that fifa seem to enjoy so much...like last time in brasil the thing is a joke

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i think the super cup is fine. its a good idea. to major europeon winners facing each other. its a good occasion. i went to this years one and even tho we lost the atmosphere was great. was a good excuse to travel and see an amazing country like monaco. Tbh i dunno why fans complain to much about it. say to an arsenal or chelsea fan, ever seen your team in the super cup? see what they say were as a proud united fan can go why yes i have. no problem with it at all. more money and more trophies for the club

one thing i will agree with you is that the date for it is ludacris. i think it should be done in july early august. not because wev just started a season because more games means more match fitness but the fact that zenit were wellllllll into their season. which i think is a bit unfair. like rewind to the to may and say we faced them just after the champions league final and i think we would have seen a much different result. other than that im all for the super cup and world club championships purely for the fact united are in them and no1 else so bragging rights for us

1 - 6 of 6 Posts