Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From The DailyMail

Atletico Madrid are keen on signing Manchester United defender Gerard Pique. The Spaniard, 21, is also wanted by Italian giants Juventus but would prefer a return to his native country.

However, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has ruled out letting Gerard Pique to leave Old Trafford.

The Spanish defender has been linked with a move way from United when the transfer window reopens in January, with Atletico Madrid & Juventus the latest clubs credited with an interest in the highly-rated stopper.

Pique spent last season on loan at Real Zaragoza and impressed a number of clubs during his time in La Liga.

The 20-year-old, who scored his first goal for United in last year's September UEFA Champions League victory over Dynamo Kiev, is held in high regard by Ferguson and he insists the youngster is going nowhere.

Not Surprised

"I am not surprised people are saying they are interested in him," said Ferguson.

"Zaragoza tried to buy him in the summer. They offered a lot of money for him. But no. The boy's future is here.

"I have no fears for him. The course we have set is a good one and there is absolutely no intention of letting him go."

Ferguson believes Pique understands that he will have to wait for his chance at Old Trafford, but is confident the young Spaniard will make his mark at the club.

"Gerard understands perfectly well the form of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, who are tremendous players, has been so good, he is going to have to wait a bit," added Ferguson.

"But waiting is not a problem for a 20-year-old. He will have many opportunities to play when I need to rest defenders and I have the great option of being able to play him in midfield or at right-back."

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
The problem is even when Rio/Vidic gets injured Fergie chooses to play Brown over Pique. With Brown more or less signaling his desire to go in search of a better paycheck Pique should be first choice backup for Rio & Vidic. I mean there is O'Shea but he's a better midfielder than defender.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
mm hes a class player yeah but he needs to be playing more offten i cant see him getting that with our steady back four

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he is a good player and if fergie says he is good then he must be.....but we have to see him play more often and see if we think the same as fergie does.....
he should stay put for 1 more year and give him more games and if he plays well keep him or else sell him....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Natalie said:
mm hes a class player yeah but he needs to be playing more offten i cant see him getting that with our steady back four
He will have his chance as we do need to rest players... If we can claim the title in like a win against Arsenal? I think SAF will play him for the rest of the fixture for the EPL. Seen him on loan, great player who has already play against the like of Real, Sevilla and barcelona in La Liga...:)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We cannot sell Pique! He is our future! I also believe we should of stuck with Rossi..he would of came in handy when Rooney broke his foot and Ole retired and when Tevez needed a rest and because Saha is always injured. I would rather let him travel to Rome than Welbeck - not because he is bad, but because Rossi has more experience and is older..if rio or vida gets injured like they did last season pique will be needed and very important imo...umm yeah I agree with the Brown thing...when a cb does get injured or rested why not Pique? Well maybe because Brown's nautral position is cb and O'shea is more comfortable playing rb than Pique...hmm up too Fergie lol I think the fact that they got eliminated from the League Cup so early was a blow for them but next season they should get it right.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pique isn ready yet, he should be on the bench on brought on when we're winning games comfortably , i think Fergie should have given him more game time, we dont want a repeat of what happened last year against Milan!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
eoininho said:
Pique isn ready yet, he should be on the bench on brought on when we're winning games comfortably , i think Fergie should have given him more game time, we dont want a repeat of what happened last year against Milan!
Hmm the Milan thing happend because Rio and Vidic were injured and we had Heinze partner Brown which was awful and Kaka made us look like a sunday league defence :( Evra jumping on Hienze also did not hep :confused:

Pique at this time was playing first team football for Real Zaragoza which did very well in their domestic season and he even scored on his debut...he currently has the same amount of goals as Kaka in the Champions League this season lol :p

·
23,699 Posts
I am so glad that Fergie has boldly resisted overtures of "a lot of money" to retain Pique.

I am sick and tired of hearing about some young, promising players that were praised to heaven by Fergie, made us excited all over for a while about the future but only to be released and sold to other clubs thereafter. What fer?

And the fact still remains that since the famous Fergie's Fledgings came through in the early 90s to confound Hansen's infamous you-can't-win-it with-kids theory, wrong, hypothesis, we have not had any real bunch of youngsters seriously breaking through. The last 2 from that era, Scholes and Giggs, are already approaching the twilight of their wonderful career. Who's next is an embarassing question. Brown? O'Shea? Simpson?... Nah, you can't really classify them as a core bunch, can you?

Just look at the First XI now. How many are bought off the shelves and how many actually born and bred through the Academy? Don't get me wrong now. I am not so nationalistic that our future players must be from local production. But having invested in the Academy to train and groom the promising young players, what is really the point then of releasing them almost one by one?

By all means, we cannot and must not compromise the success on the field. But to balance success on the field and the need to raise our own home-bred core bunch of talents (including foreigners coming through the Academy), where do we then draw the line? Is it the quality of our young players just not being good enough these years? Something wrong with the Academy? Or is it just simply lack of opportunities (or belief) on the part of Fergie eg will Campbell, Wellbeck etc actually come through the ranks?... I have no answer to all these questions but am tempted to be more inclined to the latter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts