Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie Salutes 'Refreshing' Rooney

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Wayne Rooney's attitude to the game and spoken of his delight at Edwin Van der Sar's decision to re-sign.

If everyone played in the spirit of Wayne Rooney, football would be all the better for it, according to Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Scot has paid tribute to the way the England striker approaches games, reacts to any abuse he gets from the terraces and, above all, strives to win.

"Wayne has a wonderful heart for the game," said Fergie ahead of Sunday's game against Everton, Rooney's former club.

"Every time the crowd roared at Liverpool last week, he got a free-kick given against him. It was ridiculous really but he still has this fantastic enthusiasm to play, no matter what the circumstances.

"It is unusual to see that in such a young player. In a way, it refreshes you and gives you hope the game is going the right way."

Talking On The Pitch

The United boss will hope for a win in Sunday's game at Old Trafford to put the week's controversial off-the-field events behind them.

It is being widely reported that Fergie read the riot act to senior players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs, as well as event organiser Rio Ferdinand, after the club's christmas party ended with teenage defender Jonny Evans being arrested on suspicion of rape.

Asked what he said to the players, Fergie kept quiet. "Why would I say anything?" he said. "Alex Ferguson has been dealing with situations like this for 21 years and I know exactly what we do. I will not be guided or instructed by anyone. It is a club matter and we will carry on the way we have always done."

Edwin Extends Stay

In brighter news, United have been boosted by goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar's decision to sign a one-year contract extension. "Edwin's consistency and experience has been a great help to this club," said Fergie of the veteran Dutchman. "He is number one at the moment, so he has a chance of being number one next season.

"But you cannot guarantee players positions and tell them they are going to be in the team. Edwin will want to be number one but Ben Foster will be back and I am sure he will want to be number one too. That is great competition."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts