Manchester United Talk banner

Ferdinand wants new deal. But gets Black Eye !

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  versa 
G
#1 ·
Manchester United defender
Rio Ferdinand has signalled
his intent to spend the rest of
his playing career at Old Trafford.

Ferdinand told BBC Radio Leeds:
"I have two more years on my contract,
I'd like to finish my career at United.

"The club have made an approach to my agent but there's so many games it's difficult to get around the table."

The 29-year-old added: "By the end of the season, if not sooner, it should be done and dusted."

Ferdinand revealed his plans for the future speaking to his former Leeds United coach Eddie Gray on BBC Radio Leeds.

He said: "I'm enjoying my life, football is that much sweeter when you're winning."

Ferdinand was handed the England captaincy in the 1-0 friendly defeat to France and it is an honour he is eager to take on again.

"Being given the duty the other day was a real honour for me, I'd love to be the captain of England, who wouldn't?

"It's not going to be the be all and end all, it won't make or break my career or make me lose sleep at night.

"I'm still going to have the same thoughts and apply myself the same way regardless of who is being picked as captain.

"I want to win things and we need eleven captains out there not just the one."

......................................................................................

All eyes were on Rio Ferdinand and his huge shiner today.

The Man Utd star's black eye was the big talking point as he and his team-mates flew out of Manchester airport for their Champions League clash with Roma tomorrow night.

And mystery surrounds how he got it, with his fellow players insisting they knew nothing about it until this morning.

Something you want to tell us, Rio?

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m3/mar2008/9/7/048345DF-073F-2BB5-DB22D091F3157B4F.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...r-rio-ferdinand-s-huge-shiner-89520-20369075/

See less See more
#2 ·
Rio Set To Ink New United Deal

Manchester United centre0back Rio Ferdinand hopes that the Barclays English Premier League defending champions and reigning leaders hand him a new contractual deal before the end of the season...

Fresh from helping resurgent Manchester United to the top of the Premier League and captaining England against France, Rio Ferdinand expects a new contract.
Two of the stopper's colleagues, Wes Brown and Patrice Evra, continue to dither over new contract offers, but Ferdinand is keen to pledge his allegiance to Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils.

"I have two years left on my contract," he told BBC Radio Leeds. "I'd like to finish my career at United.

"The club have made an approach to my agent but there's so many games it's difficult to get around the table.

"By the end of the season, if not sooner, it should be done and dusted."

A British record £30 million signing from Leeds United in 2002, experienced Ferdinand also has his sights set on retaining the England armband, but won't "lose sleep" if Fabio Capello turns to one of his international teammates.

"I'd love to be the captain of England," he reiterated. "Who wouldn't?

"[But] It's not going to be the be all and end all. It won't make or break my career or make me lose sleep at night."

#4 ·
Great news. Rio makes such a difference to our defence and it is vital we sign him. I think he can play in our defence for about another 4 years comfortably, which would take him to the age of 33.

I see no reason why Rio wouldn't want to carry on at United. He's playing week in week out, winning games and looks like he's enjoying his football. Not to mention the moneys good :rolleyes:

I can also see Rio taking over the captaincy permenantly over the next few years, when Giggsy and Gary Nev sadly call it a day.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing Rio playing for United for the years to come :)

#7 ·
Rio Keeps Team-Mates In The Dark About His 'Mystery' Black Eye

From The DailyMail

Mystery surrounds Manchester United defensive ace Rio Ferdinand who is sporting a painful looking black eye. He was quizzed about the injury yesterday by team-mate John O'Shea.

The Irish international was overheard asking Ferdinand what had happened as the pair prepared to board a flight to Rome, where United are playing in the Uefa Champions League Quarter-Final tie.

But the red-faced 29-year-old defender refused to say anything in case he was overheard.

Ferdinand has kept a low profile since he was appointed England captain for last week's friendly against France.

The father-of-one enjoyed a takeaway with girlfriend Rebecca Ellison after United's four-nil victory over Aston Villa.

Last week it was revealed the player had splashed out £990,000 on a propertty on the Turks and Caicos islands in the Caribbean.

Ferdinand's father comes from St Lucia and he spoken of his desire to invest in the West Indies.

He already owns homes in Morocco, Croatia and Cheshire and a number of flats he rents out in London

#8 ·
Jazz 16 said:
I can see Rio playing a lot longer than 4 years at United.
he has the game, reading, speed and physique to carry on for many years.
He is so quick now that even if he loses a yard of pace in his mid 30's
he will still be an awesome player.
When you look at some of the geriatrics (how could I possibly use that word to describe a thirty-something?) that milan have played in their back 4 through recent successes - that is, until this year :D - no reason rio cant play for 8-9 more seasons.

Beautiful...:D :D

#11 ·
I am hopeful he will sign. He knows he is not getting much younger and has already indicated his preference to end his career here.

On a lighter note and while we await the outcome with abated breath (hopefully not too long this time), the usual suspects for his black eye could be as follows:

1. John Terry for losing his captaincy.
2. Rebecca Ellison for poor performance of domestic duties.
3. Flying boot of Fergie as he was reprimanding another.
4. A row over somebody he has no business with.
5. Self-inflicted injury while doing house maintenance.

#12 ·
Rio a Red for life

Rio Ferdinand says he hopes to have signed a new contract with United by the end of the season after stating his desire to stay with the Reds for life.

The defender, who joined in July 2002, has two more years left to run on his current deal and insists he is keen to stay put for the remainder of his career.

"I have two more years on my contract and I'd like to finish my career at United," revealed the 29-year-old in an interview with BBC Radio Leeds.

"The club have made an approach to my agent but there's so many games it's difficult to get around the table.

"By the end of the season, if not sooner, it should be done and dusted."

The centre-back also reflected on his recent outing as England captain during last week's friendly in France.

"Being given the duty was a real honour for me, I'd love to be the captain of England, who wouldn't?" he said.

"It's not going to be the be all and end all, it won't make or break my career or make me lose sleep at night.

"I'm still going to have the same thoughts and apply myself the same way regardless of who is being picked as captain. I want to win things and we need eleven captains out there not just the one."
link ... http://www.manutd.com//default.sps?...FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=545955

#18 ·
United close to Ferdinand contract deal, Ferguson says

Black eye no more....

Source: reuters.co.uk

MANCHESTER, England, April 4 (Reuters) - Manchester United are close to securing a new long-term contract for defender Rio Ferdinand at Old Trafford, manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday.

Ferdinand, 29, has two years left to run on his contract with the Premier League champions but has opened talks on a new deal.

"We have been negotiating for a few weeks now and I don't think we are far away, although you know what negotiations are like nowadays. They are never easy," Ferguson told reporters.

Ferdinand, who captained England in their international friendly against France last week, recently said he would like to finish his career at United, the club he joined from Leeds United in 2002 for a then British record fee of 30 million pounds ($60 million).

His outstanding form this season has helped United chase a domestic and European double, keeping clean sheets in their last five league games and their 2-0 Champions League quarter-final first-leg victory at AS Roma on Tuesday night.

"I have always said if you defend well you can win things. If we keep defending right like that we have the forwards to cap on our defensive strength," said Ferguson.

Ferdinand's partnership with Nemanja Vidic has been the bedrock of United's success but Vidic will now be missing for up to three weeks with the knee injury he sustained in Rome.

"It's still a loss but I think we can cope," added Ferguson, who was relieved not to lose the Serbia international for the rest of the season.

"We have got Silvestre back, Neville back, Piquet, John O'Shea and Wes Brown so we are very well covered in that position."

Gary Neville returns to United's squad for the first time in over a year for Sunday's trip to mid-table Middlesbrough after finally regaining full fitness following an ankle injury.

League leaders United, who hold a five-point advantage over Chelsea going into the weekend games, will be looking to maintain their lead by securing a seventh successive win.

"We are approaching the finishing line," said Ferguson. "There is not long to go now but sometimes it's a lifetime away because at this time of year the nerves can play a part, form plays a part and you can get a shock result. We have to make sure our form stays consistent."

Portugal Winger Nani, is still out with a thigh injury but could return for Wednesday's second leg against Roma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.