Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
great thread,

the best match i ever seen keane play well in was the away juve in 99 when we came back 3-2. Keane new he was going to miss the final, and i can only remember one player that played his heart out for the team that day, what a performance.

He plays his heart out every game, but in the juve game i saw keane at his fullest peak.

·
Registered
601 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Don't mean to get too cheesy here, but the greatest memory in connection to Roy Keane is actually the most meaningful conversation I've ever had in with my estranged uncle who is also my godfather.

Long story short, the whole family has cast him out and ostracized him, so I haven't spoken to him for yonks.

He's a Man United supporter, so I called him up after the CL victory to wish a belated birthday and talk footie. We spent over an hour on the phone talking tactics and Rooney not fulfilling his potential, but we also spent a lot tlaking about Roy Keane and that he's still sorely missed.

He has not been replaced and in the CL final, nobody grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck like Roy would have.

My uncle knows and appreciates Roy Keane, as if he were an Irishman, but he's actually a Singaporean Chinese. :) At one point he said: "Roy Keane was not only UNited's captain, he was my captain".

I thought it was cheesy, but understood where my uncle was coming from.
Uncompromising on and off the pitch, no matter what the rest of the world thinks. Everyone can sod-off anyway. ;)

The way Roy and Ruud left was wrong - even, if it was time for a new chapter.
He deserved better.

Nobody fought harder in a red shirt under Sir Alex Ferguson than Roy Keane and Bryan Robson.

Nobody could boss a match like Roy Keane could. Even Vieira stood in his shadow.

Sometimes, his fierce competive fightin spirit overshadowed his technical ability, but that is not fair, because Roy could pass that ball just as good as the best of em and hardly ever put a foot wrong.

My personal favourite moment was in the semi finals of the CL in 1999.
2-0 down at Del Alpi, i thought it was over and could just pray for a miracle.

Roy KEane led his troops like a man posessed and my prayers were answered.

That he did not get the chance to play in Barcelona is perhaps one of the biggest travesties of the modern game.

In the champions league final, the biggest game in all of club football, no player should be banned because of bookings in prior games.

That's just one of many Roy Keane moments and I still miss him. A LOT.
that is my memory as well, he really played at the peak of his game that day. I think that day we won the cl really. No disrespect to the team that came back and played like a roy keane performance in the final. But i think keane made the rest of the players have that "never say die attitude" against juve and the players really showed that in the final.

******* nutter

we just dont have that driving player in midfield, i can only think of one and thats hargreaves thats any closer to keane. i just wished he would be free of injuries

1 - 2 of 2 Posts