Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has defended Dimitar Berbatov against accusations that he does not work hard enough.

The Manchester United striker has built up a reputation for being idle, drifting in and out of games when the mood takes him.

However, his Old Trafford boss believes this moniker is unfair on a man who grafts as much, if not more, as any of his contemporaries.

Ferguson admits that he is not normally one to look to statistics to back up his point, but believes a glance at the yardage covered by Berbatov in any given game demonstrates just how workmanlike the former Tottenham man is.

"I don't agree with the criticism that he slows us down. I don't agree with that at all. In fact, I don't think we have used him enough," the Red Devils chief said in the Daily Star Sunday.
Incredible

"He's fine. It's like everything else. Whenever a player comes here, if there's a way of criticising him, they will find it.

"They are saying he's this and he's that. But his stats are incredible.

"He did more running (against Middlesbrough) on Monday night than any other front player, including (Wayne) Rooney.

"I think it's the languid style of his that's the problem. The stats, though, would surprise you. They don't surprise me.

"I don't always pay attention to stats, to be honest, yet it's good to know in this case."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4743558,00.html

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Ive just read this in the last ten minutes .

Fergie is right to defended his player but as I have said and many others no one doubts Berbatov's ability but he without doubt is lazy .

The very fact that Fergie is having to defend his striker is a worry I dont think he has signed a player since Veron that has started as slowly as Berbatov .

I would say that he is easly a United player in terms of talent but at United we play fast counter attacking football and if you struggle to play at such pace you struggle at United .

Look at the former players

Veron ( Is a prime example the players were amazed at him in training some saying he was the most skillfull they had ever trained with . But could he adapt to out fast play no he couldnt . )

Kleberson ( Come with a big reputation from the 2002 world cup . Look lost with the fast flow of not just United but the league in general .)

Forlan ( Given time to get his body shape correct he would score lots of goals but at United you dont get time its play with such pace you have to able to finish at pace. )

Poborsky ( Anyone who had seen him for his country and other club teams would say he was a class act . But put him in the premiership and with United's fast tempo he was all over the place and couldnt cut it . )

Just a few who have struggled with the transition to Uniteds style of play .

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I've read and replied to this on RoM as well.

Stats are only half the story and Fergie will always defend his players, but berba has got to start being more lethal in front of goal.

In a single game Rooney might stop running now and then to take a breather in between his explosive runs, where as Berba pretty much jogs at a leisurely pace throughout the match.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
red dave said:
Ive just read this in the last ten minutes .

Fergie is right to defended his player but as I have said and many others no one doubts Berbatov's ability but he without doubt is lazy .

The very fact that Fergie is having to defend his striker is a worry I dont think he has signed a player since Veron that has started as slowly as Berbatov .

I would say that he is easly a United player in terms of talent but at United we play fast counter attacking football and if you struggle to play at such pace you struggle at United .

Look at the former players

Veron ( Is a prime example the players were amazed at him in training some saying he was the most skillfull they had ever trained with . But could he adapt to out fast play no he couldnt . )

Kleberson ( Come with a big reputation from the 2002 world cup . Look lost with the fast flow of not just United but the league in general .)

Forlan ( Given time to get his body shape correct he would score lots of goals but at United you dont get time its play with such pace you have to able to finish at pace. )

Poborsky ( Anyone who had seen him for his country and other club teams would say he was a class act . But put him in the premiership and with United's fast tempo he was all over the place and couldnt cut it . )

Just a few who have struggled with the transition to Uniteds style of play .

Vidic, Evra ring any bells.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What a way to defend your player :)
But agree he looks lazy even if he is not :)

...... But Ferguson insists that when the best of him does come out, it will be just like watching Cantona.

"Yes, I would say there are similarities," added Sir Alex.

"What's so good about him Berbatov is his weighted pass. I don't think we've had a player with that beautiful, weighted pass since Cantona.

"Eric was good at giving the simple pass. He was brilliant at that and he was also a thinker. Maybe Berbatov's style is the problem, because the stats say other things about him."

Here is the link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/04/dimitar-berbatov-can-be-next-eric-cantona-says-sir-alex-ferguson-115875-21014959/

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Berbatov may be lazy, or maybe this is his game, and no matter what you do you can't change it. It's like you'd try to tel Rooney that he should run as much as he usually does in a game. It's innevitable. As long as Berba keeps he's goald drought alive, he will be always criticised. If he manages to improve his goal number, people will forget his leisurely way of playing the game:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wazza1989 said:
Berbatov may be lazy, or maybe this is his game, and no matter what you do you can't change it. It's like you'd try to tel Rooney that he should run as much as he usually does in a game. It's innevitable. As long as Berba keeps he's goald drought alive, he will be always criticised. If he manages to improve his goal number, people will forget his leisurely way of playing the game:)
Just what I was thinking. He needs to stay upfront and not to go so deep in order to score more consistently. But this is fans opinion / not Sir Alex's :)/

Red Devil said:
Didn't we have a Berbatov thread somewhere, now we seem to have dozens of them?
Right, but some are about his skills , some about the price tag and some about his laziness

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I saw Berba come deep loads against Middlesbrough (a little too much imo). I thought we signed him because we were lacking that frontman who stays upfront :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
Just what I was thinking. He needs to stay upfront and not to go so deep in order to score more consistently. But this is fans opinion / not Sir Alex's :)
I agree about him staying upfront. I hate it when we have nobody in the box when we have the ball in good positions.
When we signed Berba, i thought this problem was going to end but he's doing what Rooney/Tevez does ands comes deep!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree it's Berba's style thats the problem, at spurs it was near enough built aroud him at United we've got Ronaldo who plays for himself down the right, we've got Park who works his socks off but cant cross a ball which both dont help Berba who loves to play with wingers who cross the ball at all times, then we've got Rooney and Tevez who love Uniteds style of quick counter attacking football which often bypasses Berbatov or if he gets involved he usually slows it down and the move often breaks down. It's certainly a big problem and this for me is the reason why we aren't scoring enough goals, the striker we played the most leathal football with was Louis Saha but he wasn't fit regularly enough, we should possibly have gone for Eto'o in the summer ? No point of thinking of this now but i dont think Berbatov is quite what we thought he was going to be, i thought he'd be an instant star.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
I agree about him staying upfront. I hate it when we have nobody in the box when we have the ball in good positions.
When we signed Berba, i thought this problem was going to end but he's doing what Rooney/Tevez does ands comes deep!
I used to think that this role is just temporary. Maybe Sir Alex wanted to go deep in order to get used with his teammates. I still hope he will send him upfront , especially after Scholes is back and shows a good form.

Drew9 said:
I agree it's Berba's style thats the problem, at spurs it was near enough built aroud him at United we've got Ronaldo who plays for himself down the right, we've got Park who works his socks off but cant cross a ball which both dont help Berba who loves to play with wingers who cross the ball at all times, then we've got Rooney and Tevez who love Uniteds style of quick counter attacking football which often bypasses Berbatov or if he gets involved he usually slows it down and the move often breaks down. It's certainly a big problem and this for me is the reason why we aren't scoring enough goals, the striker we played the most leathal football with was Louis Saha but he wasn't fit regularly enough, we should possibly have gone for Eto'o in the summer ? No point of thinking of this now but i dont think Berbatov is quite what we thought he was going to be, i thought he'd be an instant star.
This is the best post I have seen about him. He shows his best when the wingers consistently try to find the targetman. But this is not our style since we sold RVN. So we must change our style or sell him and buy another striker who will fit our style.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
Well,I guess Fergie is thnkin' that if it worked last year with Tevez and Rooney, this year will be the same, because we haven't had any changes in the team. The only thing is that Berbatov is replacing Tevez, and by going back, Berba looses a lot of his potential. He's a good passer, a very good finisher but that's it. You can't put him run with the ball like Rooney, Tevez or Ronaldo do. Berba is the same type of player Inzaghi is. So he should start doing the same thing the italian is doing. That is if Fergie will someday understand that.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
red dave said:
Little boy Ive been watching united for 20 years and Berbatov has started slow and there is only Veron who compares as a player that means his slow style .

Vidic was signed and didnt really get a run in the team until the next season . Yes Evra was a slow off the mark but again there was player ahead of him .

Berbatov has played from the start in nearly all of his games so he like Veron is under more of a spot light .

Is that ok youngster ;)

Its fine;)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
TBH, I think we would not be having this discussion if we played him as an out and out striker rather than behind Rooney. He looks absolutely lost in this position and we don't get to see the elegance and silky dribbles which Totthenham supporters grew accustomed to. I would sincerely love to see Berba given the role of an old fashioned foward.

Why can't Fergie see that he should quite clearly be playing Wayne behind Berbatov, then I think we would see an absolute deadly strikeforce, one of the best ever to tell the truth.

I really don't think his workrate is the problem, I think it's plain and simple, he's being played out of position.

I also think today's match could be key to Berba season. I think if he can maybe hit two in this match, then it will take a load of pressure of his back and then maybe we'll see the 'Totthenham' Berbatov.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
I also think today's match could be key to Berba season. I think if he can maybe hit two in this match, then it will take a load of pressure of his back and then maybe we'll see the 'Totthenham' Berbatov.
I agree this could take a load of pressure but this will not be enough. He will be fully confident only when he manage to score some very important goals vs big teams. Chelsea and Inter games are the perfect chances to do the job :)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
I agree it's Berba's style thats the problem, at spurs it was near enough built aroud him at United

we've got Ronaldo who plays for himself down the right, we've got Park who works his socks off but cant cross a ball which both dont help Berba who loves to play with wingers who cross the ball at all times,

then we've got Rooney and Tevez who love Uniteds style of quick counter attacking football which often bypasses Berbatov or if he gets involved he usually slows it down and the move often breaks down. It's certainly a big problem and this for me is the reason why we aren't scoring enough goals,

the striker we played the most leathal football with was Louis Saha but he wasn't fit regularly enough, we should possibly have gone for Eto'o in the summer ? No point of thinking of this now but i dont think Berbatov is quite what we thought he was going to be, i thought he'd be an instant star.
That's a good post and I absolutely agree.

But there has been a lot of times this season when, when someone has been able to put in a quality cross, there's nobody in the middle to convert them into scoring chances. I thought that was the reason we were buying him for, but right now it doesn't look like it.

I actually think Berbatov was signed with Europe in mind, where things are more patient and slower. As someone posted a couple of months ago, Rooney can play at both a slow tempo and a quick tempo. Tevez was left out of a lot of European games in the knockout stages, which perhaps because have been because of the fact that Tevez plays at a quick pace whereas in Europe everything is more patient and playing at a slower tempo away from home. If you think back, in the knockout stages (as far as I can remember) Tevez only started most of the home games then the final against Chelsea (which was played like a Premiership game)

There is no doubt in my mind that the best lethal football we have played and Rooneys best form came when Saha was up front during that half season (before he got injured.) It's pretty disappointing that Saha was injury-prone, because he would have been the perfect striker for us right not imo. I wanted us to go for someone like Eto'o in the summer, as that's what I thought we needed. But we went for Berbatov.

As for Berbatov, he hasn't made a massive impact so far. But I'll give him time to prove his worth if he does.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I thought berba put in some pretty good work today ,I saw him running and making some good passes and getting into space.His style is very relaxed so it looks slow,but I dont see him giving the ball up in good situations like nani.

Z

·
0 Posts
He can't even be bothered to defend himself, has to get Fergie to do it, lazy *******.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts