Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has praised referee Rob Styles for admitting he got it wrong at the weekend.

The official controversially awarded the Red Devils a penalty against Bolton when Jlloyd Samuel tackled Cristiano Ronaldo.

Replays showed Samuel clearly won the ball, a decision that left Wanderers manager Gary Megson less than amused.

However, after reviewing the footage Styles admitted he was wrong, a decision Ferguson has backed.
Different light

"It's good that Rob's done that. I think it presents him in a different light," said the Scottish tactician.

"It shows character. It presents him that he's big enough to do that. So I think he takes all the credit for that."

However, rather than punishing Styles for his mistake he has been awarded a Premier League game this coming weekend.

Under the self-regulation policy of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the body responsible for top referees, officials who make mistakes often miss out on refereeing a Premier League match the following weekend.

That has not happened in this case as referees' chief Keith Hackett has decided to back Styles, and he will be in charge for Tottenham versus Hull on Sunday.

No complacency

Meanwhile, Ferguson has admitted he has learned from past mistakes and will not field a weakened side in United's UEFA Champions League clash against Aalborg this week.

"I don't have any fears about complacency with this side," he continued.

"But a couple of years ago we made a mistake with the team against Copenhagen because we were in a comfortable position and ended up scrapping to qualify.

"This time I will play my strongest team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4216238,00.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
if more refs came out and admitted mistakes instead of saying nothing then there would be more respect for them. after all there only human apparently

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Referees need to do this more often. It was a bad mistake and had it been Bolton who were awarded the penalty I would have been furious with Rob Styles. The least he can do is apologise.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
glad to see he offered up an apology, the right thing to do and actually earns him some respect back, but still was an awful decision considering his position.
samuel must be kicking himself...one of the seasons best defensive, possibly goal saving tackles -a moment of brilliance and it helps united to 3 points, don't think the apology will go down well there tho.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
He should came outafter the match and admit on national TV and said he was wrong and would set a benchmark with other refs who has ****ed up with major decisions!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
CaptainRoyKeane said:
He should came outafter the match and admit on national TV and said he was wrong and would set a benchmark with other refs who has ****ed up with major decisions!
lol agreed there tho to be honest they would be on tv after every match this season never seen such a catalogue of errors and from the experienced guys aswell.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Its good that hes apologised.

There are plenty of refs who, in his position, wouldn't have came out and offered an apology. It may be no consolation to Bolton, but its really the only thing he can do.

And I don't agree with referees talking after the game. Yes, it may seem the best thing to do.

But people complain when the refs don't go around their work quietly, and they want to be the star of the show, and this doesn't help matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts