Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got a few favourite memories of Keano that have already been mentioned here like against Juve in '99, against Vieira in the tunnel, and when he won us the game by scoring two at Highbury.

I have a few other good memories from later on in his United career as well. I remember in the Charity Shiled in the 2003/2004 season, Keano sprinted back and put in a firm but fair slide tackle on Vieira as if to say 'I'm still the man'. He did a similar thing to Gerrard the next season at Anfield, in the game as mentioned before when he hit the bar from around 30 yards.

But my personal favourite memory of Keano will probably not be known by anyone on here, or infact by many United fans.

In late July 2005, United were abroad playing the pre-season tour but Keano had not gone due to an injury he picked up. He was fit though to travel to Walsall to play in what effectively was a reserves side. I went along to the game with a poster I had of Keane lifting the FA Cup in 2004.

After the game Roy came out but did not just rush onto the coach. He stopped and signed for the fans. But I noticed that he didn't sign for just anyone, he was signing for the people he thought were really United fans. He made sure that people like me, who were in United shirts and had bought something special along to get signed, got seen to ahead of those who just wanted the match ticket or programme signed and were probably just Walsall fans or locals hanging around.

I thought that was special because it was like he wanted to look after our fans and of course I was delighted to have a Keano autograph which is proudly sat in my bedroom :D.

·
Registered
590 Posts
RedForceRising said:
That's a great memory jd!

I'm sure i would that poster would be proudly displayed in my house as well.
It was great of Roy to look after United fans like that.
Thanks :) and it was good to see Keano looking after our fans.

It's not the best quality because of the camera on my old phone :rolleyes: but I've got a picture of the autograph.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/jd_mufc/keano.jpg

I promise in real life it looks a lot better and clearer :D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts