Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MANCHESTER (AFP) - Manchester United coach Alex Ferguson has come under fire from the club's fans after complaining about the lack of atmosphere at home games.


Ferguson made his outspoken comments following Tuesday's 1-0 win over Birmingham at Old Trafford.

The Scot compared the atmosphere to a funeral and called on supporters to get more enthusiastically behind their team.

But Colin Henrie, a spokesman for the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association, accused Ferguson of showing a lack of understanding.

"I think he could benefit from sitting in the ground," said Hendrie, who believes Old Trafford stewards come down too hard on fans who stand at moments of excitement.

"You can't stand up to make a noise. If you try to stand up, you've got stewards who are ejecting you, they're taking your season ticket away from you.

"It's almost like a police state in a football ground now and if you do stand up, people will take your arm, put it behind the back of your neck and throw you out of the ground.

"Under those circumstances, what atmosphere does he (Ferguson) want?

"The only atmosphere we've got is one where we're a little bit frightened of losing 1,000 pounds for the season ticket we've paid for."

The noise level in the stadium as United laboured to a 1-0 win over Alex McLeish's strugglers on New Year's Day was non-existent at times, a fact gleefully pointed out by the visiting fans.

Sitting in the directors' box as he completed a two-match touchline ban, the lack of atmosphere was even more noticeable to Ferguson.

"The crowd were dead,'' he complained. "It was like a funeral it was so quiet."

Hendrie said that revealed Ferguson's comments had not gone down well with his fellow fans.

"A lot of people are pretty upset, because it shows a lack of understanding about what it's like to be a football fan in 2008,'' he said on Sky Sports News.

"`Fergie's going back to the days 10 years ago where it was absolutely fantastic, you could stand.

"But you can't do that now and the football authorities need to make up their minds whether they want to have fans sitting neatly in a row not being able to do anything or if they want an atmosphere in the football grounds again."

Hendrie said a far more tolerant approach was used at the home of United's neighbours Manchester City.

"It's actually not against the law to stand up. It's to do with the terms and conditions on the ticket," he explained.

"The interpretation of that rule is different at different grounds.

"For example, at City, they've actually got a singing area.

"Because you're allowed to stand in moments of excitement, what they say at City is, 'If you're standing up singing, you're obviously excited, so carry on singing'.

"That doesn't happen at Old Trafford."

if that's the case - that is ridiculous and really explains a lot... but i could have sworn that I saw fans standing and singing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
But Colin Henrie, a spokesman for the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association, accused Ferguson of showing a lack of understanding.

"I think he could benefit from sitting in the ground," said Hendrie, who believes Old Trafford stewards come down too hard on fans who stand at moments of excitement.

"You can't stand up to make a noise. If you try to stand up, you've got stewards who are ejecting you, they're taking your season ticket away from you.

"It's almost like a police state in a football ground now and if you do stand up, people will take your arm, put it behind the back of your neck and throw you out of the ground.

"Under those circumstances, what atmosphere does he (Ferguson) want?
I have been to OT twice, most recently last february versus Middlesborough and didn't experience any of what this guy is saying.

I was standing up whenever United had an attack along with the other thousands of fans around me and no stewards intervened or anything like what he is saying.

Have new stadium rules been introduced since then because of the Roma match or some other reason or does this just happen in some sections of the stadium??????



If this is true it is absolutely disgraceful, you can't tell fans to sit down when Ronaldo is in on goal or Rooney or whoever ffs....This is a joke and should be abolished immediately.

All the United fans together standing up are surely not going to cause any harm ffs........

I know that in any stadium I've ever attended I have always stoood up and cheered and gone hoarse...!!!

I can't actually believe what I've just read and that I have not heard about it earlier.

If a steward came up to me and told me to sit down for jumping up if we hit the post or something I'd tell him where and so would any other true fan. :)

It is a natural reaction to jump so when you are excited or your heart is racing.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
It's not like that Keano.

The stewards don't mind people jumping out of their seats when there is a chance and obviously if everyone stands up there is not much they can do apart from ask the stadium announcer to tell everyone to sit down.

It's the people who do not sit back down after a chance so block other people's view or stand up and chant throughout the game. Imo, people who want to stand and chant throughout the game should be able to do so but there should be a designated area of the stadium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
reddwarf said:
It's not like that Keano.

The stewards don't mind people jumping out of their seats when there is a chance and obviously if everyone stands up there is not much they can do apart from ask the stadium announcer to tell everyone to sit down.

It's the people who do not sit back down after a chance so block other people's view or stand up and chant throughout the game. Imo, people who want to stand and chant throughout the game should be able to do so but there should be a designated area of the stadium.
Alright, I thought it meant no standing, full stop, except for goals..........;)

Yeah if you're standing for the whole game blocking people's view, that is unfair and not right.

A singing section for fans who want to stand for the whole game would be great and very popular also I believe. :)
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never in my entire life seen a person who's complaining about other one blocking his view on a football match...that's why the rows are divided by friggin steps. it0s not like they're in the same altitude. or a guy in front of you must be like 30 cm's bigger than Crouch... that is a stupid rule... it is only in England as far as i know
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
I have never in my entire life seen a person who's complaining about other one blocking his view on a football match...that's why the rows are divided by friggin steps. it0s not like they're in the same altitude. or a guy in front of you must be like 30 cm's bigger than Crouch... that is a stupid rule... it is only in England as far as i know
The only time I've been asked to sit down was by the parent of some young kids sat behind me because they couldn't see.

I've never been asked to sit down by a steward but I have heard stadium announcements reminding people to not stand up throughout the game for 'safety reasons'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Fergie Iz Right The Atmosphere At Old Trafford Was Shite.

Man Utd Fans Xpect To Pay And Be Entertained And Not Encourage The Team On.

But At Are Away Games That I Sometimes Go To The Fans Are Absolutelyincredible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
fergie has no right to complain , i was there most people had a hang over from new years eve , and to top it off united were pure shite on the day and nobody could be bothered .
as a season ticket holder and one of the old school i have to say most stadiums these days are dead , old trafford is great when we play the scousers etc but in the other matches like the brummies the fans are going through the motions just like fergies weakened teams .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Red Devil said:
Ferige was absolutely right, in this instance. OT was like a graveyard.
Usually the crowd reflect the on pitch performance , which they did .
its the quietest ive seen the stretford end all season , he shouldnt shoulder the blame on the supporters .
he wasnt exactly blaming himself for the defeat against west ham , because the fans were superb, it was his team selection
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
I am inclined to agree with stretty.
The fans are the people who are out working 9-5 and longer every day of the week throughout the year and should not be blamed for being 'quiet' on New Years day after being out celebrating and drinking heavily the night before.
In fact it is the players that Fergie should be criticisng, if he stilll has the guts.
They are living the life, living in mansions, sitting idol for days on end after training and playing matches at most 2 a week.
Perhaps Fergie should stop criticising the usually great noise made at OT and start criticising the players and their attitude.
Although as I'm usually seated in the family stand when I get to go once a year to OT, at times the lack of atmosphere is frightening and sad.
Every stand in the stadium should be like the Stretford End........;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
this winds me up
they raise ticket prices force out the fans who will sing because they cant afford it
then complain when theres no singing coz there are bisness men there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
it was a bad atmosphere
it usually is tbh
unless like the team are on fire
but i never knew stewards came down that harsh :O :O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Anyway on top of the atmosphere he came out and defended the glazers , its okay for saf, hes paid very handsomely and doesnt need to work , he is one of the highest paid managers in the world.
but for people like me the glazers are not good , they put my ticket up 13% and this is the second year i have been on compulsory purchase for all home cup matches.
i just pray we go all the way to wembley without a home draw (we have done it before ) and it will serve the greedy b######s right.
to me the glazers have been shite , to saf couldnt be better

back to the atmosphere check this out .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97Dpp78qrE

thats back to the good old k stand days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
they shouldn't be...don't know what's happening...but it's gotta end soon.....home fans are a key factor in winning matches....and United need fans like air....so....stop arguing, those who are
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
This isn't just a problem for United. I've chatted with Liverpool fans online who have complained about the atmosphere at Anfield on a couple of occasions this season. The Emirates has been nicknamed 'The Library' and Stamford Bridge is often quiet.

Rising ticket prices are a problem up and down the country. Is there now a growing difference between a fan and a supporter? United have plenty of fans but how many actually support the team?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
836 Posts
I watched Paddy Crerand's show on MUTV and he's been exclaiming to the fans that SAF didn't not complain about the fans, he just said that it was too quiet, and Paddy said there's a different slant on what the manager said to the cameras and what the papers have been saying. SAF, all he said was that the stadium was too quiet, he hasn't complained about anything, this is just your typical tabloids blowing things out of proportion. It has been percieved incorrectly by the press.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
stretty said:
Anyway on top of the atmosphere he came out and defended the glazers , its okay for saf, hes paid very handsomely and doesnt need to work , he is one of the highest paid managers in the world.
but for people like me the glazers are not good , they put my ticket up 13% and this is the second year i have been on compulsory purchase for all home cup matches.
i just pray we go all the way to wembley without a home draw (we have done it before ) and it will serve the greedy b######s right.
to me the glazers have been shite , to saf couldnt be better

back to the atmosphere check this out ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97Dpp78qrE

thats back to the good old k stand days
I respect what you are saying and as I am based in Ireland who doesnt get over regularly who am I to argue. However as a devoted fan if I had the money or lived near Manchester I would not miss a game by hook or by crook.

as regards the glazers ok they have raised ticket prices however correct if I'm wrong the average proce is still only £ 35 which is far less than what the London clubs charge. Ok they may earn more in the capital however that still doesnt make up the diffference. Besides the product is second to none in terms of entertainment on show with only Arsenal playing as much scintillating football . The glazers have also brought some stability in terms of the transfer dealings and have been fully supportive to Fergie's requests in contrast to the plc days and indeed to the goings on at Anfield

Imo Fergie is spot on and these FC united followers are just spoiled bitter turncoats who should know better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,167 Posts
Red Devil said:
Ferige was absolutely right, in this instance. OT was like a graveyard.
Smack on.

I've seen stewards pull people out of the stands before at OT. Happened to a guy right next to me once. He was dragged out for a "telling-off" and a final warning.

Whilst he was out Nani scored and he bloke started crying! Was well funny seeing him cry but i kinda felt sorry for him as well. Tickets are expensive.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top