1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He played the 4-5-1 AGAIN in Europe but we got through,
which I guess is the main thing but there was no style or
panache. It was pretty uneffective attacking wise and
there was no threat or fluency in both games.

Will he continue with the formation?
Does it matter if we keep winning?
Or should we play 4-4-2, the United way?

Any thoughts on the matter?.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Totally stinking!
When Fergie converted the system to 4-4-2 we saw a more attacking United with alot of speed and technical balance! I think from now on, we should play 2 strikers, because quite frankly, Rooney playing as a lone striker makes him less efficient!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
as a spectator, of course we would want the team to play attractive attacking play. today, we got the lucky break through from ronaldo, aside from that, we didn really create anything in the game. our passing was not fluent, no one-touch football from our players, and when we got into decent positions, no end product. normally, when we got the ball back in midfield, we can see all the movements from the players going forward, but none of that happen today. so i dun think it is all down to the formation. none of our attackers turn on their game today, in the second half, the team was happy to sit back and defend, playing some counter attacking, but i didn see the anxiety of the players to get the second goal.
playing 442 could have change the whole complexity of the game, we could have really imposed ourselves on the opposition, and none of the above mentioned would have happened, but if these two matches can send clear message to sir alex, then we can consider ourselves very lucky to have gotten through unscratched

·
Registered
854 Posts
i am one of the biggest critics of the 4-5-1 system. however i tink tonite it worked a treat. I thought Lyon looked a preety good side and really looked dangerous without creating too much. I tink they didnt create much because fletch and carrick did their job well. It was just bout gettin through tonite. and not conceding a goal, particularly early on was essential. I hope we play a bit mor attacking in future games. 4-4-2 against barca at home or away and we would murder them. i honestly believe that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It worked because we got through and we can have no complaints,
but the general feeling amongst fans is unease and not too happy
with the performance, despite the win.
Im obviously happy but slightly concerned and my nails took a good
chewing tonight....

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
i think possession of the ball is on the most important aspects of european football and because we often seem predictable in our passing unlike european teams from spain for example i think it works well, i'm sure fergie will change it for when he thinks it suits the game and team. Lyon are a good team imo and it worked so i think at the moment i have no problem with it.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I would like to say how poor Rooney's finishing is. Someone needs to get hold of him on the training pitch and teach him how to put the ball in the net. Look at his performance against Arsenal in the FA Cup, he missed so many easy chances in that match. Against Lyon last night all he had to do was put it past the keeper but he tried a ridiculous back flick and ended up on his backside.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
mate - i thought there was threat all right. especially in the 2nd half. so many times i saw us having 2 on 1 counter attck, and that rooney's chance... he really needs to work more on 1 on 1's. i thought it was smartly led match by solid contribution. italian style i would say - we never looked out

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
lyon came to defend and hoped to nick one on the break .

that led to a congested final third and it was never going to be easy fashioning chances that were clear cut .

as for rooney and his finishing i would contest much like andy cole that although he needs three or four chances to score one he gets chances that ruud would never have done through his inteligence and workrate .

prem sides generally come to have a go but lyon never had that in mind

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Its obvious we should always play 442, just look how much impact Rooney had once Tevez came on... Fergie knows this!

the only thing I can think of for these poor tactics is simply to sample them in Europe against oposition we can/should/did beat relatively easily...

my other guess might be that fergie's keeping his cards close to his chest until the real games!! i doubt he'l line up like that if we have Barca in the next round! but maybe he will if we have Fenerbache... it'll be interesting to see if thats his plan!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think it all depends on the opponent we are facing. Frankly im not in favour of the 4-5-1 formation, i prefer 4-3-3 or the typical 4-4-2 but if we were talking about the Lyon game, it seem to work for us, only thing is that our guys disappoint us a bit by not going all out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I reckon the 4-5-1 formation gets a bad rep as its used primarily has a defensive tactic (used alot on second leg games)...but I think, used properly, it has alot of attacking potential.

United has alot of midfielders with great attacking qualities...Anderson, Scholes, Fletcher, Park, Carrick...it makes sense to use a variation of a 4-5-1!

I will say that I don't believe Fergy has perfected it yet...but give him time...he knows what hes doing!

I personally would have Tevez/Saha up front as the lone Striker with Rooney playing behind in a Deep-Roving Forwards role with Anderson joining attacks from midfield and Hargraeves in a more deep position and Ronaldo and Giggs/Nani on the wings.

Tevez

Rooney

Nani Anderson Ronaldo

Hargraeves

Evra Ferdinand Vidic Brown

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i actually cant stand it any more
were at home why play one striker
just invites pressure

rooney and tevez switched in that formation btw ^^
rooney is more of the front man nowadays

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i think we mustn't play 4-5-1 without Tevez in the team ! all the best home and away games this season against the big one's we played with both of them terrorising defences. arsenal away, liverpool away and chelsea home ! let's keep it up in Europe !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts