Manchester United Talk banner

Fergie Apologised To Warnock !!!

890 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RN10 
#1 ·
Neil Warnock has revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson phoned him to apologise after Manchester United lost at home to West Ham United with a weakened team on the last day of last season, a result which meant that Sheffield United were relegated from the Premier League.
The former Blades manager, in his new book Made in Sheffield, recounts that his secretary asked him to return a call from Ferguson and that he thought about it for an hour before finally phoning his Old Trafford counterpart.

"He [Ferguson] said he was sorry about what had happened at Old Trafford. 'We battered them, Neil,' he said. 'We had 25 shots. And the stats would back me up on that. The team was good enough to win'," Warnock writes.
"'I know, Alex,' I said. 'It's just the psychological boost the other team gets when they see all those names not on your team sheet.' 'I can't tell you how sorry I am,' he said. He was quoted the next day saying everything was all right between us. But it's still difficult for me to digest what happened."

Warnock was bitterly disappointed when he saw the side Ferguson had picked against West Ham as his own team were preparing to play Wigan Athletic at Bramall Lane. A draw would have been enough for Sheffield to stay up but they lost 2-1 and had to rely on United beating West Ham, which they failed to do, losing 1-0 to Carlos Tevez's goal. United lost only one other league game at Old Trafford all season, in September against Arsenal.

"I felt really let down," Warnock writes. "I've so much time for Sir Alex but he had said he'd play his best side against West Ham. And this was nowhere near his best side.

"And then Carlos Tevez, football's equivalent of a murderer out on bail, had scored the goal that kept West Ham up and put us down. So much for the integrity of the Premier League. So much for fairness and justice in English football."

See less See more
#2 ·
I could make excuses like we fielded a strong side and we played better than Westham but why should we care ? Sheffield United came 18th after 38 games. they got relegated, tough luck! A team that only needed to DRAW against wigan at HOME and they failed to do so. They deserved to go down simple as. Warnock is such a crybaby complaining that United didnt do HIS work for him.

#3 ·
I can totally understand Warnocks point of view. I think he is equally frsutrated about the whole Tevez saga.

I don't want to see us lose to anyone, let alone West Ham on the last day of the season at home to celebrate our triumph again...but...yeah.

#4 ·
Colin Wanker is at it again! What a moaning, bitter tosser that guy is.

West Ham beat Arsenal, Man United, Blackburn, Middlesborough, Bolton, Everton and Wigan after losing to Spurs 4-3 in that thrilling game last March.

During that same period Sheffield United only managed to beat Watford and West Ham.

That's why they went down! They were simply not good enough!

#5 ·
He has a point but you cannot go blaming teams like Man utd for their own fate.

In hindsight we should have gone out to crush west ham 5-0. It would have made signing Tevez much easier!

It was a nice day though. Everyone on the pitch was dancing around as both teams where really pleased. Imagine it if west ham had been relegated. It would have been a really odd experience then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.