Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PARIS: Manchester United defender Patrice Evra says he will give “300 per cent†effort to propel France to the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa.

Evra has tasted success of late, winning two Premier Leagues and a Champions League title since joining the English giants in 2006 – and his appetite for further honours is as keen as ever.

“With the French team it's no laughing matter – the shirt is supreme,†Evra said from the squad's training camp north of Paris on Thursday.

“If you give 100 per cent to your club, you have to give 300 per cent to the French team.â€

Raymond Domenech's men open their qualifying campaign today against Austria, with the visit of Serbia four days later, and the under-fire French coach admitted midweek that he was revelling in the pressure.

It's an attitude that chimes with Evra as France look to bounce back from their miserable Euro 2008 campaign where they lost twice and drew once and failed to get further than the group stage.

The defender is far from guaranteed his place in the French squad, with Eric Abidal and Gael Clichy breathing down his neck – a situation he knows well from his early days with Sir Alex Ferguson's outfit.

“(The competition) pushes me to excel. I accept it as much as it's healthy,†he said.

“It's a good thing that Abidal and Clichy are behind me. When I arrived at Manchester United, it was said that (Gabriel) Heinze was the best, and I did what I had to do.â€

Evra joined United after four seasons with AS Monaco, going on to displace Heinze after some impressive performances, becoming an indispensable and talismanic presence in the Old Trafford side.

“I haven't played enough to say that I'm the first-choice,†said Evra, of his France first-team hopes.

“I played the last two matches at Euro, but the Euro is far away. Football moves so quickly... I see myself as I was before the Euro: a French squad player.

“For selection you must be the best, you can lose your place very quickly. You don't have much time, you must always prove yourself, to say to yourself this is the last time I play.â€

"If you give 100% of yourself when you play with your club, you have to give 300% with France. Here, it's L'Equipe de France, we're not here for fun, it's the supreme shirt."...and it's true...first of all - the entire nation's eyes look right at you, second of all - the competition is greater for that particular place - and third of all - he's french, not english-apart from being a player and a fan of man united there is no other relation with the club...money can't be worth more than blood...playing for your nation is the greatest achivement a player from continent can get ... it's different with english ( although i don't know why )

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
evra is showing his value toward his country good thought and mates put your money in england team they gonna win wc2010 well they have very good chance england just need to change its 2 calamity keeper robinson and james
get Foster he is very good.

Anyway im not Capello lol

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Odd statement as you cant give more than 100%....
He is amazing for United which is the main thing.
Being half French and my family over there being footie mad and my godfather
being good mates with Desailly means I have an avid interest in their national
team ,especially if Ireland havent made the tournament.
Evra is in a tough spot for France as they have loads of real quality left backs,
Abidal and Clichy as well as himself. Imo he is better than the other 2 but
the coach has preffered Abidal in recent times. We shall see,

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jazz 16 said:
Odd statement as you cant give more than 100%....He is amazing for United which is the main thing.
Being half French and my family over there being footie mad and my godfather
being good mates with Desailly means I have an avid interest in their national
team ,especially if Ireland havent made the tournament.
Evra is in a tough spot for France as they have loads of real quality left backs,
Abidal and Clichy as well as himself. Imo he is better than the other 2 but
the coach has preffered Abidal in recent times. We shall see,
i know but he meant that his heart is beating for france so...
you're irish+french - man you really must hate english;)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Lucky7 said:
Yet Evra was confident of a winning start for France tonight but they Lost:D
Yeah. :D Evra may have been giving 300% but Mexes and Gallas were probably on 15% each with the way France played.

Conceding 3 times to Austria should be a criminal offence. Especially when they only scored 1 in reply. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts