Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed his side's chances of winning an unprecedented quintuple this season.

The Red Devils have already won the Fifa Club World Cup and the Carling Cup, while the Premier League champions hold a four-point lead in the defence of their crown.

United are also in the FA Cup semi-finals and the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, making glory on five fronts a possibility.

But while Ferguson has reiterated that his current squad is the best in his time at Old Trafford, the Scot has played down the chances of a historic campaign.

He told the New Statesman: "The thing about cup football is you need to be the best but you also need a lot of luck and I think it's asking too much for all the games to go your way.

"The one thing I will say is, this squad is the best I have ever had. Every game we play, I feel confident.

"At the moment, every attack fears our defence and every defence fears our midfield and attack. That gives you confidence but it is too tough a call."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Fergie dismisses quintuple

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
To be honest I don't think he should have come out and said that, it's not good for team morale. Even if it's a difficult task or near impossible a manager should make his players believe it's doable and let fate take it from there.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think he's really just trying to calm the situation down. Talk of the quintuple has been going around and he's just wanting to take any pressure off the players imo.

Also, I think he's just telling the truth.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think he's really just trying to calm the situation down. Talk of the quintuple has been going around and he's just wanting to take any pressure off the players imo.

Also, I think he's just telling the truth.
Totally agree with you there.

I reckon that before the Liverpool defeat a few of the players could have been forgiven for getting ahead of themselves and dreaming about the quintruple but I'm sure they have now been brought crashing down to Earth.

Fergie's just telling it like it is.

The FA Cup will be very tough to win with Everton in the semi's and Arsenal/Chelsea in the final and there are still 6 teams, including us, in the Champions League who could still win it (Bayern probably being the weakest of those 6).

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Good I'm glad to hear him say this to be honest. The players have started talking about it and thats not a good thing. When you start thinking in the future instead of the present you lose concentration. Hopefully the defeat at Liverpool will have taught them this, and I'm sure it has.

Look at City, they've been talking about what they will do in the future none stop all season and look at what a shocker they've had!

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Not having a go Richie but we aren't city :p Yeah no harm in playing down chances, in fact its more likely to fire up players than saying definitely we'll win them all.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Not having a go Richie but we aren't city :p Yeah no harm in playing down chances, in fact its more likely to fire up players than saying definitely we'll win them all.
No lol I know I'm not saying talking about the Quad will send us into complete City-style free fall, but that it might just make us lose a little concentration on whats sitting in front of us. Which is why I think Fergie has written off our chances, so it won't get talked about.

But I firmly believe with 100% concentration and a bit of luck we can go all the way. If we forget what we've already won this season, we're just going for the treble again but with a bigger squad this time around.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
fergies dead right ,they should not even think about it just play one game at a time and hope for the best . utd will certainly lose at least one more game this season and hopefully we can cover the deficit and keep the wagon rolling.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
He is right though (as he often is really in footballing terms). Talk of the quintuple is meaningless until we're much further along in the Champions League - semi final or even final, because next round who knows who we may draw or how we perform over the 2 legs. Same goes for the FA Cup, now I think we should beat Everton, but they're not a bad side, and then we'd have to beat either Arsenal or Chelsea in the final, both of whom are quite capable of beating us.

Still plenty of time to go, over confidence would be a killer for us. Nothing wrong with believing in the team, we have a great team really and they should be very successful this season if all goes to plan, but what's the point in going on about this when there's still so many obstacles to overcome?

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,917 Posts
To be honest I don't think he should have come out and said that, it's not good for team morale. Even if it's a difficult task or near impossible a manager should make his players believe it's doable and let fate take it from there.
I think it's good for team morale, he's just saying this to play down the press, i think he's telling them it's doable but hard and is trying to motivate them by playing them down

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Does anybody know a guy called Bob who lives in Northwich? I'm asking because I want to kick his ass!

He's clearly a WUM and not a United fan but he keeps writing into the Teletext footy opinions page calling for Fergie to be sacked!

He used this latest story about Fergie dismissing our quintuple hopes as a reason saying that Fergie clearly doesn't have any faith in his players.

Muppet. :mad:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't know why he said this, the United team is good enough to win all 5 this season, maybe it was because of the 4-1 mauling of Liverpool that made him come to realise that United were not going to do it, but still all us United fans are with them to the end, we believe that they can win 5 trophies this season, it's possible, i'm sure Fergie is backing his players to believe too, and engouraging them, he just said this to get the media off thier back i think, stop talking about the possibility of the "Quintuple".

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Does anybody know a guy called Bob who lives in Northwich? I'm asking because I want to kick his ass!

He's clearly a WUM and not a United fan but he keeps writing into the Teletext footy opinions page calling for Fergie to be sacked!

He used this latest story about Fergie dismissing our quintuple hopes as a reason saying that Fergie clearly doesn't have any faith in his players.

Oh, I noticed him a couple of days ago.

He said that "he's been calling for Fergie to be sacked for a while now and yesterday proved why" (he was meaning the Liverpool game obviously.)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Fergie is absolutely spot on we will not win the lot , you need to be on fire and have lots and lots of luck, just take our treble winning year we beat spurs at home in the last home game after going one down , the fa cup was easy but the champions league we used all our luck , the germans would have been out of sight if they had not hit the woodwork twice it luck like this that matters , then to score twice in injury time was unbelieveable.
To get the same amount of luck plus even more is a massive ask

·
Banned
15,336 Posts

He's at it again reddwarf :mad:

What did I say about Fergie? He must be sacked now and Scholes and Rooney must be sold for their lack of discipline - a disgrace. Bob, Northwich

Although there's someone else starting now: Thank you so much Fergie for blowing the Premier League. That team selection has told every Manchester United fan that you have lost it. It's time to bring back Carlos - there is no way he would have allowed that team on the field. Alan, Bury"

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
He's at it again reddwarf :mad:

What did I say about Fergie? He must be sacked now and Scholes and Rooney must be sold for their lack of discipline - a disgrace. Bob, Northwich

Although there's someone else starting now: Thank you so much Fergie for blowing the Premier League. That team selection has told every Manchester United fan that you have lost it. It's time to bring back Carlos - there is no way he would have allowed that team on the field. Alan, Bury"

:rolleyes:
Who are these wan##rs, certainly not fans , these are glory hunters who don't know what is like to watch your team win only FA CUPS for years and years, these people think United should trounce every team every week, they obviously don't know the game very well. TWATS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts