Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
Boss slams replay stories

Sir Alex Ferguson is happy to have despatched Tottenham Hotspur from the FA Cup at the first attempt - but he insists a fourth-round replay would not have been an issue for his injury-ravaged squad.

The United boss was angry when his remarks on the possibility of playing extra-time instead of a replay were misreported by a national newspaper.

"It was scandalous stuff in The Sun newspaper, scandalous," Sir Alex told MUTV. "I don't know what we do about these people.

"There was never any question of Manchester United asking to scrap replays. I said that (in my press conference) yesterday. You can’t deny clubs like Southend and Torquay the chance to get some glory for themselves and get some revenue.

"I’d have taken a replay (against Tottenham), I don’t think there would have been any problem with that. But nonetheless it’s better to get through."

Parity that might have led to a replay was scarce on Saturday. First, Roman Pavlyuchenko broke the deadlock in Tottenham's favour after just five minutes and when United later levelled at 1-1, that scoreline survived only fleetingly.

"We recovered well - the goalkeeper made two or three good saves and Carlos Tevez hit the crossbar," reflected Sir Alex, on the period when his team trailed 0-1.

"Then Paul (Scholes) got us back in the game. I'm not sure if it was going wide (before it hit Spurs' Tom Huddlestone), but I think it should be credited to him because it was a terrific hit.

"Berbatov’s (winning) goal was fantastic, from a marvellous pass by Michael Carrick."

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
Whats the deal with Fergies rant? Think it was aimed at The Sun newspaper??
Well seeing as he clearly stated "The Sun should be ashamed of themselves, the wont be making it into my press conferences for a long time." We can clearly see that it was aimed at the Sun.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
a little story appeared in the sun that fergie had said he was considering invoking an fa cup rule whereby teams can agree to play extra time instead of a replay. it's usually meant to help little teams, but the sun suggested we were trying to use it.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Justice said:
Well seeing as he clearly stated "The Sun should be ashamed of themselves, the wont be making it into my press conferences for a long time." We can clearly see that it was aimed at the Sun.
Alright smart arse,i was leathered last night and my misses and bros misses where yappin so loud we couldnt hear the tele.......

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedAdam said:
a little story appeared in the sun that fergie had said he was considering invoking an fa cup rule whereby teams can agree to play extra time instead of a replay. it's usually meant to help little teams, but the sun suggested we were trying to use it.
Thanks,thats all i needed :)

·
Banned
33 Posts
ALEX FERGUSON has triggered a row that could turn into the biggest threat ever to face the FA Cup.

The Manchester United boss discovered a 128-year-old law that means replays can be avoided — and immediately tried to invoke it for today's fourth-round clash against Spurs.

The barely-known rule states clubs that draw their first game after 90 minutes can play extra time straight away — and not wait for a replay.

Fergie dismissed claims he was meddling with history. He argued: “It is in the articles of the Association that both teams can apply to have the game decided first time.

“The criticism would be we are not adhering to the principles and spirit of the FA Cup.

“But why have the FA got it in there? It is their problem. We will investigate it.â€

The FA confirmed the rule exists but TV companies will take legal action if anyone tries to make it happen.

Fergie's bid to invoke the rule against Spurs failed because both clubs have to inform the FA within seven days of being drawn against each other.

Setanta Sports and ITV forked out £425m for a four-year deal to cover the FA Cup and England home matches.

A Setanta source said: “We agreed a contract which gives us full access to each round and replays.

“We were not made aware of any loophole involving replays. If our coverage was cut back we would mount a legal challenge.â€

An FA spokesman said: “This rule is aimed at the preliminary rounds to help teams with geographical distances.â€

That was the s*n report

S

·
0 Posts
BabyReD said:
ALEX FERGUSON has triggered a row that could turn into the biggest threat ever to face the FA Cup.

The Manchester United boss discovered a 128-year-old law that means replays can be avoided — and immediately tried to invoke it for today's fourth-round clash against Spurs.

The barely-known rule states clubs that draw their first game after 90 minutes can play extra time straight away — and not wait for a replay.

Fergie dismissed claims he was meddling with history. He argued: “It is in the articles of the Association that both teams can apply to have the game decided first time.

“The criticism would be we are not adhering to the principles and spirit of the FA Cup.

“But why have the FA got it in there? It is their problem. We will investigate it.â€

The FA confirmed the rule exists but TV companies will take legal action if anyone tries to make it happen.

Fergie's bid to invoke the rule against Spurs failed because both clubs have to inform the FA within seven days of being drawn against each other.

Setanta Sports and ITV forked out £425m for a four-year deal to cover the FA Cup and England home matches.

A Setanta source said: “We agreed a contract which gives us full access to each round and replays.

“We were not made aware of any loophole involving replays. If our coverage was cut back we would mount a legal challenge.â€

An FA spokesman said: “This rule is aimed at the preliminary rounds to help teams with geographical distances.â€

That was the s*n report
Well i never knew that :D
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/18375-fergie-uproots-fa-cup-rule-book.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
RedAdam said:
We should use it. Cup replays are stupid. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts