Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique are staying at Old Trafford.

Both players excelled away on-loan last season, with Rossi helping Parma stay in Serie A and Pique attracting comparisons with Fernando Hierro while with Real Zaragoza.

Ferguson told United's official website. "The lads going away proved themselves.

"Giuseppe scored nine goals in 16 matches for Parma and the consensus is that he kept them up. Everyone says that.

"Gerard played 24 games for Zaragoza and did exceptionally well. We got all the videos of the players and watched what they did in training. They will certainly come back.

"Hopefully now we have a strong enough pool of players. That's one of the reasons I was keen to get the young lads who were away on loan last year back at the club.

"They will develop better with us. They may play more regularly away on loan, but training with us and being part of the squad brings them on immeasurably."

Taken from tribalfootball.com

Dont know about you guys but I am definitely cheered up, two great young players with great potential who showed they can do the business in tough leagues. We definitely dont want to become a club that sell off our best young talent and keeping these two adds a depth to our squad that was sadly lacking in 2003-06.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite strong interest in United youngsters Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique, Sir Alex Ferguson wants to keep the pair at Old Trafford next season.

Rossi and Pique both shone during loan spells with Parma and Real Zaragoza last season. The Italian and Spanish clubs have both shown an interest in making the deals permanent, but Sir Alex has so far resisted their advances.

"The lads going away proved themselves," said the boss. "Giuseppe scored nine goals in 16 matches for Parma and the consensus is that he kept them up. Everyone says that.

"Gerard played 24 games for Zaragoza and did exceptionally well. We got all the videos of the players and watched what they did in training. They will certainly come back."

It will further bolster United's squad. As will the likes of, among others, Jonny Evans, Danny Simpson, Phil Bardsley and Chris Eagles, who all had loan spells away from the club. They could find themselves more involved in the first-team squad this season.

"Hopefully we now have a strong enough pool of players," adds Sir Alex. "That's one of the reasons I was keen to get the young lads who were away on loan last year back at the club. They will develop better with us. They may play more regularly away on loan, but training with us and being part of the squad brings them on immeasurably."

With United flat out in the title race last season, injuries proved troublesome towards the end of the campaign, particularly in the Champions League, where the Reds just ran out of steam.

"The really big test last season was when we got the injuries in March," says the boss. "When we got to the AC Milan game, we didn't have enough freshness in the team to prepare for a semi final. That was a blow. We hope now that if we do get those injuries again, this time we have better back-up."

Newer quote from www.manutd.com

Probably that bit more reliable alright....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm chuft. The boys are quality players and i was dreading the prospect of losing them as much as i was looking forward to new arrivals. I'm hoping Pique gets more games this year, though they would probably be at right-back while nev is injured but he's played there before and can play all across the back. Rossi can play a good part in our squad this year but fergie has to trust him more, but i trust fergie's judgement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know where Rossi will fit in. Not too sure about Pique, not seen too much of him, but I am reliably told he's a good player.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
ledieu7 said:
I don't know where Rossi will fit in. Not too sure about Pique, not seen too much of him, but I am reliably told he's a good player.
Same here. I've heard a lot, but I haven't got to see anything of them. I'd be intersted to see some clips or a match showing what they've been up to :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thomas G said:
**** Rossi, but good news on Pique.
Rossi physically not tough enough to play in EPL....
Training and body-building required.....
Hope he can have rooney body...

Pique...... juz very very natural central defender....Lock down skill is very good when playing in zaragoza.......
He read the game play not juz defend the game...... like Mr.Browning and Mr. Silves......:p

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Both Rossi and Pique deserve their chance.

Rossi does need to bulk up but his finishing is excellent and he is a wonderful future prospect.

Pique is an O'Shea type player in that he can play across the defence and in central midfield so will be a useful member of the squad.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ledieu7 said:
At this moment of time, Rossi is probably our 3rd choice striker behind Rooney and Saha. And since Saha is injured quite often I can see Rossi getting quite a few games and I have no doubt that he will impress.

Pique is a very good defender. He does lack pace though and I feel thats essential for a centre back playing in the premiership. But he has a decent general reading of the game, he'll be alright.

I can see rossi getting lots of games but I feel its going to be harder for Pique. Managers love to have stability at the back and when everyone is fit, the back four pick themselves really. Brown and Silvestre would be ahead of him as well so his chances are going to be limited.

But like Sir Alex already mentioned, they would definitely get more games if they got sent on loan but having them train with the likes of Giggs, scholes, Ferdinand and co is going to aid their development more. Being at United and training day in day out in front of the gaffer is most suitable thing for them this season.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Oh Rossi is only our 2nd natural goal scorer along with Saha. Rooney, Ronaldo and the others needs a few more chances to put one away. So I really hope Rossi shows he's a man for United.

·
Registered
406 Posts
spellbound said:
Oh Rossi is only our 2nd natural goal scorer along with Saha. Rooney, Ronaldo and the others needs a few more chances to put one away. So I really hope Rossi shows he's a man for United.
Saha is a very good striker but he aint a natural goal scorer. Ole, Rossi and even Scholes are.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think a lot of people are down on Rossi cos they havent seen much of him. He is a quick, deceptively athletic and strong, clinical striker. There is no denying he is not the biggest guy but it never stopped the likes of Owen etc.

I hadnt seen much of him in action up until recently either but from what I saw of his work with Parma last year and footage of his days in the reserves, I would say he has definitely earned the right to play for his place in the first team squad, the thought of him leaving without ever having got the chance to do so was worrying me.

I fancy him to be involved a fair bit in the early stages of the news season, especially in Carling Cup etc but also as a sub in the PL. With the extra competition for places now, the pressure is definitely on him to perform when he gets his opportunity.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Obviously he wasn't impressing the manager.

And if he cant get ahead of Sibierski, he isn't gonna get ahead of anyone at United.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts