Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
stam could tackle a steam train and come off best

My top 3

1. Stam
2. Vidic - The iron curtain lives on at United.
3. Bruce - How this guy never pulled on an England shirt remains a complete mystery

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
true, but now i think ferdinand can change everything, maybe one day ferguson will come out and say that he is one of the best Centre back

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
reddwarf said:
Stam was a terrific defender and selling him was a mistake but this creates an interesting debate. Who is the best United defender during the Ferguson era?

I reckon Rio has to be a contender.
rio is the contender - vida has become one too....give him a few more years and you'll see the best ever i reckon.... stam was awful when he first came , he was about to become the biggest flop ever but then he became the best ever . i rate stam , rio , vida - in that order . but as i said - vida has barely had a single mistake and he's aiming for that number 1 spot . he will overatke rio in years to come imo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jaap had everything that you could want in a centre back. He was quick, strong, could head the ball, tackle, was an excellent reader of the game and had such a presence on the pitch.

He could play against any type of striker and it's just a pity we only had his services for just under three and a half years. Had Jaap played at United for 10 years, we may well have been talking about him being our best centre back we have ever had at the club.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
it don't take long for you guys to forget does it pallister and mcgrath were better centre backs than all others mentioned.to mention rio and vidic before the above is an insult to common sense, rio and vidic are top class defenders but the other 2 were superb .
a lot of the young fella's on this forum can't go back 3 years into utds history so don't know about our greats from the recent past , utds team from 94 would easily beat todays team , i think most older utd fans would agree ? please let us know.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
martin buchan or rio for me.
buchan was a great captain and the coolest centrre half under pressure we have ever had

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
sweet fa said:
it don't take long for you guys to forget does it pallister and mcgrath were better centre backs than all others mentioned.to mention rio and vidic before the above is an insult to common sense, rio and vidic are top class defenders but the other 2 were superb .
a lot of the young fella's on this forum can't go back 3 years into utds history so don't know about our greats from the recent past , utds team from 94 would easily beat todays team , i think most older utd fans would agree ? please let us know.
I think the '94 team was better but the '08 squad is far superior.
im delighted you mentioned McGrath and Pally of course. McGrath was the
most naturally gifted defender of his generation. Its just that the drinking
let him down a lot.

He is the reason I started to support United along with
Kevin Moran (who received over 100 stitches in his face and head while playing
for United). Stretty also mentions Martin Buchan who was as cool as a cucumber.
Most people who supported United back then rate him as one of the very best.

Stam was a beast and I think we could have got more out of him.....Its tough to
pick one over the years but the following deserve a mention as United's
greatest centre half: (in no particular order)

Edwards (cos he'd play anywhere)
McGrath
Buchan
Foulkes
Stiles
Stam
Bruce
Pally
Rio
Vidic
Moran

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
sweet fa said:
i thought of pallister but i saw him play only a couple of matches so i can't remember as good as i would have liked....anyway - i rate footballer today maybe a bit higher than 10-15, 20 years ago because the tempo of the game has been raised, the new tricks have been introduced and stuff...I know that those foobtallers who played 20 years ago would probably adapt to the regime today but I can't talk about something i only heard about, and haven't seen with my own eyes...so....

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i agree the current squad is far better than 94's , but the best 11 would not live with the team of 94 in my opinion. of course we all have our favourites and it impossible to pick utds best ever 11, about 6 pick themselves then its down to us individuals to get confused.
but most of utds teams have been very entertaining to watch and try to attack at every opportunity , i guess thats why we're all hooked by them.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts