Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=633977

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the winner when Manchester United travel to Chelsea on 26th April will end up lifting the Premiership trophy. It seems the Scot thinks it's now a two-horse race.

United and Chelsea both emerged victorious on Sunday, defeating Liverpool and Arsenal respectively.

The Red Devils are now five points clear at the top of the league, but it now the Blues, not the Gunners, who are in second place.

Chelsea The Real Threat

United must still face Arsenal at Old Trafford, but boss Ferguson seems more worried about next month's trip to west London to face Chelsea.

“I have said all along that Chelsea hold the key because they had to play Arsenal at home and we still have to go to Stamford Bridge," said Fergie.

Home Fortress

“They have a formidable home record so we know how tough it is going to be down there," continued Fergie of the Bridge, where Chelsea haven't lost at home domestically for four years. "It will be a big factor in determining who wins the title.

We have a nice cushion but there are some very difficult games to come - so no one can say we are certain to win the title," added Fergie, who nevertheless knows that a draw at the Bridge will be enough - as long as United continue to pick up results elsewhere. "The team that shows real consistency over these closing games will be champions and, hopefully, we will do that," he added.

Two seasons ago Chelsea wrapped up the title with a 3-0 win over United at the Bridge, while last season's league clash between the pair came after the Red Devils had secured their first championship since 2003.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
my opinion is that if we win all our games until the one with chelski...we're 90% champions.The last 2 games are more than acceptable...

·
Banned
836 Posts
Crown Fergie At The Bridge

United head for Stamford Bridge on April 26 and, if they’ve won the four games before and then beat Chelsea, they can’t be caught. What would make that extra sweet for United fans is that they had to sit and suffer in West London two years ago as Chelsea won 3-0 to celebrate the title on a day that Wayne Rooney broke a metatarsal. United’s Patrice Evra described the remaining fixtures as “seven finals”. In fact, if United win the next five, which includes the visit of Arsenal on April 13, they simply can’t be overtaken. Manager Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged: “I think Chelsea hold the key. We’ve still got to go to Stamford Bridge where they’ve got a formidable record.”
Bill Thornton, Daily Star

Elsewhere, the topic of respect is filling the column inches after Javier Mascherano's petulant display towards referee Steve Bennett at Old Trafford on Sunday. Mascherano, who was shown a second yellow card for dissent, could face an FA charge for his actions, according to The Independent. In The Sun, former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright offers a four-point plan for bringing respect back to the game. He believes clubs should be deducted points if players are found guilty of dissent and says only captains should be allowed to speak to referees if there is a dispute.

In The Times, Tony Cascarino says the only way to stop Cristiano Ronaldo may be to man-mark him. Cascarino calls the Reds' winger a "genius" before saying it's "surely time to man-mark him, to get in his face, to shadow his every move".

Taken from ManUtd.com
The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.

·
Banned
836 Posts
I was in a pub watching that game back in 2006 and it hurt me so much, I yelled,

"You cheating DELETED, you bought the title with your DELETED russian billionaire."

After that, I thought we would probably have to wait another 25 years or something like that. I remember Roy Keane saying something similar, that if we dont pull our weight, we could end up like Liverpool, not winning the league, for another 15 years or something.

Swearwords edited out !! Please refrain from swearing in your posts.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
I was in a pub watching that game back in 2006 and it hurt me so much, I yelled,

"You cheating DELETED, you bought the title with your DELETED russian billionaire."

After that, I thought we would probably have to wait another 25 years or something like that. I remember Roy Keane saying something similar, that if we dont pull our weight, we could end up like Liverpool, not winning the league, for another 15 years or something.

Swearwords edited out !! Please refrain from swearing in your posts.

i was in the pub for the fixture at SB last season for the guard of honour.
sweet sweet revenge.

i think a draw will do at SB this season as long as we don't fumble our must win games beforehand. I think a draw will do against arsenal but i would love to give them another hiding at OT before the seasons out.

Anyway by my calculations if we draw against arsenal, and lose against Chelski and win ALL our other matches.....we still win the league on goal difference!! (im banking on us having a better gd as we have a far superior to either chelsk or looserpool now)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
united this time can really beat chelski at the bridge! Our defense has improved but the battle still in my mind is all about mid f. play .this time we have more depth in squad but i really believe that if anderson and his middle partner have a hard hitting game we should catch chelski on their attack and show them what real speed is about!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Chelsea are looking the more likely challengers now, and I think if we did win at Stamford Bridge, the league is as good as ours. Having said that, we need to pick up points in out four games between now and then.

Chelsea have a formidable record at home but what better way to end it, than with a MUFC win, and a 10th Premiership Title :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah Fergie is right...its between Chelsea and Man United for the title...Arsenal do not the depth to challenge for both Europe and EPL at once...kind of like us last season? I always said Arsenal will end up 3rd and Chelsea will be 2nd and United will be 1st and it looks like thats whats going to happen and I also cheekly said Everton 4th and Liverpoo 5th and I really hope its going to happen!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
vintage fergie.....but he is right...arsenal will have to win all their matches with very high goal difference if we lose only 2 mathces......if we lose or draw they will need the results to beat chelsea...so arsenal are virtually out of the league chase........will be interesting though

·
Registered
216 Posts
watching yet another 'attempt' on goal go sailing off over the horizon.i fell sorry for the gunners.they should be' WRITTEN' off and start planning 4 next season.

·
23,699 Posts
I always believe our greatest opponent and antagonist is not Chelsea, Arsenal or any other but OURSELVES. If we play to what we know we are capable of, unlike those banana skins we tripped over in some games so far, there is absolutely nothing the rest can do. Rant, war cry, influence, affect, mind games and whatsoever they can come up with are simply useless.

It is really our title to lose. Let's worry more about ourselves than others.

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
versa said:
I always believe our greatest opponent and antagonist is not Chelsea, Arsenal or any other but OURSELVES. If we play to what we know we are capable of, unlike those banana skins we tripped over in some games so far, there is absolutely nothing the rest can do. Rant, war cry, influence, affect, mind games and whatsoever they can come up with are simply useless.

It is really our title to lose. Let's worry more about ourselves than others.

Hear Hear :p

(Btw, Are you following me?) lmao :*)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think we can beat them at the Bridge

Does anybody else feel that the title could very well be decided on the day we meet Chelsea at Stamford Bridge? I don't know but this whole season is all of a sudden starting to have an auspicious feel about it. I, for one, am truly glad we're out of the FA Cup because not only does that leave our team fresh but it's been a truly splendid thing to watch Barnsley knock out Liverpool at Anfield then wipe that stupid grin of Terry's face just as he was bagging Liverpool for losing to Barnsley. I get the funny feeling we've got a good shot at a Champions League/Premiership double. Like I said I think if we win at the Bridge we'll knick the title, just, & I've got a good feeling about this. I also believe the CL will come down to a key moment. If we beat Roma I think the semi will determine our fate. If we make the CL final I think we'll win it. I've got no facts for any of this, just a funny feeling in my gut. Of course that could be indigestion but I'm pretty sure it isn't. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts