Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...rules-summer-spree-Old-Trafford.html?ITO=1490

United boss Sir Alex rules out summer spree at Old Trafford

Sir Alex Ferguson expects the end of Euro 2008 to herald a busy spell in the transfer market but insists Manchester United will not be rushing to spend.

The United manager has targets, but after a season in which his team won the Barclays Premier League and Champions League he is confident in the quality they already possess and could settle on just one new arrival.

Ferguson said: 'The European Championship derails transfer activity. Nothing really happens when the championships are on.

'Obviously, now that is all over, people settle down. Managers are back at their clubs and you can get some dialogue now if they are interested, but I wouldn't think (we would buy) any more than one player.

'We are looking at one or two things.'

erguson will continue to monitor movement in the market but does not see many transfer dealings being straightforward.

He said: 'People think it's easy to buy players nowadays, but it's not because money plays a big part first of all.

'Clubs with ambitions don't want to sell their best players, so it's not as easy as you'd think and we tend to look for younger ones.'

Ferguson was speaking at the Great Scots Cup charity golf event, held at the Carrick course by Loch Lomond where he is the honorary captain.

Proceeds from the event were to be donated to Ferguson's charity, Elizabeth Hardy Ferguson Trust Fund, and the Children's Hospice Association Scotland.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
if he only intends to buy one player it will be a striker, thats obvious, also he said he expects Gary Neville to re-ermerge so there will be no need to buy another full back even though i think a defender at the right price would be a decent addition with Pique leaving. Im confident Sir Alex will bring the right striker in, he says he's got one or two in mind :) bring it on

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe Bastian Schweinsteiger comes, that would be great and i hope that Welbeck and Possebon gets some chanses in the first eleven.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Ritesh MU said:
THATS WHY HE IS CALLED SIR ALEX he know what to buy

in united we beleive = in Fergie we Beleive
most of the time we believe in him .
when fergie has not invested preseason we generally have a bad season .
last season nani, anderson , tevez and hargreaves = the double , it was no fluke this happened we had cover in most departments last year.
With the possible departure of ronaldo , and the ages of giggs , neville and scholes i think a couple of players are required to keep the squad up to the highest level.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stretty said:
most of the time we believe in him .
when fergie has not invested preseason we generally have a bad season .
last season nani, anderson , tevez and hargreaves = the double , it was no fluke this happened we had cover in most departments last year.
With the possible departure of ronaldo , and the ages of giggs , neville and scholes i think a couple of players are required to keep the squad up to the highest level.
- a department that concerns me more than our front line is our cover on the left.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel we need a striker, but I'm also concerned about the left side of midfield and defence.

It is actually a more burning need than a right back. At right back we have Neville, Brown, Hargreaves and Simpson.

On the left it's only Evra + Silvestre in defence and in midfield Nani and Park.

We should try to avoid playing Wazza on the left, if we can avoid it. Fergie has done so in the past, but it's really not maximizing Wayne's talent to play him there.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
RedForceRising said:
- a department that concerns me more than our front line is our cover on the left.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel we need a striker, but I'm also concerned about the left side of midfield and defence.

It is actually a more burning need than a right back. At right back we have Neville, Brown, Hargreaves and Simpson.

On the left it's only Evra + Silvestre in defence and in midfield Nani and Park.

We should try to avoid playing Wazza on the left, if we can avoid it. Fergie has done so in the past, but it's really not maximizing Wayne's talent to play him there.
sylvestre could be off to roma as well , so you are right we will be weaker

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Its obviously a striker hes talking about imo. If it isn't I'll be extremely surprised.

I would also like to see Johnny Evans stay and provide cover for the defence, and hopefully he'll get more chances than Pique did.

If Ronaldo and/or Silvestre leaves, we would obviously need a right-winger and/or a left back to replace him. If Silvestre leaves, I want a young LB to replace him, someone around the age of 22.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I was hoping we'd bring in a couple of players but I guess this isn't terribly surprising. If we do bring in a striker it's likely to be a big money signing and the club can't afford to splash out £50m+ every summer. We have a big squad as it is and the quality was there for all to see last season.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
we dont even need that many players and just 1 or 2.. we have enough midfielders but we need a striker as we all know. we do also need another defender and thats about it.. glad fergie knows this and not just keep on buying like chelski.. who have been linked with about everyone in the transfer market

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I've seen Simpson play on the left for the reserves and O'Shea has played there many times too. Even Hargreaves filled in there occasionally for Bayern.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
reddwarf said:
I've seen Simpson play on the left for the reserves and O'Shea has played there many times too. Even Hargreaves filled in there occasionally for Bayern.

'Tis true...BUT...and it's a big, big BUT.

Would you feel safe/confident going into a match against a top side with O'Shea at left back. Of course, he's played there before, but I would prefer someone a bit more mobile, who could track back fast and go forward quickly.

Plus if Silvestre leaves, left back would become a burning issue.

I've not seen Hargreaves play in that position, but I trust him enough to let him play anywhere on the pitch. Still, I'd rather keep him in the centre of the park or on the right.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
with the money from pique , and possibly campbell to hull and sahas departure to anywhere he should almost balance the books , (like he always does).
the glazers must love fergie to bits , all that success and he always manages to sell players for good fees helping balance the budget , what a top manager the likes of which we not see ever again

1 - 20 of 40 Posts