Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would have to be mine:

To this day, every time I'm about to get in a fight, I scream some of that stuff, mostly the bit about shutting your ******* mouth about it, plus its always a blast to yell "Every week, you!"

So I ask you, noble forum users to share with the community your favorite memories of Sir Roy Maurice Keane.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nice thread Pizza. I can see where you got the idea lol ;-)

So many memories of Roy, a lot of them in this vid, which I love:

My best personal memory was when I was a steward in Lansdowne Rd.
and he was making his comeback game in Apr 04 vs Romania.
I was just so happy he was back but then I got to meet him very briefly where
he gave me a thumbs up and a wink. I was delighted.

Other memories include his goal for Ireland vs Portugal, his winner against Citeh
after we were 2-0 down, his numerous fights lol, his barnstorming tackles,
his aggression, passion and the way he played the game, his 2 goals vs Arse,
his last goal for United vs Brum, his lifting of ALL those trophies, his post match
analysis', his payback on Alfie, his autobiography, his captaining skills, especially
his tunnel incident as Pizza posted, his fearlessness no matter who he was up against.
There are many many more. My all time favourite player and that will never change. My hero, a legend!!!

Pizza- A bit I love and always notice in the first vid you posted is after 54 seconds.
Just pause it and look at Rooney's face lol. He is just going 'Uh oh' and biting his lip. Always cracks me up.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair, I wanted to make this thread a while ago I just forgot lol. You know Roy Keane is a special man, since he got me to read a book.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Well...there are so many of them...most of them good.

One recent memory was his return to OT and the standing ovations he got there..he was chewing his gum trying to look cool. But I bet even that tough guy were full of emotions walking out of the tunnel.
Roy will always be Roy!
Oh and another memory is when Cantona scored the late winner in the FA Cup final. Right after the kick off Roy shouts to Eric to mark his player. Eric looks a bit scared and I think Eric pick up his guy after that. Probably the first and last time he did that.:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
great thread,

the best match i ever seen keane play well in was the away juve in 99 when we came back 3-2. Keane new he was going to miss the final, and i can only remember one player that played his heart out for the team that day, what a performance.

He plays his heart out every game, but in the juve game i saw keane at his fullest peak.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
my Favo[highlight]u[/highlight]rite Keane moments are

1.when he slapped Shearer :D
2.when he threw the ball on Shearer head
3.every thing he had ever done :)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
A few for me...(No particular order)

'99
Obvioulsy his goal in Italy which pulled us back and started the ball rolling. That
glancing header got us to the final for me and its a footballing injustice that the
legend never played in a Champions League final.

Roy Vs. Patrick
Every clash with Arsenal so really. Loved the rivalry between the two. Two hugely
confident players both as hard as nails, going at one another. Classic!

Liverpool
I've no idea why, but I always remember when Roy struck the bar at Anfield from
about 35/40 yards! It was the game where Rooney beat Dudek and ppuffed his
cheeks out at the Scousers. Strange memor, yes, but it just sticks for some reason

Shearer
Need I explain. He still hates him to this day probably! Imagine Shearer took over
the Toon, what a Tyne-Weir (sp) derby that would be!

Haaland
Its probably an incredibly wrong thing to say, but I loved it! The passion of a
human was summed up in two seconds! THAT "assult" was pre-meditated. He
knew he would get his reenge and boy did I respect that! Never **** with
Keano! The way he just kept the same face after seeing the red, and casualy
walking off after giving his piece to the injured Haaland. Oh, also the crowd.
Despite everyone seeing the obvious red card, they were booing when he got it!
lol Even as he got the red, "KEANO! THERES ONLY ONE KEANO!..." rung around OT

Fergie
The relationship with Fergie was brilliant. I'll never forget the hug the two had
after winning the league in '99, and Fergie in his specs! lol Basically, Roy was
Jesus, and Fergie was God. Roy was put on the pitch to emulate Fergusons
attitude

Saipan
What a story. It ripped houses all over Ireland apart! The bottle he had to stick it
up to Mick was incredible! His book summed so much up. Devasted to see him
leave the WC, but respect his move

Champions League Trophy
That bit at the end of the Nou Camp celebrations, where the team lined up and
he and Scholsey both lifted it together. Great moment.

Double Moment
When he netted twice at Highbury and slienced all the home fans! The a la
Cantona stance, staring at the fans striking fear into them! lol

I'm The Boss
Who could forget the moment when he and the "boy-o's" ran the ref off the pitch!
From the centre, he led the charges, effing and blinding at the ref, veins bursting
every second, saliva spraying out at every curse, and the ref just backing away,
backing away over to the sideline. I loved that

Thats just a few....but its amazing the career he had. A treu United legend, and
my favourite United player ever!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have to say aside from the way he made Vieira look like an idiot my favourite Keano moment has to be his response to Haaland in the City game:

'Take that you ****'

Reminds me of an interview not too long ago with Paddy Crerand on MUTV in relation to Paddy's autobiography entitled 'Never Turn The Other Cheek'. Paddy says his style of football was given to him by his upbringing in Glasgow where he was taught never to let someone get the better of you.

Obviously Roy had the same upbringing in Cork.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Don't mean to get too cheesy here, but the greatest memory in connection to Roy Keane is actually the most meaningful conversation I've ever had in with my estranged uncle who is also my godfather.

Long story short, the whole family has cast him out and ostracized him, so I haven't spoken to him for yonks.

He's a Man United supporter, so I called him up after the CL victory to wish a belated birthday and talk footie. We spent over an hour on the phone talking tactics and Rooney not fulfilling his potential, but we also spent a lot tlaking about Roy Keane and that he's still sorely missed.

He has not been replaced and in the CL final, nobody grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck like Roy would have.

My uncle knows and appreciates Roy Keane, as if he were an Irishman, but he's actually a Singaporean Chinese. :) At one point he said: "Roy Keane was not only UNited's captain, he was my captain".

I thought it was cheesy, but understood where my uncle was coming from.
Uncompromising on and off the pitch, no matter what the rest of the world thinks. Everyone can sod-off anyway. ;)

The way Roy and Ruud left was wrong - even, if it was time for a new chapter.
He deserved better.

Nobody fought harder in a red shirt under Sir Alex Ferguson than Roy Keane and Bryan Robson.

Nobody could boss a match like Roy Keane could. Even Vieira stood in his shadow.

Sometimes, his fierce competive fightin spirit overshadowed his technical ability, but that is not fair, because Roy could pass that ball just as good as the best of em and hardly ever put a foot wrong.

My personal favourite moment was in the semi finals of the CL in 1999.
2-0 down at Del Alpi, i thought it was over and could just pray for a miracle.

Roy KEane led his troops like a man posessed and my prayers were answered.

That he did not get the chance to play in Barcelona is perhaps one of the biggest travesties of the modern game.

In the champions league final, the biggest game in all of club football, no player should be banned because of bookings in prior games.

That's just one of many Roy Keane moments and I still miss him. A LOT.

·
Registered
601 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Don't mean to get too cheesy here, but the greatest memory in connection to Roy Keane is actually the most meaningful conversation I've ever had in with my estranged uncle who is also my godfather.

Long story short, the whole family has cast him out and ostracized him, so I haven't spoken to him for yonks.

He's a Man United supporter, so I called him up after the CL victory to wish a belated birthday and talk footie. We spent over an hour on the phone talking tactics and Rooney not fulfilling his potential, but we also spent a lot tlaking about Roy Keane and that he's still sorely missed.

He has not been replaced and in the CL final, nobody grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck like Roy would have.

My uncle knows and appreciates Roy Keane, as if he were an Irishman, but he's actually a Singaporean Chinese. :) At one point he said: "Roy Keane was not only UNited's captain, he was my captain".

I thought it was cheesy, but understood where my uncle was coming from.
Uncompromising on and off the pitch, no matter what the rest of the world thinks. Everyone can sod-off anyway. ;)

The way Roy and Ruud left was wrong - even, if it was time for a new chapter.
He deserved better.

Nobody fought harder in a red shirt under Sir Alex Ferguson than Roy Keane and Bryan Robson.

Nobody could boss a match like Roy Keane could. Even Vieira stood in his shadow.

Sometimes, his fierce competive fightin spirit overshadowed his technical ability, but that is not fair, because Roy could pass that ball just as good as the best of em and hardly ever put a foot wrong.

My personal favourite moment was in the semi finals of the CL in 1999.
2-0 down at Del Alpi, i thought it was over and could just pray for a miracle.

Roy KEane led his troops like a man posessed and my prayers were answered.

That he did not get the chance to play in Barcelona is perhaps one of the biggest travesties of the modern game.

In the champions league final, the biggest game in all of club football, no player should be banned because of bookings in prior games.

That's just one of many Roy Keane moments and I still miss him. A LOT.
that is my memory as well, he really played at the peak of his game that day. I think that day we won the cl really. No disrespect to the team that came back and played like a roy keane performance in the final. But i think keane made the rest of the players have that "never say die attitude" against juve and the players really showed that in the final.

******* nutter

we just dont have that driving player in midfield, i can only think of one and thats hargreaves thats any closer to keane. i just wished he would be free of injuries

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The Champions League semi-final against Juventus in 99 stands out. One of the best ever performances from a United captain. I remember the commentator saying that United needed a minor miracle after going 2-0 down. So thank God for Roy Keane!!! He was immense. Obviously his goal got us back in the game but to perform the way he did after picking up the booking to rule him out of the final - it's like he thought 'this is my final now' and played his heart out for the team.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got a few favourite memories of Keano that have already been mentioned here like against Juve in '99, against Vieira in the tunnel, and when he won us the game by scoring two at Highbury.

I have a few other good memories from later on in his United career as well. I remember in the Charity Shiled in the 2003/2004 season, Keano sprinted back and put in a firm but fair slide tackle on Vieira as if to say 'I'm still the man'. He did a similar thing to Gerrard the next season at Anfield, in the game as mentioned before when he hit the bar from around 30 yards.

But my personal favourite memory of Keano will probably not be known by anyone on here, or infact by many United fans.

In late July 2005, United were abroad playing the pre-season tour but Keano had not gone due to an injury he picked up. He was fit though to travel to Walsall to play in what effectively was a reserves side. I went along to the game with a poster I had of Keane lifting the FA Cup in 2004.

After the game Roy came out but did not just rush onto the coach. He stopped and signed for the fans. But I noticed that he didn't sign for just anyone, he was signing for the people he thought were really United fans. He made sure that people like me, who were in United shirts and had bought something special along to get signed, got seen to ahead of those who just wanted the match ticket or programme signed and were probably just Walsall fans or locals hanging around.

I thought that was special because it was like he wanted to look after our fans and of course I was delighted to have a Keano autograph which is proudly sat in my bedroom :D.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
jd_united said:
In late July 2005, United were abroad playing the pre-season tour but Keano had not gone due to an injury he picked up. He was fit though to travel to Walsall to play in what effectively was a reserves side. I went along to the game with a poster I had of Keane lifting the FA Cup in 2004.

After the game Roy came out but did not just rush onto the coach. He stopped and signed for the fans. But I noticed that he didn't sign for just anyone, he was signing for the people he thought were really United fans. He made sure that people like me, who were in United shirts and had bought something special along to get signed, got seen to ahead of those who just wanted the match ticket or programme signed and were probably just Walsall fans or locals hanging around.

I thought that was special because it was like he wanted to look after our fans and of course I was delighted to have a Keano autograph which is proudly sat in my bedroom :D.

That's a great memory jd!

I'm sure i would that poster would be proudly displayed in my house as well.
It was great of Roy to look after United fans like that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
RedForceRising said:
That's a great memory jd!

I'm sure i would that poster would be proudly displayed in my house as well.
It was great of Roy to look after United fans like that.
Thanks :) and it was good to see Keano looking after our fans.

It's not the best quality because of the camera on my old phone :rolleyes: but I've got a picture of the autograph.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/jd_mufc/keano.jpg

I promise in real life it looks a lot better and clearer :D.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts