Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patrice Evra wasn't prepared to contemplate a second Champions League final defeat but admits he was scared it would become reality during the dramatic penalty shoot-out against Chelsea.

With Cristiano Ronaldo missing his spot-kick to allow the blues to take the lead, Evra feared he would experience a repeat of Monaco's final loss against FC Porto in 2004.

Inspired to succeed by the disappointment of that loss, the Reds left-back remained confident that United would turn it around, although now he finally has a winners' medal it is taking time to sink in.

“I can't believe I am a champion,†a delighted Evra told MUTV. “I never stopped believing we would win this competition, but I was scared a little bit when Ronny missed his penalty.

“The experience with Monaco helped me a lot. I said to myself that I couldn't lose a second final. If we had lost the match I would have asked the boss not to play me in the Champions League next year. To lose two finals would have been hard to take.â€

Fortunately Evra won't be having that conversation with the boss. Instead he said the team were inspired to win by the manager's dedication to United for over 20 years.

“I am very happy, the atmosphere in the dressing room was great and it was a big present for Sir Alex Ferguson because he deserves it for working so hard for United,†he said.

“It is unbelievable, but I think we deserve it. We have the squad, talent and spirit in this team.â€

Having won the Premier League and Champions League in only his second full season at Old Trafford, Evra is now eyeing another double - a new United contract and success with France this summer.

Quotes attributed to Patrice in the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph read:

"Negotiations over an extension to my contract have dragged on a bit. We will have another meeting on May 29 but the ball is in the club's court. They know what has already been agreed so we will see what happens. A lot of clubs are interested in me."

As for his chances of playing for France at Euro 2008, Evra says:

"I'm not going to expect a place in the starting XI just because I'm a European (club) champion.

"I've come here with more confidence and I'm going to show that. But I don't feel like an international. I don't even have 10 caps, I've only got nine. An international is someone who has had a great tournament."

- Evra deserves every success and medal he gets. He is no nonsense on the pitch and I can't remember him having a bad game all season. There have been some wingers who have gotten the better of him, but I've net seen him put in a bad individual performance for a on, long time.

It would have been very harsh on him, if he had ended up being a losing finalist for the second time like Michael Ballack :)

This is yet another interview where a player talks about how good the team spirit is. Something that you don't hear coming out of the Chelsea ranks.

I hope the club and his agent can agree on a fee that reflects his performances without breaking the bank and that he will be with us for many years to come.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
And here is me thinking, another massive missive from the master of man utd manuals of masterful prose, but wait? I can read this in a few seconds, oh all right then ;)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
We seriously need to tie Evra down to a lengthy contract. He has been the best LB in the world this season and he is just getting into his prime.

We saw vs Chelski that him and Ronaldo are deadly down the wing, and from what i've seen him and Nani could also be very effective.

If he stays for 6/7 more years then i think he has the potential to be named alongside Dennis Irwin as one of our best LB's ever. The only other LB that comes close to him this season is Clichy.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Agree completely. Evra is the best left back in the world at this point in time.
That's not even being biased as well. He has every attribute in abundance.
Being an ex-winger means he is great going forward as well. His tackling,
his work rate, his leap is immense for a little lad. World class player.

I really hope to see him for the French in the Euro's. If Abidal makes the
team ahead of him, Ill be seething mad. He deserves it for the 2 seasons he
has had. I'll be rooting for France as I'm half french and he will be the left
back of the tournament if he bloody plays that is.

They have to give him his contract, he is irreplaceable and part of Europe's
meanest defence.

Saying that, Im slightly concerned at a few of his quotes, but I guess thats
what we have come to expect from the top players in the game.
He is just trying to get himself the best deal possible, which I guess he is
entitled to.

When he said this, I cringed. I hate when players say this:

"They know what has already been agreed so we will see what happens.
A lot of clubs are interested in me."

and another odd snippet from Pat:
"If we had lost the match I would have asked the boss not to play me in
the Champions League next year."

I'm probably reading too much into that, but isn't that an odd thing to say?

Anyway, we need Pat, he is a legend in the making and who in their right
mind would leave the European Champions......

I just love saying that lol
Manchester United-European Champions! :)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Agree completely. Evra is the best left back in the world at this point in time.

I really hope to see him for the French in the Euro's. If Abidal makes the
team ahead of him, Ill be seething mad. He deserves it for the 2 seasons he
has had. I'll be rooting for France as I'm half french and he will be the left
back of the tournament if he bloody plays that is.

meanest defence.

entitled to.

Manchester United-European Champions! :)
lol I know what you mean, imagine if we win the world club championships aswell, Manchester United, champions of the world! :D

but i'm not too worried about him signing the contract, I think he will end up signing it because he knows that there is o better place to be than here, plus Fergie knows that we have got the best LB in the wolrd in our team.

If its the end of the summer, and he still hasn't signed, then i will be worried.

I think Abidal will still be the French LB though, i rekon it will be similar the the Michael Carrick situation, the best player in there positions for their respective countries, but still getting overlooked :( .

Still, if he doesn't play much atleast he will be fresher for next season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jazz 16 said:

meanest defence.

entitled to.

Manchester United-European Champions!
:)
I was really surprised to read those comments.

The quote about not playing in the next CL, if he lost the final twice was on manutd.com so it's pretty reliable, but the other quote was on other sites, so hopefully it "misquoted" otherwise i would be a tad bit disappointed.

Although we all know that this kind of talk just means "Please give me more money' and patrice deserves it.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
If Abidal makes the
team ahead of him, Ill be seething mad.
Tell me about it. Domenech & Aragones. I just don't know what's up with their selecton policies. No Gael Clichy? :confused:

I mean Clichy's young but he''s still better than Abidal at present. Abidal offer little going forward. If Domench wants strength he's got Evra.

As for Aragones it's 2:00am and if I start now I wont get to sleep at all tonight. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts