Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's happened to Mr. Consistency?

Usually top class in every game he plays. Seems to be going through a bad patch recently.

Played okay tonight but still let Pennant in with a chance that could easily have resulted in a goal if Crouch wasn't so poor.

How does a superbly consistent performer suddenly lose his class?

Let's hope he's on his way back to his best.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I watched him today and noticed how slow on the turn he seemed.

I think its due to fatigue. Don't forget that he is usually the main threat from the left side and does as much running as Park does.

He needs to get his act together for the Arsenal game though. Wallcot is on form right now.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It wasn't long ago since i said that he's the only consistent player we have got, now things have changed. I don't say he lost his class, but yea he went down hill and surely he should do much, much better. Failed to mark Johnson (i think it was him) and we could have suffered from that mistake.
He's prone to it, i can only hope it'll be sooner rather than later until he'll find his form again.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Mr. Consistency eh, I like it..!:D

Yeah he's been average the last few times i've seen him, he seems to have forgotten how to defend a bit.. He's still quality going forward but now when I watch him I feel that he's prone to make denfensive errors.. Still lets not be too critical, he's going through a little blip that most of the defence went through and he'll get over it soon..!

He had a really bad game against Liverpool and Lennon ran him ragged in the Carling Cup Final, so i'm guessing it was those 2 performances that dented his confidence and lead to his drop in form..!

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
Weird time to make this thread. He has been nowhere near his normal standards a fair few games this season but against Pompey I thought he played very well. :confused:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
ya evra is a great player hes a threat getting foward but hes been slackin in defence lately, cud all be down to fatigue, we dont have any other recongised left back, fabio maybe but hes played three matchs im not sure and came off injured in two, he may improve next year and stay injury free, big john o useally slots in at when evra needs a rest but with the problem at right back john o has been playing there for the best part of the season, when we get wes back and hopefully neville and john o aren't too bad and evra mite get a bit of a rest and he'll be back on form next season..

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think to be fair in the last two or three games his form has began to pick up again gradually, he is not making errors now, and tonight he had quite a fair impact on the match. Should be back in full flow by the end of the season.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
His confidence was waivering slightly but he's still, without a doubt, a very valuable asset to to the team. Since the departure of Gabby, which I was dissapointed with, Patrice has become an integral part of our defence and style. Attacking fullbacks overlapping with wingers and midfield players, mixing it up and making it very hard to mark anyone. I personally think that what has affected him most is that we don't have a strong left winger who will track back, cover and help him out when he gets in trouble. I think we only need buy one player this season, a powerful left winger or another left back and let him (Evra) move up the pitch to the left wing. Anyway, I'm not going to criticise him at all, I think that he is not only fantastic but is also a brilliant character to have around the dressing room/training pitch. He's well liked by all the team and does far more than we see on the pitch alone, a truly great player and a personal favourite of mine

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
this is just a blip , he has been imense for the last 2 seasons or so and he has played an awful lot of games.
i think he is suffering a little burn out , he has had to cover a lot of ground this season because of our problems with left wing .
he has been showing signs of improvement lately which is encouraging and gives him a bit of a confidence boost.
compared to last season this one has been a long hard slog and im sure all the players have felt it at some stage , whereas last season everyone seemed to be going at full steam right to the end.
its been a mixed season not just for evra and im sure he will be back with our usual swagger soon.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Form started to decline in late Feb / early March and hasn't his his usual highs since, but let's give the gy credit - even when he' underperforming he's still in the top 3 left backs in Europe, no?

I'm worried however, because he hasn't been as sharp going forward or in defence.

When going forward against Liverpool there was a situation after Ronaldo made it 1-0, he could have passed to Rooney, who only had Hyppia to beat and took a wayward shot instead.

And then there have been situations like last night where he got into the box after some brilliant play between him and Rooney and he had two options and ponderd too long about it and was jut barged off the ball.

He just doesn't seemed 100% focused and I hope it's fatigue and not something else like for example his friend's contract situation (Tevez).

Defensively, there have been a few lapses as well and he's going to face Aaron Lennon on Saturday *facepalm*.

Just hope Pat can use it as a match to show his brilliance and get back to his usual high standards

·
Registered
915 Posts
Its simply down to fatigue. He is our only recognised left back, plays the vast majority of games and is up & down the wing for 90 minutes a match. Hopefully Fabio will stay fit & push for more first team football next season, which should a) keep Evra on his game & b) give him a rest when he needs it

Maybe for the next few games he should concentrate on getting things right defensively & let the guys in front of him deal with attack (not gonna happen though :D)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i won't have a go at evra because he is a brilliant player, a blip here and there for various reasons is always to be expected from any player during the season especially one as consistent as him, i'm sure he'll be back up to speed soon enough.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
I think Man Utd fans are too used to having ridiculously high expectations. Evra can't be perfect all the time.
Nobody is suggesting he should be. All we're trying to discuss is what exactly happened.

He ahsn't looked right since he got a roasting off Aaron Lennon. Confidence along with fatigue are probably the issues.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
anyone still rate him higher than the brilliant dennis irwin :D , i remember reading in earlier threads about how evra was the best full back ever those people were talking through their dirtboxes . evra is a very good full back when he is on form but he ain't consistent like dennis {most consistent player i have seen} and he never will be .

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
anyone still rate him higher than the brilliant dennis irwin :D , i remember reading in earlier threads about how evra was the best full back ever those people were talking through their dirtboxes . evra is a very good full back when he is on form but he ain't consistent like dennis {most consistent player i have seen} and he never will be .
Evra trails off for a few weeks and all of a sudden he's inconsistent.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think it's just either confidence, fatigue or both. Evra's a fantastic full-back, and he hasn't turned into a bad player overnight. He could do with a rest, but with the amount of games we have and considering how big they are there's no time for that atm. I think we should play Park in front of him for the Spurs and Arsenal games, because he'll need help against Lennon and Walcott imo.

Tbf though, it's the only real blip he's had (that I can think of anyway) since he found his feet in English football so it is expected really.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Evra trails off for a few weeks and all of a sudden he's inconsistent.:rolleyes:
i am talking in regards of dennis irwin who was mr dependable , yet a lot of people on here have classed evra higher :rofl: , i have stated evra is a class full back and i would not swap him , but since lennon skinned him he has been very poor and he also started his utd carear off very poorly .
i would just like to remind people that irwin never had a poor spell and good old den will always be :first:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts