Manchester United Talk banner

Fergie Wants 20 Goals Each

1K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  FozzyBear 
#1 ·
Sir Alex Ferguson Expects 20 Goals Each From His Front Four

Sir Alex is hoping his front men can score 80 goals between them this season.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed that he believes his front four players of Dimitar Berbatov, Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo can all bag 20 goals each this season.

The reigning champions have regained the lead of the Premier League in recent weeks yet it has been their defence rather than their famous attack, which has won most of the plaudits so far this season.

However, the Red Devils thumped West Bromwich Albion 5-0 in midweek, and Ferguson has backed his forwards to keep banging in the goals until the end of the season.

“I certainly think they are capable of doing it. Quite rightly the defenders have been taking the credit this season up until now,†he said before adding, “I just hope now that it's going to be the forwards who take the credit.â€

Cristiano Ronaldo is United's top scorer in the league with 10 goals, and Ferguson is confident he will once again finish the season with over 20 goals, but also backed his fellow forwards to do the same.

The Scot explained: “So he [Ronaldo] will without doubt end up with over 20. Berbatov's record at Tottenham was 20 goals or more a season and we expect that again. And of course if we get the extra stuff from Carlos and Wayne it gives us a better chance.â€

Ferguson also went on to laud Berbatov's recent form, which has seen him score four times in his last five games for the Old Trafford outfit.

“The most important aspect is the other players are understanding him now,†said the United boss.

“They are feeding him with passes, playing to him much more and bringing him much more into the play now.

“It took the players time to recognise his talents. He's a different type of player from what we are used to but now they are doing that and you are seeing the benefits of that.â€

The Red Devils take on an in-form Everton side today and have the chance to stretch their lead at the summit of the league as Chelsea and Liverpool meet tomorrow.

However, Ferguson admitted he won't concerns about results elsewhere, but only by what happened to his side.

“If we win, I don't care what happens at Anfield; if they both lose that would be the perfect day!†he said, “Look after yourselves is the name of the game. Do your job and you don't have to worry about elsewhere.â

So Do YOU think they can do it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Barring injury it shouldnt be a problem at all.
They are all in double figures already and have yet to really hit top form.
I think its safe to say that at least 3 of them will get over 20.
Its scary when you think of last season. Only Ronaldo got over 20 :eek:
and look at what we won.

#7 ·
Richie said:
Its definitely conceivable that they could get 80 between them, whether they can get 20 each will probably depend on how much playing time Tevez can get and how consistent Rooney can be.
yup good point! i can see ronaldo and berba getting 20 goals easily enough but Tevez as soon as he comes back will barely get any playing time imo just like before Rooneys injury while fore Rooney its all about consistency he will get in a run were he will be in red hot form and get maybe 7 goals in 6 games or something like that and then hit a bad patch and not score for another 10

#10 ·
cantos red army said:
the scary thing is though that messi already has over 20 goals and etoos not far off the mark either
Well Eto'o does already have over 20 goals himself, he has 19 in 18 games in the league!! :eek:

United and Barcelona are the two best teams in the world there's no doubt. I hope if we met them our defense could handle them better than anybody else can. And hopefully having Berbatov in the team will help us keep possession in their half which we couldn't do when we last played them.

But imagine having a team with Eto'o and Messi playing like they are and Thierry Henry who actually has about 15 goals himself!

They are a bit vulnerable in defense, which I think we could exploit, but it Spain it hasn't affected them because their oponents rarely get the ball!

I actually think our 4 goal scorers, are all about to hit their best form at the same time and we really could start banging the goals in.

#12 ·
Richie said:
Well Eto'o does already have over 20 goals himself, he has 19 in 18 games in the league!! :eek:

United and Barcelona are the two best teams in the world there's no doubt. I hope if we met them our defense could handle them better than anybody else can. And hopefully having Berbatov in the team will help us keep possession in their half which we couldn't do when we last played them.

But imagine having a team with Eto'o and Messi playing like they are and Thierry Henry who actually has about 15 goals himself!

They are a bit vulnerable in defense, which I think we could exploit, but it Spain it hasn't affected them because their oponents rarely get the ball!

I actually think our 4 goal scorers, are all about to hit their best form at the same time and we really could start banging the goals in.

Infact don't trust those stats I just gave you! I got the off the sky sports website and I just looked and it also says Berbatov has 12 goals in 18 league games :S

#17 ·
Here is the stats;

Ronaldo - 14
Rooney - 12
Berbatov - 11
Tevez - 10

It's possible but I think it depends on what happens when Rooney comes back and the fitness of the 4 players. It also depends on the simple fact of how far we get in the various competitions (obviously more games, and more rotation between the front players.)

I think that Tevez will get put on the bench again when he does, and I'm not sure how much time he will get. The fact that he has 10 goals already is a respectable amount to have, considering how much time he has had on the pitch.

As for if they can all get 20, I think it's going to be close. All 4 will need to be on good form and sharp in front of goal, as well as us creating as many chances as we have been.

#25 ·
Richie said:

Wouldn't it be more efficient for our strikers to hit top form at different times Richie? That way United won't be goal starved at any point of time. Just my view. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.