Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has warned Cristiano Ronaldo that he is not immune from criticism.

The Portuguese winger has been at fault twice in as many games for goals conceded by United and was benched for Saturday's trip to Sunderland; albeit with Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg with Porto in mind.

Against both Aston Villa and Porto, in the first leg at Old Trafford, he was guilty of frittering away possession and not tracking back in incidents that cost United crucial goals, with the player having faced accusations of sulking in recent weeks.

Ferguson is adamant that Ronaldo's star billing does not get him off the hook and has spoken with his player about not letting his temperament undermine his performances.

"No, I don't accept that he will give goals away because of the player he is. I speak to him about it. I don't accept that from anyone," said Ferguson.

"In European football, in particular, you give the ball away and it takes a long time to get it back. It has always been a big part of our strategy and philosophy in Europe - keeping possession of the ball.

"It's really important. He's not immune from that. He always feels he's not getting the proper protection and I think that maybe in quite a few cases he is right, and a few cases he is not right."

Ferguson claims Ronaldo is often frustrated by what he perceives to be a lack of protection from referees. While accepting this is often the case, he has urged Ronaldo to buckle down and not let grievances affect his game.

"It's hard when a player who wants to entertain all doesn't get everything his way. You can't get everything your own way. He understands that, and there's not a problem with that.

"It's just a frustration that he feels that he doesn't get the decision and he gets upset about it. I think obviously he doesn't enjoy that and he knows he's letting himself down more than anything.

"He holds his hands up, I have had to remind him about that but I'm not getting into what has been said."

skysports.com

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
If this is true, the only thing that surprises me about it is how long it has taken if I'm being totally honest.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Get in there fergie...i love how he said "I don’t accept that from anyone." Maybe now Ronaldo will realised that he as much as he like to believe is no bigger than the club.

No wonder he started tracking back yesterday...and long may it continue.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Rooney's got the best attitude towards football in the squad. What more can you ask for. He wants to play football all the time, doesn't mind where he plays, and recognises the fans, which shows he's down to Earth.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Rooney's got the best attitude towards football in the squad. What more can you ask for. He wants to play football all the time, doesn't mind where he plays, and recognises the fans, which shows he's down to Earth.
Yeah but he makes some bad tackles :yellow: and he even punches the corner flag :eek: :red:
he is also mean to some people :fyou: I reckon we should sell him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Double standards is what it is.
Why? Ronaldo is a **** with no loyalty to anyone but himself. His diving, petulance and constant moaning at his team mates is a joke as well as his refusal to put in a proper shift for the team.

Where on the other hand>>>

Ok, Rooney gets a bit hot headed at times but I wouldnt call it a 'shocking' attitude. He is a bit like Keane and Eric were, when the red mist descends. He was born just to play football and his attitude is commendable. On the other hand, Ronaldo thinks he is immune from work and criticism. Its about time Fergie got tough with him (if you are to believe this story)

Z

·
0 Posts
Why? Ronaldo is a **** with no loyalty to anyone but himself. His diving, petulance and constant moaning at his team mates is a joke as well as his refusal to put in a proper shift for the team.

Where on the other hand>>>

Ok, Rooney gets a bit hot headed at times but I wouldnt call it a 'shocking' attitude. He is a bit like Keane and Eric were, when the red mist descends. He was born just to play football and his attitude is commendable. On the other hand, Ronaldo thinks he is immune from work and criticism. Its about time Fergie got tough with him (if you are to believe this story)
What's loyalty got to do with behaviour on the pitch?

Rooney dives, is petulant and moans at team mates and referees.

Ronaldo does work hard. I refuse to believe that if he tracked back against Villa we wouldn't have conceded. Everytime there's a counter attack he's the one sprinting forward to get on the end of it, that's where I'd prefer him to use his energy and rightly so cos he's cack at defending. Have you ever seen Messi track back?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
What's loyalty got to do with behaviour on the pitch?

Rooney dives, is petulant and moans at team mates and referees.

Ronaldo does work hard. I refuse to believe that if he tracked back against Villa we wouldn't have conceded. Everytime there's a counter attack he's the one sprinting forward to get on the end of it, that's where I'd prefer him to use his energy and rightly so cos he's cack at defending. Have you ever seen Messi track back?
Yes, Guardiola has them working hard as a team when they lose the ball. They all chase back when they can (Eto'o, Henry and Messi) They didnt as much under Rijkaard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts