Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didier Drogba could face a Football Association charge after throwing a coin back at Burnley fans.

The Chelsea striker opened the scoring in Wednesday's Carling Cup clash but was prevented from celebrating when the object was thrown on to the pitch.

Drogba, who also appeared to gesture to the away fans, threw the coin back into the crowd and his actions are now being investigated by the FA.

The 30-year-old has issued an apology but that may not be enough to save him from a possible misconduct charge.

"This is something I want to make clear. I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me," said Drogba, who was shown a yellow card.

"The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt, I just want to apologise for it.

"This is not something I should show in a football match and I want to apologise.

"It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more."

Chelsea will now await the referee's report before commenting further but Burnley manager Owen Coyle and Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari both denied seeing the incident.

Scolari said: "I have not spoken with Didier about any problem. The referee gave him a yellow card but I did not see what happened."

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they will also be investigating the incident.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4493314,00.html

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I think it was a disgrace. IMO, there'll be a heavey fine hitting him at the very
least...

...if Rooney or someone on our side did this, the media would have had a field
day! I didn't hear one thing about it all day, bar a clip of what happened as the
highlights of the game were shown on SkyNews at 7am today....

First the gesture and the the coin throwing back......*shakes head*...

Edit:

Oh and the **** who threw the coin on in the first palce should be dealt with too IMO

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
it was on the bbc at 1o'clock,its been on the radio...the press,especially sky hounded essien after his tackle on i think it was a pool player..they are going to do the same with drogba....yes it's disgusting that he should retaliate to the crowd,and should be seen to set an example..by ignoring the incident,but once again we have some twonk so called fan throwing coins...if the idiot hadn't thrown the coin at drogba in the first place,there would have been no problem...on the other hand what if that coin had hit someone in the crowd...it's all getting so stupid now,and that could have blinded someone....

oh by the way,if one of our players had done something like that ......well what about mr cantona's kung fu kick then...that was in my opinion just as bad...

S

·
0 Posts
In 2002, Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was sent off in an FA Cup tie against Arsenal at Highbury after throwing a coin back into the crowd. He received a mandatory three-match ban.

So i'd expect Drogba to get the same.

I remember Ciddeh 'fans' throwing coins at Becks when he was taking a corner.

He picked them up, turned & nodded thanks to the morons and put the coins into his shorts, grinning :D :D

Not quite the reaction the bitter fans wanted. :D

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Heard this on 5Live....

If a fan is given a permenant ban on attending any football games for throwing a
coin...

...why isn't the player given one for throwing one?

Its a bloody good point in one sense and a silly one in another way....raises a
good pont though.

Should players be dealt with by police/courts in the exact same way as fans are if
something "bad" happens?

Be it coin throwing
Disgraceful tackles

etc....

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
it was a really dumb thing for drogba to do but i feel sorry for players in such instance's its the scum person in the crowd that should be punished and banned for life by the club involved , but rarely are these people found.
i was at a game a fortnight ago {not utd} i was stood in the front row on the terrace and there were dozens of children against the wall in front of me and a coin bounced amongst them that was thrown from way behind us, these clowns need to be identified and kicked out for life.
at the same game there was quite a few racial insults thrown at the opponents 2 black strikers ,there were about 4 stewards around this area and none of them threw the idiots out , i was quite shocked to tell you the truth because its the first time i heard it at the ground in about 20 visits and being a white man i honestly felt embaressed by the idiots shouting the filth behind me , who were standing about 6 foot away from the nearest steward.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
You can go both ways with this.

The fan shouldn't have thrown the coin in the first place, and he should be dealt with if they can catch him.

However, a player can't throw the coin back into the stand. Its dangerous and stupid, so he should be dealt with as well.

But I agree with K. If it had been Rooney for example, I think we would have heard a lot more about it than we are.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It was stupid and he should get a 3 game ban but in his defence it was in the
heat of the moment, whilst celebrating a goal. The person who threw the coin
in the real scum bag. Drogba was an idiotic but talk of long term or lifetime bans is ludicrous.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
still think that if the moron in the crowd hadn't thrown the coin in the first place ,there wouldn't have been a problem.doesn't mean i think that drogba was right to react,but who wouldn't.....hope he gets a ban and a huge fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
marty davidson said:
I don't blame Drogba it should not have been threw at him.
While i agree its not his fault that some dopey fan decided to chuck a coin at him, it is however his fault that he picked it up and threw it back,and in doing so made him jst as bad as the fan who threw it in the first place. Maybe scorin agin and gettin Chelsea into the next round of the carling cup might have been a better response, there was no need for that kind of reaction, and he should have been sent off,

If it had been Rooney he'd have been off without hesitation, christ the guy got a yellow for kissin his badge!!!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
these footballers are only human,and i suppose that in a certain situation at the wrong time they can snap....the moronic so called fans who threw coins at drogba wanted a reaction,and he gave it to them...we pay our ticket money to get into watch the football,that doesn't automatically give us the right to try and maime the players,and thats exactlywhat the burnley fans were doing,they didnt throw money at him cause he needed it did they..they threw coins at him to hurt him...to me that is such a sign of a coward,but i bet they dont trace the idiots who threw the coins in the first place....a ban and a fine would be the right punishment for the chelsea man..but ban the fan who started it..

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Red_Devil28 said:
While i agree its not his fault that some dopey fan decided to chuck a coin at him, it is however his fault that he picked it up and threw it back,and in doing so made him jst as bad as the fan who threw it in the first place. Maybe scorin agin and gettin Chelsea into the next round of the carling cup might have been a better response, there was no need for that kind of reaction, and he should have been sent off,

If it had been Rooney he'd have been off without hesitation, christ the guy got a yellow for kissin his badge!!!

Exactly...I'd hate to think the abuse that he would have been given. and there'd
be more trouble too, as Fergie would be raging about it and then teh FA
would "send him another wee letter"...

This sort of underlines the fact that United aren't well liked amongst the FA...

As for Drogba, I doubt there'll be any match ban coming....just a fine me thinks,
but whats a 30K fine for someone earning up to 4 times that??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
don't mind drogba getting a ban , but just make sure the moron who threw the coin is banned for life and prosecuted . don't let the muppets take over

S

·
0 Posts
Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association for throwing a coin back into the crowd.

Drogba hurled a coin into a section of Burnley supporters following his goal in Chelsea's shock Carling Cup defeat at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

He has until Monday evening to respond, with a hearing planned for Tuesday.

Team-mate Frank Lampard has called for Drogba to avoid a ban, insisting it would send the wrong message to fans.

It's not unusual to get things thrown at you and lots of abuse, too, and I think it's got to stop

Frank Lampard
"If Didier gets banned, are fans going to do this more to provoke people? Who knows," said Lampard.

"I hope he doesn't get banned, but it's up to the FA."

The FA has also written to both Chelsea and Burnley to request information on a number of missiles thrown at Chelsea players from the Burnley section.

An FA spokesman said: "Players should be able to play football without fearing for their personal safety.

"It is totally unacceptable for players to be put in danger by supporters throwing missiles onto the pitch.

DIDIER DROGBA AT CHELSEA
Appearances: 146
Goals: 81

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drogba in trouble:
Nov 2008: Faces police and FA investigation for throwing coin at Burnley supporters
May 2008: Red carded in Champions League final after slapping Man Utd defender Nemanja Vidic
Sep 2007: Sent off in a Premier League match against Fulham
Feb 2005: Dismissed against Barcelona at the Nou Camp
"The priority now is to work with the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved.

"The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action. That includes life bans from attending football matches."

Drogba, 30, made a single-finger gesture before throwing the coin back following his 27th-minute goal, but there have been no reports of any spectators being injured.

Referee Keith Stroud told the FA he had booked Drogba for going towards the opposition supporters to celebrate, but had not seen him throw the coin.

The Ivory Coast striker issued an immediate post-match apology but could still face a suspension, while the incident is also being investigated by the police.

Jamie Carragher was handed a three-match ban when he was red-carded for a similar offence in 2002.

Carragher was also interviewed by police but no further action was taken. However, he was fined by Liverpool and warned about his future conduct.

"There are two sides to it," said Chelsea midfielder Lampard. "Didier's come out and there's been a reaction, a human reaction I have to say, which Jamie Carragher made once.

Burnley will investigate coin incident - Coyle
"I was around Didier at the time and I don't know how many coins there were around.

"I take quite a lot of corners and it's not unusual to get things thrown at you and lots of abuse, too, and I think it's got to a stage now where it's got to stop."

"We've seen referees getting hit, too, so I think people have to take responsibility as a group."

Chelsea issued a statement in response to the FA charge, admitting Drogba's actions had been "inexcusable" and promising full co-operation with the FA and the Metropolitan Police.

"We welcome Burnley's assistance in trying to help identify the small minority of their support who spoiled a great occasion for their club," read the Chelsea statement.

"Although Didier Drogba was hit by an object, that does not excuse his subsequent actions.

"He also recognises that, has not sought to justify it that way, has sincerely expressed his regret and has apologised for the incident.

"The matter will be dealt with internally by the club after the FA and police processes are completed."
...................................................................................................

Definate 3 match ban IMO, in line with Jamie Carraghers same charge and ban.

And for those saying "if it was Rooney etc" you are talking rubbish, it's been on every news channel, every sports programme on tv, every radio news, talksport, 5 live, 606, in every daily paper and on every football forum going.

Z

·
0 Posts
Drogba Banned For Three Matches

Not long enough in my opinion. I hope the police go after him as well like they would if they caught the fan that threw it.

Chelsea's Didier Drogba has been banned for three matches for throwing a coin into a section of Burnley fans during their shock Carling Cup defeat.

Drogba threw the coin after scoring in last Wednesday's game at Stamford Bridge and admitted a Football Association charge of violent conduct.

An FA regulatory commission heard the case on Tuesday, looking at video evidence and written submissions.

The 30-year-old striker's suspension takes effect immediately.

The ban brings further disruption to a season that has seen the Ivory Coast international make just five league appearances due to a knee injury, and he will now miss games against Newcastle, Arsenal and Bolton.

Drogba is also facing a police investigation into the incident, with the Metropolitan Police confirming last Thursday that officers were looking into it.

The FA has also written to both Chelsea and Burnley to request information on a number of missiles thrown at Chelsea players from the Burnley section.

An FA spokesman said: "Players should be able to play football without fearing for their personal safety.

"It is totally unacceptable for players to be put in danger by supporters throwing missiles onto the pitch.

"The priority now is to work with the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved.

"The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action. That includes life bans from attending football matches."

Drogba made a single-finger gesture before throwing the coin back following his 27th-minute goal, but there have been no reports of any spectators being injured.

Referee Keith Stroud told the FA he had booked Drogba for going towards the opposition supporters to celebrate, but had not seen him throw the coin.

The Ivory Coast striker issued an immediate post-match apology.

Jamie Carragher was handed a three-match ban when he was red-carded for a similar offence in 2002.

Carragher was also interviewed by police but no further action was taken. However, he was fined by Liverpool and warned about his future conduct.

"There are two sides to it," said Chelsea midfielder Lampard. "Didier's come out and there's been a reaction, a human reaction I have to say, which Jamie Carragher made once.

"I was around Didier at the time and I don't know how many coins there were around.

"I take quite a lot of corners and it's not unusual to get things thrown at you and lots of abuse, too, and I think it's got to a stage now where it's got to stop.

"We've seen referees getting hit, too, so I think people have to take responsibility as a group."

Chelsea issued a statement in response to the FA charge, admitting Drogba's actions had been "inexcusable" and promising full co-operation with the FA and the Metropolitan Police.

"We welcome Burnley's assistance in trying to help identify the small minority of their support who spoiled a great occasion for their club," read the Chelsea statement.

"Although Didier Drogba was hit by an object, that does not excuse his subsequent actions.

"He also recognises that, has not sought to justify it that way, has sincerely expressed his regret and has apologised for the incident.

"The matter will be dealt with internally by the club after the FA and police processes are completed."

Link

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Unfortunate thing is...

...Anelka's keeping him out of the team ATM, so won't rreally effect Cheslea as a team IMO..

But I think that there will be more trouble for him IMO...MASSIVE fine me thinks!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
he can afford a fine...can he afford having his rep tarnished further though by being prosecuted by the plod?....Blade i know what your saying,but i still say the same thing,that moron who threw coins at him in the first place wont get caught,he or they were cowards,even burnleys own fans are saying the same thing.if they hadnt thrown coins at the big man,he wouldn't have thrown anything back would he...if that had happened at OT and ronnie or little wayne had reacted,we'd be calling for the burnley lots heads.....they aren't fans,they are just trouble makers that tried to ruin a good night,for the 6000 travelling fans who had just watched their team do some giant killing.but back on topic...footballers are only human and like our cantona,keano and little wayne,they sometimes snap....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts