Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More snippets from that GQ interview
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_4421516,00.html

Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed Peter Kenyon's defection from Manchester United to Chelsea in 2003 by insisting it was a blessing in disguise.

Kenyon replaced Martin Edwards as chief executive of United in August 2000 and much was made of his long-time support of the club.

During his tenure, Kenyon negotiated record sponsorship deals and secured a marketing tie-up with the New York Yankees as well as overseeing the signings of Rio Ferdinand, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Juan Sebastian Veron.

However, the highly-public pursuit of Ronaldinho ended in failure when the player chose to join Barcelona while David Beckham moved to Real Madrid.

After three years, Kenyon chose to move to a similar position at Chelsea under new owner Roman Abramovich with United moving swiftly to replace him with David Gill.

Ferguson, though, is adamant his departure was not a blow.

In an interview with GQ Magazine published in The Times, Ferguson said: "No. Definitely not. Peter Kenyon? He wasn't a loss.

"The best thing that has happened recently has been David Gill."

Since Kenyon moved to Stamford Bridge, United have won both European and domestic titles.

Kenyon was pictured wearing a runners-up medal at the Champions League final in Moscow earlier this year after the Red Devils had edged the penalty shoot-out.

In contrast, Sir Bobby Charlton refused to wear a winners' medal.

Ferguson continued: "Charlton was saying: 'look, this is not my night'.

"'This is the players' night'.

"There would have been a lot of understanding if he had worn the medal because, 50 years on from the Busby Babes, he had every right.

"But he was thinking of the players and the football club.

"And that is Bobby Charlton."

The Scot is set to retire at the end of next season and he admits it is a daunting prospect although he is confident there will be a smooth transition.

"There will be no problem," the 66-year-old went on. "The foundation is here. The morale is here. I am not responsible for everything.

"It's a funny thing, though; the older I get, the more frightened I get of retiring.

"But there will come a time when I clear my desk and someone will take over.

"I hope and expect they will be a formidable person.

"Because this job, believe me, is not easy."

·
Registered
585 Posts
Loathe the Judas moron.

I am so glad he left actually, his behaviour in the CL final was an embaressment to football worldwide

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
littlepat said:
Loathe the Judas moron.

I am so glad he left actually, his behaviour in the CL final was an embaressment to football worldwide
Well said Pat.

and to think that Kenyon was a 'life long' United fan :rolleyes:
he makes me sick.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Just seen his ugly mug on Sky Sport's there now..... what a fool!!

Think's he can make Chelsea the biggest club in the world within 5year's.
Dream on Peter you annoying little Gremlin we all know your full of brown and nobody respect's you!!!!

David Gill has done a good job

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, for a start half the players we went for would end up going somewhere else. Just ask Ronaldinho... :rolleyes:

Being serious though, I'm not exactly surprised at his behaviour in the CL final, considering hes always there, grabbing the limelight with ludicrous statements like "Chelsea will be the biggest club in the World in 5 years time" and dismissing other clubs.

I remember in a magazine just after the Pride of Britain awards, they had the shame of Britain awards, and Peter Kenyon was one, and it summed it up perfectly. It described the contrasting behaviour of the two men (Sir Bobby Charlton and Peter Kenyon) at the Champions League final and at the end it said "This just goes to prove that money does not buy class."

And tbh, I wouldn't think that we were the only set of supporters who hated him.

·
Registered
585 Posts
manutd004, spot on, even though we haven't exactly agreed with certain things in the last few days but spot on. good post.

And you are right, ask any Arsenal fan out there and they loathe him because the slimy twirp was leading the line in tapping up Ashley Cole. He also did his best to get Sven to leave England and manage Chel$ki.

His tansfer dealings were bizarre. Gill is much better. Rumours are still strong that Kenyon knew he would be going to Chelsea and sabotaged the Ronaldinho deal on purpose and something tells me, those rumours wouldn't be far of the truth.

Since Kenyon left, we have won two charity shields, two league titles, one fa cup, one carling cup and one champions league trophy.

Chelsea have won less.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
littlepat said:
manutd004, spot on, even though we haven't exactly agreed with certain things in the last few days but spot on. good post.

And you are right, ask any Arsenal fan out there and they loathe him because the slimy twirp was leading the line in tapping up Ashley Cole. He also did his best to get Sven to leave England and manage Chel$ki.

His tansfer dealings were bizarre. Gill is much better. Rumours are still strong that Kenyon knew he would be going to Chelsea and sabotaged the Ronaldinho deal on purpose and something tells me, those rumours wouldn't be far of the truth.

Since Kenyon left, we have won two charity shields, two league titles, one fa cup, one carling cup and one champions league trophy.

Chelsea have won less.
My first points a bit off-topic, but we've had our disagreement. But I don't hold grudges or go into a huff. So we've just moved on.

On-topic now, and nothing of that sort would surprise me with Kenyon.

And they have won less, but lets think about that for a moment. They won two league titles in a row. Man Utd were in transistion, and Liverpool and Arsenal were off-the-pace a long way as well.

Of course, its still an acheivement but not as big a one as others who have won the league.

Am I just being disrespectful there, or do I have a point? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts