Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes that if his side are to sweep all before them this season they will need to steer clear of any more injuries.

United have the opportunity to claim an unprecedented quintuple this term with the team well poised in all competitions.

The Red Devils have already secured the World Club Cup in December and face Tottenham in the final of the Carling Cup on March 1st.

Ferguson's side top the table in the Premier League and are currently in the last 16 of the Uefa Champions League and FA Cup.

Although the Scot believes that such a feat is unlikely he admits the thought has crossed his mind.

"You would need the luck and you would need to keep all your players fit," he told Sirius radio.

"If we keep everyone fit then yes, we'd have a chance. When you're in a competition, you've got to try to win it and, as long as you're still in that competition, you've got a chance.
Realistic

"What we have done well recently is that we've had a lot of injuries but the squad has compensated and whatever team I have picked the players have just got on with it.

"But realistically I don't see it."

United's chances of success this term have been given a boost with striker Wayne Rooney set to return from a hamstring injury for Sunday's clash at West Ham, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

The Red Devils' attack is enhanced further with the return to form of World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Portuguese ace's recent form of four goals in as many games ended a run of 11 games without a goal in all competitions.

"He'll start to flourish now," Ferguson said.

"You know what goalscorers are like, when they're not scoring they're a bit grumpy and when they are scoring they are the happiest people in the world."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4901126,00.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
marty davidson said:
"You would need the luck and you would need to keep all your players fit," he told Sirius radio.

"What we have done well recently is that we've had a lot of injuries but the squad has compensated and whatever team I have picked the players have just got on with it.

"But realistically I don't see it."

So if winning all competitions is not realistic (and my head also says that it isn't) then which one(s) would you most like to win??

My choice would have to be the Premiership (it is such a hard slog and such an amazing climax when we win it. I know the CL is really prestigious but I just can't feel the same way about it as the league), followed closely by the Champions League and don't mind after that really. I'd so so so so so so SO love the big double again this year - a double double, that'd be brill :)

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i dont think we will do it, but not because we aren't capable.
i think it's just about fine margins. there are no teams that we cant beat but there's always a game, like portsmouth last season where we try and try but cant break them down then they go down the other end and do us on the break. that's that and you're out the cup. that's why a treble/quadruple is so hard

·
Registered
601 Posts
the only team in our way is barca for the CL. I think we have the upperhand over liverpool and chelsea at the stage we r in now. Probably why fergy is boasting about his squad, because it is really telling now, just hope we put away the chances . The Carling Cup against tottenham will be difficult but we should in. Fa cup looks difficult and chelsea r the only real threat but again i feel united have a real upperhand over the top four.

But last year we beat barca and we had injuries and didnt have the squad choice as we do now. I maybe getting carried away but i think we will manage all the trophies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.