Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the Sun, but I thought I'd put it up anyway...

Manchester United to sign Adem Ljajic when he plays for Serbia
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/01/manchester-united-to-sign-adem-ljajic-when-he-plays-for-serbia-115875-20938565/

Manchester United will sign Serbian starlet Adem Ljajic once he wins his first international cap.

United and Partizan Belgrade have agreed a deal for the 17-year-old who will not be allowed to move until he plays for his country and qualifies for a work permit. Ljajic impressed during a trial at Old Trafford and is tipped as the next big thing in his homeland.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has already set up a deal for Partizan winger Zoran Tosic, but Ljajic is the prize catch of the pair. He has already starred for Serbia's Under-21 side.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Excelent news!

It's about time we properly scout the world for the best young players, its ignorant with our money not to really

think if we had been on the ball and discovered kaka messi fabregas etc and co early

This kind of transfer is definately a positive step for united, and i'm pleased with the scouting base im Brazil.

I think Fergie wants his successor to have a world class generation of young players waiting to come through at their disposal, like he did when he joined, which really was the catalyst for his success

Good!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Richie said:
Excelent news!

It's about time we properly scout the world for the best young players, its ignorant with our money not to really

think if we had been on the ball and discovered kaka messi fabregas etc and co early

This kind of transfer is definately a positive step for united, and i'm pleased with the scouting base im Brazil.

I think Fergie wants his successor to have a world class generation of young players waiting to come through at their disposal, like he did when he joined, which really was the catalyst for his success

Good!
but the day is fast approaching when utd fields a team full of foreign imports and that would horrify me :eek:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richie said:
Excelent news!

Good!
You should read my rants about our scouts and our transfer policies.....

Fabregas was in the very same youth team as gerard Pique and Fergie himself lamented in an interview that he don't know how they missed out.

I mean, we had scouts watching Pique and Fabregas and only thought to recommend Pique..... who was sold back to Barca for pitance, while Fab commands a fee of upwards of 25mil or probably more. ridiculous....

and yes our scouting network is still not as good as Barca's or Milan who picked up Kaka when he was 15.

Ronaldo was a fluke just in case anybody wants to bring that up, so yeah I 'm glad we finally have two permanent scouts in Brazil and that we're not just signing "stars" at the moment.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
RedForceRising said:
You should read my rants about our scouts and our transfer policies.....

Fabregas was in the very same youth team as gerard Pique and Fergie himself lamented in an interview that he don't know how they missed out.

I mean, we had scouts watching Pique and Fabregas and only thought to recommend Pique..... who was sold back to Barca for pitance, while Fab commands a fee of upwards of 25mil or probably more. ridiculous....

and yes our scouting network is still not as good as Barca's or Milan who picked up Kaka when he was 15.

Ronaldo was a fluke just in case anybody wants to bring that up, so yeah I 'm glad we finally have two permanent scouts in Brazil and that we're not just signing "stars" at the moment.
i wouldnt call several million pounds a pitance for a player that was pretty much free.
Also in the case of players like kaka he didn't move until he was 21 by which time most people had seen him and knew he was going to be a great player. Most of the bigger european clubs bring in foreign stars that have proved themselves for a year or two in their own countries before signing them. The fact that we signed players such as rossi and pique shows we obviously search the players out just sometimes don't find the right ones.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK , you are right. Several million pounds are not loose change, but I don't think you can argue that Fabregas' eventual transfer fee will dwarf that of Pique's.

Kaka moved when he was 21, but he was already singled out and spoken for by the age of 15.

I'm not saying other big teams don't have problems scouting the right players too, but Man Utd's record is very poor.

What's the use of finding the wrong players?! :confused:

For a team of Man Utd's stature and resources the scouting department hasn't been unearthing young players that have gone on to be stars for some time.

Compare this to Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona or Milan and we definitely have some catching up to do.

I'm not saying we don't have a scouting network, I'm saying we are definitely behind other big European teams in this department.

Hopefully we are starting to catch up.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
but you are angry that we have signed another two serbs :D which makes them 3

being angry because a nationality of a person is a bit racism

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lucky7 said:
Nice to see United signing all Serbian's Academy :mad: :mad:
Any particular reason why this bothers you?

Its in the Mirror/Sun s...i really son't believe a thing that comes out of that pile of garbage. I do hope it's true.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
abojodeh said:

There was nothing racist about his remark and I find it quite lame that you;re trying to bait him into saying something wrong.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
RedForceRising said:
OK , you are right. Several million pounds are not loose change, but I don't think you can argue that Fabregas' eventual transfer fee will dwarf that of Pique's.

Kaka moved when he was 21, but he was already singled out and spoken for by the age of 15.

I'm not saying other big teams don't have problems scouting the right players too, but Man Utd's record is very poor.

What's the use of finding the wrong players?! :confused:

For a team of Man Utd's stature and resources the scouting department hasn't been unearthing young players that have gone on to be stars for some time.

Compare this to Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona or Milan and we definitely have some catching up to do.

I'm not saying we don't have a scouting network, I'm saying we are definitely behind other big European teams in this department.

Hopefully we are starting to catch up.
it is hard to decide who will fit in to the team though, in the past many of these great young players have been about and how many turn out as well as the couple of examples given. Look at players like saviola and diego etc etc, both good players but seen as future world stars many years ago. They have gone on to do well but are not on the level of the likes of kaka.
The fact is alot of these european clubs pay big money for youth prospects from abroad when in the past united have not wanted to risk paying upwards of ten million for a player that might not turn out that great.
Also most of the so called top players had been spotted at an early age by most big clubs but that doesn't mean they will just sign them as they look good at age 15/16.
In regards to united if we can't find these players then why is ronaldo now our best player and who are the likes of fabio and rafeal.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
abojodeh said:

Kinda like when you said Nasri was a dirty frog?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
NateR said:
Any particular reason why this bothers you?
Maybe that war thing that happened, where Milosevic murdered his countrymen through mass genocide?

Just a guess.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
RedForceRising said:
But if we had signed Fabregas, would we know what his transfer price will be? I mean he wouldn't have to leave us to win trophies like he's going to leave Arsenal. ;)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts