Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=628683

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has explained that he re-jigged his defence for the game against Bolton Wanderers last night in part because he may have to do without Rio Ferdinand for the visit of Liverpool on Sunday.

Sir Alex Ferguson reshuffled the Manchester United defence for the 2-0 win over Bolton on Wednesday as a precautionary experiment in case centre-half Rio Ferdinand misses Sunday's titanic clash at home to Liverpool.

England defender Ferdinand is carrying a slight back injury ahead of the showdown with arch-rivals Liverpool, who will arrive at Old Trafford on the back of seven straight wins, with confidence sky-high.

Ferguson chose to rest Patrice Evra and Wes Brown against Bolton, fielding a defensive back-line comprising Owen Hargreaves, Nemanja Vidic, Gerard Pique and John O'Shea.

The manager told MUTV afterwards: "We made a lot of changes and I think that was necessary because, with Rio Ferdinand doubtful for Sunday, we had to find out about young Gerard Pique.

"We've got great confidence in the lad and he's come through very well. That was important. We also wanted to rest Wes Brown in case Rio doesn't make it, then we've got the alternative of playing Wes at centre-back – that's a decision we'll have to make.

"We tried Owen Hargreaves at right-back, and we can play John O'Shea there on Sunday and bring Patrice Evra in. It's important to do these things tonight, simply because of Rio's injury."

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Whats the story with Rio

Is he definitely going to miss the game against the 'pool scum?

Pique aint ready for the Premiership and Fergie needs to take the blame for that! I know its next to near impossible to break the Rio Vidic partnership but we're in serious trouble now! and it could be De Ja Vous from last season when it all went pair shaped when we lost rio and vidic!

I didn see the other rio thread sorry

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's alright. I think the mods here will merge this thread with another one.
Anyway, latest news is that Nemanja Vidic is doubtful too for the crunch showdown against the BinDippers. If worse come to worse, Fergie has said that he may hve to field a central defensive partnership combo of Wes Brown & Gerard Pique. I don't think that's gonna stop a Fernando Torres who's in a red-hot, sizzling form....:(

·
Registered
216 Posts
torres only scores against the smaller sides, other than that, he has been struggling with the bigger sides in england where he is marked more carefully

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
spwaff said:
torres only scores against the smaller sides, other than that, he has been struggling with the bigger sides in england where he is marked more carefully
He scored a beauty against Chelsea......

It would be bad news if Rio couldnt make the Pool game.
he has been a monster for us this season, but Im hoping
its just mind games. Rio wouldnt miss this for the world.

·
Registered
21 Posts
he'l play rio is a hardman..... he would neva want 2 miss da liverpool game.... he needs 2 play 2 kep torres quiet

CUM ON UNITED!!!!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
as good as pique could be. he aint good enough now to face torres.

looking forward to anderson shutting gerrard up. will be one battle to look out for in the centre

·
Registered
263 Posts
If Rio dont play i dont see why Hargreaves cant partner Vidic in the back. Carrick can play in cm along wiv anderson and Hargreaves can go up if needed.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
if he realy is gonna be out of the squad for the game...it's realy bad for us..but who knows....maybe young Pique will make the game of his life..

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
spwaff said:
how on earth is fergie to blame for the injury
DID I SAY FERGIE WAS TO BLAME FOR HIS INJURY??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

fergie is to be blamed for not having Pique ready for big games! We wont win the champions league if Rio and or Vidic are injured!

·
Registered
216 Posts
and why should he be blamed for putting out his best defensive pairing? do you want people to be played ouit of token or gratitude like Giggs and Scholes who slow down the game and always pass the ball back?

dude, be serious.

plus this is the big league, no one prepares you, you take your opportunity when it comes and prove yourself worthy.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Rio scores crucial goals against the scousers as well. Will be a blow if he doesn't make it, but no point risking him back when we have the UCL to think about.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Missing Rio is a big blow, but missing Rio and Vidic could be a killer blow. Against the likes of Torres and Gerrard we need the coolness and ability if Rio, and the tough tackling no nonsence style of Vida.

For us to be missing both of them would be terrible, and give Liverpool a real boost in confidence.

I think between them, Rio and Vida could sort out Torres and Gerrard but without them, I'm not sure if I have the same confidence in Pique and Brown

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If there is no Rio we should play:

Evra---Vidic---Pique---Brown

OR

Evra---Vidic---Brown---O'Shea

I just hope we have Rio becuase imo he is the best cb atm and he can keep Torres quiet!

Jazz 16 said:
He scored a beauty against Chelsea......

It would be bad news if Rio couldnt make the Pool game.
he has been a monster for us this season, but Im hoping
its just mind games. Rio wouldnt miss this for the world.

Yes he did score a 'beauty' BUT that was vs a crap Chelsea defence...I mean Ben Haim? So not world class..

If you put a world class defence infront of Torres he seems to disappear like he did at Anfield vs Man United

man.utd.singh said:
If Rio dont play i dont see why Hargreaves cant partner Vidic in the back. Carrick can play in cm along wiv anderson and Hargreaves can go up if needed.

hahah NO! Hargo cb? Yeah with Torres on form that is a bad idea...yes he is capable of playing there and would be OK but not in a big clash like that. I would rather risk Pique or move Wesley into CB and put O'shea on rb or even O'shea can play CB

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
antdevil78 said:
as good as pique could be. he aint good enough now to face torres.

looking forward to anderson shutting gerrard up. will be one battle to look out for in the centre
Same here. Anderson didn't give Gerrard a look in at Anfield and it will be great to see if he can do the same on Sunday. One of the reasons why Torres has been doing well is that Gerrard has been playing behind him. If we could stifle Gerrard, we are already hindering Torres a bit.

Gerard Pique isn't good enough yet, because he hasn't been given enough chances and he is a player who should be getting chances.

If Rio doesn't make it, the back four for Snday will be: Hargreaves, Brown, Vidic, Evra

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If there's one thing that we should know, it's to play O'Shea whenever we play Liverpool. Always. Therefore I have:

--------------------VDS-----------------
O'Shea-----Brown-----Vidic-----Evra
Ronaldo---Anderson--Hargo---Giggs
-------------Rooney----Tevez---------

I figure if we have Hargo in the middle behind Anderson, then he should be able to shut down Gerrard. Without Gerrard, Torres can't do anything. Anderson will of course come back and help Hargo if he needs it, but it will allow Anderson to attack more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts