Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson Alludes To Jose Mourinho As His Successor At Manchester United
The Manchester United boss has given a clear hint that it could be the Internazionale boss who is the one capable of continuing the legacy that the Scot built up.

For so long Sir Alex Ferguson has given no clear indication when exactly he shall retire from club management, but earlier today - and as reported by Goal.com - the wily Scot expressed that he would sketch his last chalk-board once he has claimed a further two European Cups.

That only leaves the question as to who has the capacity, the nuance, the know-how, to succeed a man who has overseen a lengthy period of unrivalled dominance in the Premier League. Many have pin-pointed former Manchester United sons Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, and Steve Bruce as noble contenders. Others foresee Martin O'Neill as the man to push the Old Trafford outfit on.

Former Chelsea manager and current Internazionale boss Jose Mourinho, though, could be in line to become the first non-British and non-Irish person to command control of one of the most famous names in world football, as Ferguson today dropped a hint that it is the charismatic Portuguese, who he holds in the highest of regards.

Regarding his successor, Sir Alex told CNN, "I am glad it is not my decision. But whoever it is, it needs to be someone with experience.

"Manchester United is a massive club," he said. "The club I joined in 1986 is nothing like the one it is today."

Something Special

Referencing specific candidates who could execute the job to a high quality, Ferguson nominated a man whom he has a certain amount of affection for. However, he also tempered his words with caution.

"I like Jose Mourinho. He is a good guy and someone I get on very well with. But people forget how quickly the game changes. The job of a football manager is a pretty fragile one.

"You can be on the very top of the world and then after two defeats you are the worst team ever. Hopefully I will be here for another two or three years. Who knows what will have happened in that time.

"Thinking about Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger or whoever is going to be impossible."

Many have speculated that Ferguson will retire once he ensures Manchester United succeed Liverpool as the most successful English club, although his age have more of a say.

"I am 67 now," he said. "At the moment I am still healthy and enjoying my job. If that was different I would quit immediately.

"But winning a specific trophy does not come into it. I would love this club to win more European trophies. We definitely should have at least a couple more.

"But just by being in so many semi-finals and quarter-finals, it shows you how hard it is to win," he concluded.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Fergie has always been an admirer of Mourinho. I believe there's a lot of mutual respect between the two of them.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Jose isn't an attacking minded manager but he knows how to do his job very well. Sir Alex knows him very very well so i guess if he thinks Jose is the best solution for now at the moment, than he should be the man. Of course there's still another one or two years left for Fergie, so who knows wich manager will rise high enough to be United's manager:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not keen on mourinho at all, i admire & respect his record but not the way his teams play football. Having said that the way we have defended in the last four games!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I`ve said it before, and will say it again ..
Our principles and traditional style of play comes before any success. We have been upholding this attacking style since forever, its part of who we are and i don`t want any world class coach to differ that.

Jose Mourinho does not tick the most important qualities for me, he would be perfect for a defensive side, and i will never underestimate his coaching ability, but he`s not the right person to overtake Ferguson.

Don`t prioritize those trophies - Our style of play was what won us those and made us the best in the world, and they were not the trophies who gained our identity.

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
He's not that special, only R A millions that made Chelsea great at the time, did not do a bad job with Porto but done sh!te with Inter Milan, oh well just speculation again, it mentioned David Moyes other week (who i prefer) Oh well see who takes over when it does happen, as the saying goes "in Fergie we trust" :cool:

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
He's not that special, only R A millions that made Chelsea great at the time, did not do a bad job with Porto but done sh!te with Inter Milan, oh well just speculation again, it mentioned David Moyes other week (who i prefer) Oh well see who takes over when it does happen, as the saying goes "in Fergie we trust" :cool:
Only to a certain extent, it also caused bust ups and the fact that Jose had to deal with new signings he didn`t even need and want didn`t help neither. To be fair, Italian football is nowhere near English`s, very different, altough it is defensive, which suits his style but it is also very slow with a lot of passing and skills. He needs more time to adjust. Its not as easy.

I hope he finds his feet where he is now, i don`t want him anywhere near my team.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I wouldn't say he failed at Inter. They're poised to take the league with a nice lead, yes, they failed getting past the last 16, but then, so did ALL italian teams. And their matches weren't that unbalanced, and against the current holder. I'd wager if they'd gotten another team, like Bayern or maybe even porto, he could have made it through. going all the way to the final, I don't know, but I doubt it, but certainly he could have done more.

Only to a certain extent, it also caused bust ups and the fact that Jose had to deal with new signings he didn`t even need and want didn`t help neither. To be fair, Italian football is nowhere near English`s, very different, altough it is defensive, which suits his style but it is also very slow with a lot of passing and skills. He needs more time to adjust. Its not as easy.

I hope he finds his feet where he is now, i don`t want him anywhere near my team.
Well, his contract his due at about the time is panning to retire, so... Your nightmare might come true...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
why does everyone always say mourinio is defensive, he got chelsea to play brilliant football when they had robben and duff.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Im not a big fan of jose mourinhos style of football, but I will say this he is the only manager I would want to suceed fergie, the fact is the most important thing a manager needs to posses when taking over teams that have egos and high profile personalities is quite and simply balls. He is the only manager outside of fergie and maybe capello that can come in to the utd locker room and demand respect. Its been seen many times were a manager with not so much personality takes over an ego studded locker room only to have the tide turned against him because of the lack of discipline and lack of respect from the players towards the new manager. People talk about moyes or oneill but I guarantee you they do not have the stature to demand the respect of the ronaldos, rooneys, rios etc.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
why does everyone always say mourinio is defensive, he got chelsea to play brilliant football when they had robben and duff.
No one ever said that defensive football can`t be brilliant - Class players makes table soccer look brill, let alone defensive football.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I`m very confident it won`t, i`m not getting carried away by all this speculation.
that's right. it's all pure speculation. First of all we don't know how long fergie is gonna stay. it's not 100% sure that he's gonna retire in 2010. And even though, nothing guarantees that Mou is gonna' come. he has an interesting CV but so do others.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
No one ever said that defensive football can`t be brilliant - Class players makes table soccer look brill, let alone defensive football.
But im saying they actually played attacking football under mourinio. They were scoring for fun at one stage.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
People talk about David Moyes, all conveniently forgetting that
Everton's football is uglier than Britney Spears without hair or
makeup.

Mourinho isn't ideal but, looking at the likely candidates, he's the
best of the pack.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
People talk about David Moyes, all conveniently forgetting that