Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Jose Mourinho's shock link with the Manchester United hotseat, a Chelsea source has confirmed that the former Blues boss loves United, whilst Sir Alex Ferguson is seemingly ready to retire.

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho recently admitted that he plans to return to the English Premier League, leading The Mirror to sensationally link the Portuguese gaffer with an eventual move to Manchester United.

The Old Trafford club moved quickly to play down the reports, but now the link has been strengthened. For starters, a high ranking Stamford Bridge official has revealed that 'The Special One' has always fancied being the Red Devils' ringmaster.

Asked about the rumours by the News of the World, the official revealed: "Jose always made his love of United very clear. In fact, he was obsessed with them and talked about being in charge of the biggest club in the world.

"He wanted to test himself in Italy when he left the Stamford Bridge, but it was obvious to most people he wanted to come back here with United to haunt us."

Hungry young guns such as Blackburn boss Paul Ince and Manchester City gaffer Mark Hughes have admitted that the Theatre of Dreams is their ideal managerial destination, but United could go for an elite coach such as Mourinho.

However, the Sir Alex Ferguson era would obviously have to end first before a new regime can be installed. Luckily for 'obsessed' Jose, Fergie admits that the end is nigh.

"I won't be doing a Bobby Robson and be a manager when I am 70," The 66-year-old told the Mail on Sunday. "It is just knowing when to quit.

"However, Football is like a drug which is difficult to give up and I'm hooked."

If the Mourinho prospect interests the Old Trafford board, perhaps they'll stage an intervention with football junkie Sir Alex.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
omg....this is all coming to quickly.....dont was SAF to leave.....mourinho did a great job at chelsea but look how the press treated them,how the mentality of them against the world was installed,dont want that to happen to us...but we'll wait and see.....would so much prefer sparky as boss though..

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
When Fergie does hang it up...he'll have a few names in mind that he'd like to see
take over, for sure..

I'd bet a lot of money that Jose would be on the list....he's got Fergies robust
style of management and handles the media well. I wouldn't be surprised if he did
take over United.

Only problem is....would he be a long term guy?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Om my thougt, this guy is great as a manager. Don't really care about what he says in the press cause they will anyway twist it up and make it bad.

Mourinho did a great job with Chelsea and when he left, the team was still good. If we could get him it's a plus

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
jerrakos said:
i would be very angry if this happened
i hate the guy
I like his way of managing and training. Sure I know what he said in the press. BUt SAF Uses the press to his advantage too. SAF STill has 3 years in him

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Keano! said:
When Fergie does hang it up...he'll have a few names in mind that he'd like to see
take over, for sure..

I'd bet a lot of money that Jose would be on the list....he's got Fergies robust
style of management and handles the media well. I wouldn't be surprised if he did
take over United.

Only problem is....would he be a long term guy?
Are we talking about long term-Fergie style with 20+ years?
Or do you mean long term-voyeur style with 10 year-ish ...
or is a modern long term with 2-5 years?

If you mean Fergie style. NO, there's not many who can last 20 years at the same job. Fergie is not alone to stay more then 20 years but I think he's alone to have been at the absolute top. Two others comes to my mind, Guy Roux who spent a forever in Auxerre. If Im not wrong I think he started to be the manager in the 60's but I think he's not been the manager all the time but Im pretty sure he were the Auxerre manager for more then 20 years before he retired a few years ago. The other I think of is Dario Gradi at Crewe. He were the manager from early 80's but I have to say I dont know if he's still the manager of Crewe or if he retired too.

And Moaninho. Well...not sure if the love is mutual. I wouldnt want to see him as our new manager taking over after Ferguson. I wouldnt stop loving United but the days would be a lot harder for me. But I survived so far with the horrible owners I guess I would live through a period of Moaninho too...but as I said, the days would be a lot harder to enjoy.:D

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I don't really know what people's problems are with Jose.

He has an arrogant swagger about him, which made him the manager he is.
He worked wonders at Porto, and did well to make Chelsea gel as they did.
Works well in the press, and is always a laugh.
Chelsea aren't really "enemies", they're just another club. So no real traitor, a la Heinze.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Provided he doesn't change our style of playing, I'd wouldn't mind. I always found him too be quite amusing. He knows how too take the focus of his players and onto himself.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
NateR said:
Provided he doesn't change our style of playing, I'd wouldn't mind. I always found him too be quite amusing. He knows how too take the focus of his players and onto himself.
Good shout, he shove his 4-5-1/4-3-3 up his arse.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
He's the only one who could ever replace Fergie, any1 who thinks it would be a bad thing is plain stupid, the guys a winner and thats exactly what we need!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
bring me league title more than liverpool then ill
give him more respect.. but i really dont want our
boss to retire.. that would make me sad for long time

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i believe its certain that mourinho will replace fergie , the guy is a born winner and fergie holds him in high esteem that says it all.
mourinho would love to manage utd he keeps saying he will return to the premiership and the greatest club will soon be looking for a top manager its all set up to happen !

·
23,699 Posts
There are really only 2 alternatives; all else being equal:

a. Go for a result-oriented manager like Mourinho (not many though) to see success probably sooner. [The professional approach]

b. Go for a feel-good old boy (or someone linked to United) like Keano, Hughes, Cantona etc but probably have to wait longer to see success. [The sentimental approach]

I am indifferent between the two.

I don't mind Mourinho for the results all fans want (as long as he does not stifle our style of play, killing our tradition) but I also don't mind waiting a bit longer upon an old boy. The compensation by a better feel makes up for it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
maybe because he says his heart is man utd one day, he may treat the club and press more sensibly. I think he is a great manager, i wouldnt like to see boring football SAF is the Godfather, a legend, but if SAF left my first choice would be Capello then Mourinho aslong as mourinho stops showing his ego. I think mourinhos ego give a negative wibe to players, this is the prem and the press like to put egos away

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i would actually love it

the only guy id like us to have par fergie. this man is a genius and has a character to fit manchester united. could be a legend for us.even when he was at chelsea i said id take him at united after fergie.

very much doubt this is true tho

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You wonder: if this campaign does not turn out to be the success that everyone expected, whether it will hasten SAF decision. He doesn't look like he's having as much fun as he did last year.

Mourinho would be the obvious choice for many reasons, assuming the 'love for United' speculation about him is accurate:

- he is a proven winner
- he is a media giant, almost bigger than life, that will keep United in the headlines
- his appointment would likely forestall any mass exodus of high profile players that some are predicting when SAF retires
- his appointment would be seen around the world (mans, media, players) as a move to keep United at the top

The key in all of this, for the glazers at least, is to keep the value of United moving upwards. If the value of the club starts to drop significantly, they may be in real trouble.

As for my opinion, there are some cons - style of football and length of commitment being the most important. But I believe, if he wants the job, it's his.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The one thing i worry about is his playing style, he loves the 4-3-3 which wouldnt go down well with Rooney Tevez etc also another thing to think about is how him and Ronaldo do not get along anymore, but hey he'll probably be gone by the time Mourinho Gets the job, i think he'd be a good replacement for Fergie though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts