Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably isnt the best timed thread considering his below par performance last night,
but his achievement needs to be recognised. 300 games for Manchester United
is unbelieveable for any player. He is a total pro, never moans or gives out.
Just does the business when he is called upon. His versatility makes him unique
and I believe he is a valuable member of our great squad.

'When Johnnie goes running down the wing O'Shea, O'Shea'

One of his finer moments:;)

I like O'Shea! What says you all?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's a little bit of info on our Johnnie from the official MUFC seb site .

22. John O'Shea
Birthdate: 30 Apr 1981
Birthplace: Waterford, Ireland
Position: Defender/Midfielder
Appearances: 300
Goals: 12
Joined United: 03 Aug 1998
United Debut: 13 Oct 1999 v Aston Villa (A)
International Rep of Ireland

Arguably United’s most versatile player, John O'Shea has played everywhere during his time at Old Trafford. And the triumphant 2007/08 season proved no different.

During the campaign, O'shea played at right-back, left-back, centre-half, central midfield and as a makeshift striker (against Reading on the opening day of the seaston). But wherever he plays, United’s no.22 is happy to contribute to the team.

What’s more, the Irishman signed a contract in November 2007 that will keep him at the club until 2012. He said of his new deal: “It has never crossed my mind to leave.
Luckily the club wanted me to stay and the contract was sorted out quickly.”

O'Shea was outstanding in the 4-0 drubbing of Wigan and kept Francesco Totti in check in the 1-0 group stage victory over AS Roma at Old Trafford in the Champions League.

A shining example of selflessness and professionalism, John O’Shea has been ever-willing in his service for United, ever since his first full season in 2002/03 when he was was a revelation at left-back. He raced up and down the wing, effortlessly picking the pockets of opponents who ran at him and cheekily nutmegging those who tried to stophim (remember Luis Figo?).

When United bought Gaby Heinze in the summer of 2004, O'Shea had to look to other positions for regular action. He was always a footballing defender, blessed with beautiful balance, crisp passing and formidable upper-body strength, which enabled him to slip effortlessly into midfield as well as anywhere across the back four.

In 2004/05 he played in all those positions, and in the following season he began to establish himself in the holding role in midfield – forming an unlikely but extremely effective partnership with Ryan Giggs that was the basis of United’slate-season surge. The Irish international continued where he'd left off at the start of the 2006/07 campaign, but soon had his chances limited by the burgeoning midfield partnership between Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick.

He still went on to make 49 appearances (including a cameo between the posts at White Hart Lane) and chipped in with five goals, the most memorable of which came at Anfield in March 2007. Pepe Reina could only parry Cristiano Ronaldo's injury-time free kick and the ball fell to substitute O'Shea, who coolly swept it home in front of the Kop to the delight of United fans everywhere.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Fair play to him...great squad player and as said, loyalty is to a perfect tee!

Isn't he the only United player to have played officially in EVERY position or
something like that? :p lol...

I hope we see him spend his career at United because he's a great asset for a
manager to have on the bench.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
It's not too hard to be loyal if you're being paid mega bucks by a team winning trophies each year.

Speaking of loyalty, when was the last time some other club came in for O'shea and he said " I'm not joining you cause i love Manchester United"?

Unlike Fletcher, he hasn't improved a bit and adds nothing to the team. Better to be good at something than being bad at everything, sorry John.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Anyways making 300 appearance for Manchester United is no small deed.

Congrats John O'shea. Here's a video dedicated to O'shea. I think he'll like this one :p

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thats a bit harsh mate . Its a team game not about individuals only . Ole never came out and said he loved United everytime a club came knocking . But we all know that he loved the club . You dont stay at a club for ten years if you dont have very strong feelings for it and the fans .

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
O.K it was a bit harsh questioning his loyalty. But do you want to keep a player only because he is loyal to the club? Shouldn't a player be judged by his on field display?

For me O'shea isn't good enough to play for the team. Not even good enough to be a substitute.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Congrats Johnny boy.
Since he's not as flashy as some 120k players he wont get the same headlines but without guys like O'Shea United wouldnt be where we are today. So its been a great fun to read how many here who dont think he is United material. It'll be fun to read in the future the same comments and I will paste and copy this posting when Jazz post Johnny 400 for United-posting.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
300 games for the biggest club in world football, what an achievement.
congratulations and respect to johno
he has proven himself an invaluable asset to the squad, his versatility and loyalty are to be commended.
it has been mentioned many a time that he is "NOT UNITED QUALITY".
to say that really shows a lack of intelligence,he has made a telling contribution to every trophy winning campaign since he came into the first team.
without his versatility and unselfishness we would have been in trouble many a time over the last few seasons, how many teams have a player that can literally play anywhere on the field and not moan about it, not a week goes by without some little jumped up git moaning to the press that he is not being played in his favored position, well john o shea doesnt do it neither does the much maligned darren fletcher.
ffs some people are never pleased.

its team game you need to balance flair with dependable.
its a simple concept really.

and if he was that bad sir alex would have sold him.

300 games, it says it all .

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Decent player, never thought he was united quality, hense never having a run in the first team. Had some good moments, probably had more caps that ferdinand now? O'shea will not be remember as a great player though.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
300 games. ****ing hell.

Only seems like yesterday he was making his debut.
I remember he used to ahve a lot of potential. But that has sadly slipped away and he has got worse rather than better.

I feel, because he doesn't have a set position, he could never really focus on one area of his game to master.

Personally, if O'Shea never played another game for United again then I wouldn't be too upset, he just isn't good enough (no fault of his own).

Although, he's always there when called upon.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
He's had a few memorable moments in his career such as the winner at Anfield, the chip to make it 4-2 at Highbury and playing in goal for us. I also remember him scoring the winner against Wolves on my birthday in 2003.

He will never be more than just a squad member at United but with 300 appearances and a few good memories along the way I'd say he's been a valuable one.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i would be dead loyal too if my gaffer said i would only have to work half the time on the same pay.
I am definately not a fan so to all you o shea fans , name me a worse player who has played about the same or more games than o shea for united, thats the challenge guys

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
it amazes me that his reached this achievement. people may say for players like o'shea theres no point them being at a club like manchester united. but this proves we are not a shy club when it comes to playing our loyals.

his never in his time been a first team regular but has made it to 300 appearances....astonishing .... congrats john o john o'shea

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
O'Shea has and will never be one of our great players, or be seen as a legend. However, over the years hes been a useful player for us, and his loyalty and committment has to be welcomed.

Being honest, he has gotten worse, and if we receive a good offer for him then we probably should take it.

But thats not taking away his contribution over his 300 appearances, and he has been a good servant to the club.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts