Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview for the New Statesman, Sir Alex Ferguson has conceded that his biggest mistake as manager of Manchester United was allowing defender Jaap Stam to leave the club, while his biggest regret was not signing former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne. (The Times)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Yep, it's a well-known story. Fergie talks about it in his autobiography.

Fergie thought he had Gazza signed until Terry Venables gazumped him by promising Gazza that if he moved to Spurs he would soon be in the England squad.

Considering Fergie's clamp down on the drinking culture at United you have to wonder whether things could have turned out differently for the footballing genius that was Gazza.

His personal problems are well-documented but what a player he was. He would have been immense for us.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
pity really he signed for the glamour of a london team like spurs. maybe under the teachings of fergie and with robbo to look out for him he could have become an even better player and not have his current problems.

RE Newstatesman interview: £3 for the magazine to read whole interview

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
I know Gazza is messed up by more than just drink but I honestly think, if Fergie had signed him back in '87 or whatever, he could have really helped him. He wouldn't have gone off the rails, or maybe not as early as he did, and perhaps would have been an even better, not to mention more successful, footballer under Fergie's leadership.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
gazza told fergie he was signing for utd ,then fergie received a phone call while on holiday saying that he had signed for spurs ,because spurs bought gazza's parents a house.
i think gazza regrets it far more than fergie when you consider how things have turned out.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thats about the one milionth time i've heard that... Fergie said it in his book about 10 years ago so its not 'news'

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Didn't he say ages and ages ago his biggest regret in football was failing to sign him?

...as said, its been done to death season by season though

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I know Gazza is messed up by more than just drink but I honestly think, if Fergie had signed him back in '87 or whatever, he could have really helped him. He wouldn't have gone off the rails, or maybe not as early as he did, and perhaps would have been an even better, not to mention more successful, footballer under Fergie's leadership.
Good point. The whole gazza story is sad, but if he had one to United his life could have turned out so much differently. I guess we will never know.
But if he had Fergie keeping an eye over him rather than living it up in London he could have been twice the player.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Good point. The whole gazza story is sad, but if he had one to United his life could have turned out so much differently. I guess we will never know.
But if he had Fergie keeping an eye over him rather than living it up in London he could have been twice the player.
I try not to think about it too much because it hurts. Not just as a United fan but because of the way his life has gone and it could have been so much easier.

Imagine if we'd signed Gazza and Shearer!

Apparently also, this is slightly off topic, but apparently we tried to sign Pele after the 68' European Cup win but he chose to stay in Brazil! Can you imagine if we had Pele, Law, Best and Charlton in one team!!

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
We also nearly signed Alfredo di Stefano but FA wouldn't let us pay the money... ********.
The one that always makes me laugh is Sheffield United nearly signed Maradonna but then decided against it... inspired lol.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
We also nearly signed Alfredo di Stefano but FA wouldn't let us pay the money... ********.
l.
Funny that, i was going to mention diStefano when I read Richie's post. After the Munich crash he kindly offered to come play for United. I never heard about the FA bit though :confused:

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Old news, why on earth was this thread created? He publicly stated this and that he believes gazza wouldnt have turned into an alcoholic nut if he signed for United.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Funny that, i was going to mention diStefano when I read Richie's post. After the Munich crash he kindly offered to come play for United. I never heard about the FA bit though :confused:
I thought that was di stefano, might have got the two the wrong way round ie. Di Stefano board didn't want and fa stopped sheffield signing Maradonna... i remember readin about them both a while ago... i'll find out for certain and comment on this.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
You got a source for that? Cuz its the first time I've ever heard that about him or Pele. That would have been awesome, If we had him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
You got a source for that? Cuz its the first time I've ever heard that about him or Pele. That would have been awesome, If we had him.
I got confused about diStefano joining. It was actually his team mate, the great Ferenc Puskas who offered to join United after the Munich disaster. However he didnt speak English and the move never materialised.
never heard about the Pele bit though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts