Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/12/02/manual_142853.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits he is unlikely to sign any players when the transfer window reopens, but expects cash-rich neighbours Manchester City to be busy.

Ferguson, who has been linked with a move for Serbian youngster Zoran Tosic, insists there will be no new faces arriving in January.

The United chief says he is happy with the squad at his disposal, but he believes City, backed by the Abu Dhabi United Group, will be flexing their muscles.

"There definitely won't be anyone coming here but I'm pretty sure City will do some business," Ferguson told the club's official magazine Inside United.

"You don't talk about having all this money and then not use it. They'll have plenty of ideas - the fact that they tried to buy four or five players in an hour on deadline day gives you an indication of what they want to do.

"But at the end of the day you can't buy them all."

- This is quite puzzling, because I thought Tosic was coming in January. Maybe the work permit was secured with a summer transfer in mind?

Or do you guys reckon fergie is creating smoke screens?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The article on SkySports does make it seem as if Tosic isn't coming in January. I support his decision though, our squad is decent enough, with Scholes coming back.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If we are to get one or few new names it would be in the midfield. But I prefer summer signings and since there's no panic to get a midfielder I think its wise to keep a low profile on the transfer market and only make a move if the right player come out for sale to the right price.

·
23,699 Posts
RedForceRising said:
This is quite puzzling, because I thought Tosic was coming in January. Maybe the work permit was secured with a summer transfer in mind?

Or do you guys reckon fergie is creating smoke screens?[/COLOR]
I am as perplexed as you are, especially after he had personally attended the hearing. Perhaps you were right that it was meant for the summer? Or even a smoke screen as you proposed.

That wily old fox... :rolleyes: ;)

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
last summer Fergie said we will sign 4 players but what did we do ?

sign one player :rolleyes:

Fergie is playing with the press again :p

but if its true am afraid it means Tosic is coming in Summer 09

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think he'll wanna save money for the summer, see how other players around Europe perform this season, and how well we will do. With the likes of Rafael coming up the ranks and other young talented players also, Fergie has alot of options.
Should be interesting, but City will go crazy. Bad thing for the game thought, not what football is all about really. If the owners dictate to Hughes which players they want, it is nothing like before, where the managers had complete say. Money doesn't make a team. You may have the greatest players in the world, but they could all play terrible together!
Look at the England team! :D haha only messing!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that he WILL move for Tosic in Jan, but that he just wanted to take the spotlight away from that transfer, seeing as it isn't done and dusted yet.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
hmmm kinda glad by this if true. i mean sure its a buzz to sign some new players but were a football club not a circus we aint chelsea. i look at our team and think wev got the players to succeed. this is pretty much the team that won the double par berba and manucho. dont think we need importing in mid season just when were be kicking off. stick with what we got till the summer and if required so spend BIG. few players id like in the summer tho :p

·
Registered
736 Posts
Before Vidic and Evra signed for ManUtd couple of year before.....

SAF said the same thing, "No player this January".......

After the January transfer window close, we capture two new face..........

It's Vidic and Evra......Naughty naughty Ferguson !!

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
I never really expected anyone to come in janurary.

I still think Tosic will turn up and that other kid along with him can't remember his name tho.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Tosic and Ljajic
I think they might come.. .though im not sure.
Possibly SAF means no big name signing ?

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I heard tosic will remain on loan at partizan, and will come to us in the summer, as for that ljajic kid, I think I heard something about him coming until after he gets his first national team cap.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thought Tosic was a done deal for Jan? Fergie said he'll compete for a 1st team spot straight away! what's the story with Tosic so???

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I think that he WILL move for Tosic in Jan, but that he just wanted to take the spotlight away from that transfer, seeing as it isn't done and dusted yet.
I agree.

I'd also like one other player, perhaps Schwiensteiger or Villa if indeed they are available. But, its harder to sign a player in January, and most of the time it means that players are cup-tied which would limit their contribution for the first half season here.

But we would sign a player for a long-term investment, not just for half a season, so if we could get a player in January, why not?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sownak27 said:
Tosic and Ljajic
I think they might come.. .though im not sure.
Possibly SAF means no big name signing ?
i seen this the other day on mutv,this Ljaiic is not done yet,but he is meant to be speicial :cool: ,Tosic a winger in meant to be here in January,both Serbs...watch this space,apparently hand picked by Sir Alec...:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
did find this too have a look around some site.....:D

Manchester United have been granted a work permit for young Serbian winger Zoran Tosic.

The Serbian played in the European U21 championships.

Sir Alex Ferguson attended a hearing for the 21-year-old on Friday morning and emerged with positive news, meaning Tosic will sign from Partizan Belgrade in January.

United have not confirmed the fee they have agreed for Tosic, although they have been looking at the wide man for some time.

The move is believed to be in the region of £8 million and the left-sided player, who would appear to be a natural successor to Ryan Giggs, has nine goals in 20 games this season for his club.

United are also reportedly interested in 17-year-old Adem Ljajic - an attacking midfielder dubbed the 'Serbian Kaka' - as he was on trial at Old Trafford earlier this season.

However, the club rejected reports that both players were due to sign for United last week, although the revelations that Tosic has been granted a work permit now suggest otherwise.

"It is not true that Tosic and Ljajic have already signed for Manchester United," Partizan sports director Ivan Tomic said on Wednesday. "It is simple, there has been no direct contact or official offer coming from England.

"Of course, it would be nice if they want some of our players, but it's not true."

Tosic, too, insisted he knew nothing about a deal, claiming: "I have nothing new to add on that subject, as I contacted my managers and they told me to keep my focus on playing and to stick to our mutual agreement which is that they will not inform me about anything until things move on to a much clearer situation."

With his future apparently now lying at Old Trafford, Tosic can expect to link up with fellow Serbian Nemanja Vidic.

The midfielder has appeared 12 times for his country and can play on either flank, having also starred for Serbia's Under-21 side.
[un quote]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts