Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carlos deserves great credit
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6401179

Sir Alex Ferguson has paid tribute to his No.2 Carlos Queiroz for his excellent work both across the course of the season and ahead of the Champions League final.

The Reds' boss believes his assistant's work was key to United's dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Chelsea in Moscow.

Queiroz has been linked with a number of managerial positions since his return to Old Trafford after a brief stint at Real Madrid's helm. But Sir Alex fully expects his No.2 to be part of United's future successes for many years to come.

"The Portugal job would be a big attraction [for Carlos], but I feel that he's at his club," declared the manager.

"He's well respected and the job he did in terms of preparation for the final was absolutely fantastic. He's improving a lot of things at the club.

"I've realised that progress needs to be made in different areas which I'm not an expert on, for instance the medical side.

"Carlos has increased the medical side of things to a different level which is fantastic and I don't think there is anyone better in the world than us [in that area] - that's all down to Carlos' vision for the future, I must admits I wouldn't have had that vision."

When asked whether or not Queiroz may eventually succeed him, Sir Alex insisted: "That is not my domain. But, listen, there is absolutely no doubt that Carlos will be here for a long time, I'm sure of that. As long as me anyway!"

- It's all good at old Trafford and Carrington at the moment and I love it! I'm lapping up every piece of news on how good the team spirit and respect between the staff is at Manchester United like a kid laps up candy.

It's so common for the big clubs to have problems with their star players and for them to voice their displeasure in public, but Fergie and Queiroz have it under control. I think we shouldn't underestimate how difficult it is to manage talented players, who can be eccentric and have inflated egos.

Fergie has been very vocal about praising his assistant, which I don't see happen often. It was also good to hear that Fergie is open to improvements Quieroz have suggested. It sounds like Fergie is really happy with his number 2 and he's said in another interview that hiring Queiroz was one of the best decisions he's ever made. I don't think anyone could disagree.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Nope.

Queiroz has had his critics over the years, but I've supported him. I think hes fantastic, and he has acheived a lot. And if Fergie admires him, then he must be fantastic.

I also think that he should be handed the managers job when SAF decides its time to go (only if he wants it, of course ;))

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I still think anyone in a number 2 position could do just as good. I disliked his tactics he implored on us two seasons ago. Even though we've improved and he may be responsible i think most people in number 2 position do well here. He could be replaced. Though he might have had a fair bit to do with Ronaldo and Nani...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
he's a great Manager..and i think..that...he will stay for a long time at United....he must learn a lot..if he should have a chance of being the big boss at Man Utd..but..he's improoved a lot over the years...so..good job Carlos

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
He's done a great job for us. He was the one who got Anderson & Manucho for us,as well as playing a key role in signing Nani.
I'm glad he's with us and hopefully he'll stay for many years to come. I can't see him leaving. He must be enjoying working with these exceptionally talented youngsters like Anderson, Nani & co

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry guys but who is Carlos QUieros ?what has he done? and is he the new successor to S.A.F. Why is he there?surely he is not a successor people have asked me if he is going to be the new manager and what has he done ............ i can't answer someone help me i think at the mo the only person i would be happy with is Martin O'Neill any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
chrisd1 said:
Sorry guys but who is Carlos QUieros ?what has he done? and is he the new successor to S.A.F. Why is he there?surely he is not a successor people have asked me if he is going to be the new manager and what has he done ............ i can't answer someone help me i think at the mo the only person i would be happy with is Martin O'Neill any thoughts??
he's the assistant mate lol, how long have you supported united ? he's got us some of the best young players in the world and is probably the best assistant we've evr had at the club, and no i wouldnt really like martin o'neil, i doubt he could take the pressure, only one man imo is a certain mr.keane

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
chrisd1 said:
You know, he is the guy that lead the Portugal youth team to 2 World Youth Cup titles, U-17 European Cup Title and discovered the Golden Generation of Portugese Football ( Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Fernando Couto, João Vieira Pinto and Jorge Costa ).
He helped in the signings of Nani & Anderson as well as Manucho. He coached Real Madrid, but that was unsuccessful because he was totally undermined by the Executives. Nothing much really you know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
854 Posts
OK, my thoughts: Carlos has done a magnificent job. A lot of fans got right under my skin when we played 433 a couple of seasons back, it didn't work and some fans heavily critised him. Now with our recent success he hasn't got that much praise and I am glad Ferguson has come out and said that.

However, I always have a bad feeling when the number 2 becomes the number 1. A good assistant manager doesn't mean a good manager.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wasn't always the biggest fan of Carlos, but I do now respect him and am glad to have him at the club.

CQ was often associated with the negative football we saw at United around about 2005 and the 4-5-1 formation which saw us pick up only the Carling Cup from the 2004/05 and 2005/06 season. Some fans felt that he was running the show and this is what we had to look forward to if he eventually took over from Fergie.

However, I think he has done a lot of work that at times goes unoticed. He is involved quite heavily in training by all accounts, and seems to be well respected by all at the club. He has experience at the top level now and will know as much as anyone, excluding SAF, about the day to day running of the team.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scott 4 evra said:
OK, my thoughts: Carlos has done a magnificent job. A lot of fans got right under my skin when we played 433 a couple of seasons back, it didn't work and some fans heavily critised him. Now with our recent success he hasn't got that much praise and I am glad Ferguson has come out and said that.

However, I always have a bad feeling when the number 2 becomes the number 1. A good assistant manager doesn't mean a good manager.

Very similar to my thoughts.

I think we have to consider that the team needed to go through a season or two of adapting to different systems. We now can totally anhialate opposition like Newcastle and Aston Villa, but we can also grind out matches like Barca with defensive displays.

That's something I feel Quieroz has bought to the club. It might not be the Unted way, as many have pointed out, but unfortunately it can be necessary.

More importantly, the players look fitter and are always saying how happy they are with training and that is a credit to the coaching staff.

However, I too do not think that assistants end up being good managers when they take over from the manager at the same club.

Imagine if Steve McClaren had taken from Fergie.....hahahahahahaha...OK ok better not to imagine that scenario.

Thank God it's not a decision I have to make, but I'm also inclined to say he deserves ashot at it. Especially the work he's done with Ronaldo and the work he'll do with Anderson and Nani. Whether his Portugue-speaking stars will stick around to support, if he ever gets the chance to be United's manager, is an entirely different subject......

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
All Hail King Carlos

Sir Alex Ferguson has paid tribute to his No.2 Carlos Queiroz for his excellent work both across the course of the season and ahead of the Champions League final.

The Reds' boss believes his assistant's work was key to United's dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Chelsea in Moscow.

Queiroz has been linked with a number of managerial positions since his return to Old Trafford after a brief stint at Real Madrid's helm. But Sir Alex fully expects his No.2 to be part of United's future successes for many years to come.

"The Portugal job would be a big attraction [for Carlos], but I feel that he's at his club," declared the manager.

"He's well respected and the job he did in terms of preparation for the final was absolutely fantastic. He's improving a lot of things at the club.

"I've realised that progress needs to be made in different areas which I'm not an expert on, for instance the medical side.

"Carlos has increased the medical side of things to a different level which is fantastic and I don't think there is anyone better in the world than us [in that area] - that's all down to Carlos' vision for the future, I must admits I wouldn't have had that vision."

When asked whether or not Queiroz may eventually succeed him, Sir Alex insisted: "That is not my domain. But, listen, there is absolutely no doubt that Carlos will be here for a long time, I'm sure of that. As long as me anyway!"

www.manutd.com newsfeed

·
Registered
55 Posts
It has to be him who takes over from the "old man" he is the natural choice!

He was a massive part of bringing Nani, Ronnie, Anderson and Vidic to the club, he will make a great manager in my opinion, if Fergie thinks so then we must trust him, he knows what is best for our club, god i wish Fergie was 20 years younger

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Brian of Nazareth said:
It has to be him who takes over from the "old man" he is the natural choice!

He was a massive part of bringing Nani, Ronnie, Anderson and Vidic to the club, he will make a great manager in my opinion, if Fergie thinks so then we must trust him, he knows what is best for our club, god i wish Fergie was 20 years younger
It is absolutely the right thing to do. Something tells me that he has already been promised the job to keep him at United until SAF retires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts