Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes he possesses the best squad in the Premier League.

After a slow start to the season,The Red Devils have now hit their stride and a run of only one defeat in 23 matches in all competitions sees them topping the table.

In addition, United's defence has been impregnable of late after going a record-breaking 13 league matches without conceding a single goal.

After being questioned on Ferguson's best side, the vastly-experienced Scottish tactician said he does not have a favourite starting XI, insisting that it is now a squad game.

With United going strong in every competition this season, the Old Trafford chief believes he possesses the strongest squad in England's top flight.

"People sometimes ask me what I consider to be my best side, and the short answer is that I don't have one," said Ferguson.
Game-to-game basis

"I select the team that I consider is the best for each particular match. I have got a great many factors in mind, ranging from the tactical to who needs a rest and who we play in the next game.

"I can give you my best 14 or 15, but better than that, all I can say is that is a squad game and that we have a damn fine squad. In fact it is the best.

"Everyone has done so well and rallied around when we have had injuries that I'm beginning to dread picking the team.

"I feel guilty when I am forced to leave someone out who has not only done nothing wrong but who has played exceptionally well. It puts the club in a strong position, of course, but it doesn't make the manager's job very easy."

Business end

The 2008/09 campaign is now at the business end of the season and Ferguson is pleased his troops are showing the grit and determination needed to retain their Premier League title.

"We're at the time of the season where you expect the players to kick on," he continued. "We've seen it over the years.

"The present group I've got seem to have a gear where they can find. For instance, when we went to Stoke it was lively pitch and we'd just got back from Japan but we scraped a result because we never gave in.

"It was an important marker to lay down and, having come back from the World Club Cup in Japan, we needed to win that game. Once we won that, we've gone on."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4921764,00.html

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
good read mate.......think we have the best squad in europe at the moment and by my reckoning this IS the best squad we have ever had under SAF

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
ya i think its the best squad we ever had even better than 1999 :eek: because look at the injury crisis we had a few weeks back when we had up to 10 players missing and we were still getting results

·
Registered
104 Posts
We certainly have the best squad in England.

That said I'd still like to see us send out our best 11 every match, injuries and suspensions permitting, rather than have 3 or 4 changes every single game.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
The 1999 squad still remains something special tho, no matter how good and deep our current squad is. We have the best squad, yes indeed, nothing can beat that of 1999 tho, not talking about quality only here.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
The 1999 squad still remains something special tho, no matter how good and deep our current squad is. We have the best squad, yes indeed, nothing can beat that of 1999 tho, not talking about quality only here.
what if we win the quadruple ;) no but i get what your saying but quality wise and strength wise it is better IMO and the league today is of a lot higher standard

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
by far the best in england. think of chelsea and pool if they have a fully fit starting 11, wat have they got on the bench to change a game? (apart from splinters!)

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
cantos red army said:
what if we win the quadruple ;) no but i get what your saying but quality wise and strength wise it is better IMO and the league today is of a lot higher standard
True .. but i don`t know, even tho i remember very little but that squad still remains in my heart and mind.

·
23,699 Posts
Best squad in England in terms of balance and depth but I don't think we are at our best yet to pip Barca. They are still the team to beat in Europe this season. As of now...

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
versa said:
Best squad in England in terms of balance and depth but I don't think we are at our best yet to pip Barca. They are still the team to beat in Europe this season. As of now...
BUt we pipped them lat season. When it comes to Europe it comes down
to the game itself. Aometimes the width of the post, a bad ref decision or a bit of luck
will decide the outcome. United and Barca are the 2 best in Europe but no one
knows what will really happen in Europe this season.

Article was a good read though. Interesting to see Fergie saying he doesnt
have a best 11 and that he dreads picking the team. I think leaving Park
out of the CL final still affects him.

·
Registered
629 Posts
By far the best squad in England with a great mix of youth and expierence. Also the youngsters like Rafael, Evans and Welbeck have really been impressive so our squad does look to be really good. for some years to come. We certainly have one of the best squads in Europe.

·
23,699 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
BUt we pipped them lat season. When it comes to Europe it comes down to the game itself. Aometimes the width of the post, a bad ref decision or a bit of luck will decide the outcome. United and Barca are the 2 best in Europe but no one knows what will really happen in Europe this season.
Of course if we do meet them again, we can always kick the ball away, anywhere will do, at Nou Camp and finish them off at OT. :D

I was referring to the overall footballing performance. I think Barca is still the standard bearer this season. From a neutral point of view, they are such a joy to watch but not necessarily so for us. :p

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It certainly is mr ferguson. What a manager he is, i beat rafa benitez says something next week ''my squad is the best'' when really he means 3rd or 4th best lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts