Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot understand why we played such a formation with so many players being played out of position. When you go to Anfield you need to pack the midfield and keep possesion of the ball, so why play a flat 4-4-2 with Anderson left wing Rooney right wing and half fit Carrick in the centre. Where was Fletcher, he had been one of our best players so far this season, why was half fit Carrick in the team ahead of Fletcher, I don't get it. The entire reason we could not keep the ball is because our midfield was light weight with players playing out of position. We should of had Fletcher in front of the defence with Scholes and Anderson in the centre, with Rooney and Tevez behind Berbatov in there natural positions. We deserved to lose this game as a result of such an incompetent team selection. Am I the only one worried at how average we have looked with the two portugese, Quieroz and Ronaldo missing????

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I also cannot understand the fact why 4-4-2 with those players? Why Anderson on left mid when you can start with Nani who has scored 2 goals in past 2 games plus you got Park Ji Sung and Giggs on the wings. Why did Rooney have to play right midfield when someone like Park or Nani could of done way better. It was disgraceful and sad to see Rooney choke like he did...play him as a supporting striker then you will get the best of him...till then you won't find anything. Bloody hell after playing his favourite suporting striker role for England he was clearly their best player with setting up all of Theo's goals plus getting one himself as he played off Heskey. We lined up as a 4-3-3 and that imo would of been much better than the 4-4-2..I thought we were going to play a Chelsea type formation which would of been great but the 4-4-2 with the players we had didn't work. We need to get a formation with Ronaldo now too with Stamford Brdige our next game in the EPL.

Z

·
0 Posts
It was an awful performances yes, but why the Fergie bashing? I hate to see posts like this. Is he man not entitled to make a mistake once in a while without some fans turning on him? He's a human being and isn't infallible like some seem to think.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
control the mid-field that is essential! giggs for carrick? the system is broke right now , too ****ed to say more!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Blade said:
It was an awful performances yes, but why the Fergie bashing? I hate to see posts like this. Is he man not entitled to make a mistake once in a while without some fans turning on him? He's a human being and isn't infallible like some seem to think.
the same thing about Van Der Sar his performance wasn't great in the last 4 matches but everybody is slating him and calling Foster to be number 1 instead of Supporting Edwin more

Z

·
0 Posts
abojodeh said:
the same thing about Van Der Sar his performance wasn't great in the last 4 matches but everybody is slating him and calling Foster to be number 1 instead of Supporting Edwin more
The goalkeeper is a vital part of the team. If he isn't performing well and causing us to lose games he has to be replaced.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Blade said:
The goalkeeper is a vital part of the team. If he isn't performing well and causing us to lose games he has to be replaced.
yeah but also 4 matches isn't the end, give him a chance versus Villareal and Chelsea
if he kept making mistakes then call on Foster

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Blade said:
well said blade, well said

i think we need to blame the fact we didnt have the desire or the power to win

all credit to liverpool they outplayed us and we had nothing, as fergie said in the pre match interview we didnt match them with the tackleing they got stuck in we didnt

there isnt many good things to take out the match we'll just have to build for the next game

hopefully a good result in midweek will kick start us

and if you wanna fergie bash then i suggest you go on another forum or support another team cause there aint a manager like him hes the best there is END OF

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
funny how nobody was on slating formation or selection until at leat half time . we lost - it happens .

silly errors cost us not fergies tactics . who can legislate for giggs not putting it in row z when he should or brown vds boo boo .

it just wasnt our day .

Z

·
0 Posts
abojodeh said:
yeah but also 4 matches isn't the end, give him a chance versus Villareal and Chelsea
if he kept making mistakes then call on Foster
I think four is enough. Let Foster or Kuszczak play the Villareal game and let Van der Sar know that his starting place isn't guaranteed, then bring him back for Chelsea next Sunday.

·
Registered
95 Posts
GOD save us from the fans, Mate Liverpool played much better than you would expect and yes the formation and the players rotated were a joke but then you cannot get everything right all the time. To give credit where its due liverpool played a blinder.

We started superbly and showed how good we can be but lost a lot of composure in the middle and should have switched to 4-3-3 after the first goal bringing rooney in but a few mistakes cost us.

The start was going to be tough and it has proved out to be that ways but not a lot lost after 4 weeks of the season gone. :)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Perhaps he shouldn't of tried to fit all three of the strikers in the team at once at the first time of asking.

You have to take other factors into account though. Carrick was injured in the first half, the back five was the same and it was VDS' and Giggs' mistakes that cost us the goals. It's a learning proccess at the moment in terms of our attacking line-up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Fergie is responsible. I couldn't believe it when I saw the lineup. It's inexcusable. He's made the same error enough times before to have learnt from it.

I'm almost lost for words after that game. VDS was quite useless, Rooney didn't know what to do and was playing in the wrong bloody position again, Berbatov got the same useless ball feeding that he got at Tottenham, Anderson wasn't even CM, Brown scored an own goal and Carrick could barely play.

It seems United has lost the drive we had last season. Why is it necessary to start over again? Is this team really so useless without Ronaldo? Really gutted.

If this isn't the lineup against Villareal then I just don't know what the hell is wrong with United:

-------------------Foster-------------------
----Brown-----Rio-----Vida------Evra---
-Ronaldo-Anderson-Hargreaves-Nani
-----------------------Rooney--------------
----------Berbatov-------------------------

Subs used: Tevez, Carrick/Fletcher & Rafael

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
fergie- i maybe in no position to criticise him, but my sense tells me that he shld choose tevez or rooney to partner berbatov, and play them as strikers. you either play them as strikers, or drop them to the bench, just dun throw them into the wing.

the players- they slowly took a step back after scoring the first goal and let liverpool into the game, in fact more than into the game, we just let them overtook the game.

VDS- game changing mistake, took away all the momentum

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well its complete rubbish to solely blame Sir Alex. yeah he chose a very attacking line up for the game but he is entitled to make a mistake. This is the time we should support our team and not bash the manager and the players.We performed poorly today but there is always another match ahead.

According to me:

Sir Alex Ferguson ------------>>>>> GOD

·
Registered
10 Posts
The prominent things that i noticed during the game were

1. Rooney not influencing the game because he was being forced to defend more and more because of our midfield becoming slow and scrappy as the game progressed. Also Rooney should have played left wing instead of right.

2. Anderson and Scholes just dont fit together. becuase both are attacking type of players who like to go forward. but neither was doing so in fear of counter attack and hence we were losing possession becuase of longer passes to the forward line.

3. Hargreaves looked like he thought he would just play an easy game. There was no commitment in his tackles when it was needed the most.

4. Tevez and Berbatov have not jelled yet.

5. Giggs has lost his ability to loose his marker becuse of his age. Hence he had no impact as a winger apart from the long range shot.

I think in such a big game we should not have experimented too much. we should either have stuck with the previous starting eleven or atleast played Ronney on the left wing and fletcher or nani on the other wing instead of anderson who is far more effective in the center.

Anyways its a big lesson so early in the season. Lets hope Fergie gets it right next time because we will not have Vidic for the Chelsea game.

Z

·
0 Posts
shakshamboo said:
The prominent things that i noticed during the game were

1. Rooney not influencing the game because he was being forced to defend more and more because of our midfield becoming slow and scrappy as the game progressed. Also Rooney should have played left wing instead of right.

2. Anderson and Scholes just dont fit together. becuase both are attacking type of players who like to go forward. but neither was doing so in fear of counter attack and hence we were losing possession becuase of longer passes to the forward line.

3. Hargreaves looked like he thought he would just play an easy game. There was no commitment in his tackles when it was needed the most.

4. Tevez and Berbatov have not jelled yet.

5. Giggs has lost his ability to loose his marker becuse of his age. Hence he had no impact as a winger apart from the long range shot.

I think in such a big game we should not have experimented too much. we should either have stuck with the previous starting eleven or atleast played Ronney on the left wing and fletcher or nani on the other wing instead of anderson who is far more effective in the center.

Anyways its a big lesson so early in the season. Lets hope Fergie gets it right next time because we will not have Vidic for the Chelsea game.
Good post. Regarding Tevez and Berbatov, correct they haven't gelled but we can't expect them to after just one game, especially when the supply from midfield was so poor today. They had nothing to feed off and therefore didn't have many chances on goal.

Agree about Giggs, I always dread him coming onto the pitch these days. He should have retired gracefully after the Champions League final.

Experimenting was not needed today, 4-4-2 was the way to go with just Tevez OR Rooney playing just behind Berbatov, not both of them

1 - 20 of 92 Posts