Manchester United Talk banner

Even The Quadruple Is Possible

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6625752&page=1

The Reds may still be going strong in four competitions, but Ryan Giggs says the players are not getting carried away by talk of a possible quadruple.

Since securing a spot in the last 16 of the Champions League and winning the Club World Cup before Christmas, Sir Alex's men have been concentrating on domestic matters.

Currently top of the Premier League, United have a Carling Cup final against Tottenham to look forward to and are through to the FA Cup's last 16 after beating the same opposition.

The Reds' trophy quest, which started with the Community Shield last August, has not been helped by a spate of injuries sustained in recent weeks, but Giggs feels the squad is strong enough to cope providing everyone is properly focused on the job in hand.

"Hopefully the latest injuries won't have too much of an impact because we've also got the likes of Patrice, Wayne, Wes and Rio all coming back. That should help us," said Ryan.

"People have been talking about us winning all four trophies, but as players we just get on with things. We've got as far as we can in the League Cup now and we'll look forward to the final when it comes round. After the FA Cup (against Spurs), it's back to the league.

"We've just got to perform well in every game and make sure we have the right attitude and concentration going into whatever competition we're playing in."

Giggs may have won every honour going, but he remains as hungry as ever for more.

"I think the motivation to win gets stronger as you come towards the end of your career because you never know when the chance to win a trophy might be your last," declared the 35 year-old. "You're more focused and more determined than ever."

Ryan was talking to ManUtd.com, PA Sport, BBC Radio and Key 103.
Can we win the quadruple? We play Tottenham in the League Cup Final, are top of the league, are in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup and also in the Champions League. What do you think? Could it be the best season we ever had? :p

The Community Shield is ours, but we have lost the UEFA Super Cup. :mad:

And we are world champions. We have won every competition that season, except the UEFA Super Cup. :mad:

#4 ·
Hopefully we'll win the Carling cup and get atleast to the final of the FA cup. if we beat the fools (loserpool) and arsenal at home I think we'll be champions again. The hardest thing to win will be the CL, but first we should be concentrating of beating Inter

#5 ·
Jazz 16 said:
lol. I made a thread like this a while back. I believe we can do it, although we will
need a HUGE amount of luck along the way, mainly in the FA cup and the CL.
I feel the Prem and Carling Cup are the more realistic trophies.
Believe!!
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/17823-quadruple.html
Sorry, Jazz 16, Keano! and Salford Red. For making double threads but I was two weeks not here and it seems me that I missed a lot. Don't be upset. :p

To win the Champions League you need a little bit luck also the FA Cup. But against Tottenham in the Carling Cup Final, it'll be an easy one. The Premiership could will be a photo finish.

#6 ·
The thing is, in cup competitions, and even the league when its decided by 1 or 2 points, that one bad game, one off day, can put you out of the competition. So the chances of that not happening in every competition or very slim.

However anything is possible, and we seem (touch would) to be coping well with one hell of an injury crisis at the moment. So while I make no predictions, we probably have as good a chance this season as ever

#7 ·
ayrton-senna3 said:
Sorry, Jazz 16, Keano! and Salford Red. For making double threads but I was two weeks not here and it seems me that I missed a lot. Don't be upset. :p

No need to apologise at all. We just merge them up if we see doubles.
Youre a good member so you can start whatever thread ya like ;)

wtf? my thread seems to have been deleted :confused: howd that happen?

#9 ·
With the current situation regarding injuries ect no.But you never know,it would take an ultimatley special season for it to happen and i personally dont think it will.Lets not forget Chelsea last season.JT came out and said ''We're on for the Quad''

then results like this came a cropper
----------------------------------------------------
Carling Cup Final: Lost 2-1 Spurs Feb 24th

Fa Cup : Lost 1-0 Barnsley -- Out Of FA Cup March 08

Last Game of Season:
Drew 1-1 Bolton-Lost EPL May 11th

Champs League Final: we all know what happened.........- Lost UCL May 21st

------------------------------------------------

So in just short of a month,they had gone from fighting on all 4 fronts to nothing.....there's a fine line between success and failure.I for one cant see all 4 being won,yes it IS possible in theory,in reality i think not,id love to be wrong though!

#17 ·
Full-house not on

Lou Macari has told Sky Sports News that Manchester United will not be able to win a clean sweep of trophies this season.

United have already won the Club World Cup and Community Shield this season and have their eye on four more trophies in 2009 having reached the final of the Carling Cup, the fifth round of the FA Cup, the knockout stages of the Champions League and taken the lead in the Premier League.

However, Macari believes an unfortunate decision or piece of bad luck will deny Sir Alex Ferguson a full-house this year.

"Somewhere along the line you'll go somewhere and things won't drop for you or the ball won't run for you and you'll be beaten," said the former United star.

"I think that applies to any team, even the best teams that have been around over the years.

"At this moment in time, with the way things are going for them and the personnel the manger has got available, he'd settle for two or three.

"It's another great season if you win two trophies, it is fantastic if you win three and, well, it's just mind blowing if you win four."
Impressed

Macari has been impressed with United this season, especially in the way they have coped with losing key players and the way their inexperienced youngsters have dealt with the responsibility of covering United's star players.

He said: "When your centre-half is injured like Rio Ferdinand you think 'well that will be a problem for the team,' when your left-back, Patrice Evra, goes missing for a few weeks you have an even bigger problem.

"When you have to bring in players who haven't been playing regularly, have a lack of fitness and, because they're youngsters, lack of knowledge of the Premier League you think well this isn't going to work out. But it has worked out."

"I've been amazed. When you get the team sheet at old Trafford and you see so many changes, you see a couple of youngsters coming in you think well they may struggle a little bit today.

"They have struggled on occasions but they've still won.

"I think that reflects the character of the manager, I think it reflects the character of the players and I think it reflects Manchester United and what they're all about."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_4852853,00.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.